Endless runner with spawns based on player progression

markfirmanmarkfirman Member, BASIC Posts: 18
edited January 2015 in Working with GS (PC)

Hello all,

As this is my first GameSalad Forum Post, I'd just like to say Hi! So yeah... Hi!

I've been working with Gamesalad for the last few months, mainly through trial and error although I have followed A LOT of good tutorials on here and found waves of resources elsewhere online. Despite this I'm at a bit of a loss...

I have setup a scene that will scroll platforms and scenery objects endlessly and a character that can jump. My problem is that I cannot work out how to change these platforms based on player progression.

Basically, as the character reaches a certain score I want the platform and scenery to change image to reflect a "new level" without changing scene. Could someone explain how this is possible? I've viewed a few examples online using either Timers or Tables, but to no avail.

Regards,
Mark

EDIT: not that I think it makes a difference but I'm using the PC version of GameSalad - I have a Mac available if required (just prefer windows)

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Let's say you have the following timer:

Timer every 0.3 seconds
    Spawn actor [white platform]

To add score variety, you might do this instead:
    Timer every 0.3 seconds
    If attribute game.score > 500
    Spawn actor [blue platform]
    Else
    Spawn actor [white platform]

You could then have a bunch of nested if/else rules for each possible score range. And if the progression is mathematical (e.g. Every 500 points) then a mod() function or other means of automating the rules would be simpler.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• markfirmanmarkfirman Member, BASIC Posts: 18

Ok, thanks for the reply - I'll see what happens