Intel core i5 working with gamesalad?

digitalzerodigitalzero Member, BASIC Posts: 639

Would this work with gamegamesalad... I'm thinking of getting a mac

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Yes.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

I have a laptop with i5 and it runs fine. Runs with Maverick.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912
    edited February 2015

Yes, pay attention to the number of cores and ram.
    I have a quad core i7 processor with 8 GB of ram.

I have two monitors connected to my Macbook pro and I have no problems running GS and or multiple processor heavy applications like Maya, Photoshop and After Effects simultaneously.

However the most important thing is number of cores your processor has. Honestly, anything less than a quad core is no good. Stay away from dual cores and try to have at least 8Gb of ram. The more the better but 8GB is good enough so as long as you have a quad core possessor.

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• ferzhengferzheng Member, PRO Posts: 40

@robertkdale said:
    Yes, pay attention to the number of cores and ram.
    I have a quad core i7 processor with 8 GB of ram.

I have two monitors connected to my Macbook pro and I have no problems running GS and or multiple processor heavy applications like Maya, Photoshop and After Effects simultaneously.

However the most important thing is number of cores your processor has. Honestly, anything less than a quad core is no good. Stay away from dual cores and try to have at least 8Gb of ram. The more the better but 8GB is good enough so as long as you have a quad core possessor.

Hey Robert,

May i ask you if there would be any notable difference when choosing a 15 inch Macbook Pro to be upgraded from the base-model 2.2 i7 quad core to 2.5 or 2.8? Considering GameSalad and Photoshop as the primary use.
    Also, would a MacBook Air be enough or you highly recommend macbook pros?

Thank you!

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

Really? I'm having no problem with my Mac Mini Intel Core i5 running Mavericks.

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

I would suggest doing a search on how mac laptops perform after 'upgrades', if you are thinking of going that route

@floatingwoo
    @ant_lad

Hey guys,

Do you know if the number of cores matter much when choosing the right MacBook (Air/Pro) for game development apart from upgrading the RAM?

Also, if a quad core 2.2ghz intel i7 would have a notable difference compared to an upgrade to 2.5 or 2.8.

Thank you!

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

I don't have much to comment about cores. My finding is that most developers do not develop to utilize more than 1 core. They use the bare minimum to shift things around.

If you are looking to upgrade or buy an upgraded mac laptop, do some research first, a lot of them don't perform well after upgrades

@ant_lad said:
    I don't have much to comment about cores. My finding is that most developers do not develop to utilize more than 1 core. They use the bare minimum to shift things around.

If you are looking to upgrade or buy an upgraded mac laptop, do some research first, a lot of them don't perform well after upgrades

My biggest concern is the issue about GameSalad that it becomes very slow after heavy usage, and i believe it is the CPU, but is it really the CPU, cores, that make it slow and crash or is it a bug which proves me wrong?

• Nate_SNate_S Nate - Pixel Artist - Developer - Graphics Designer Member Posts: 86

Once of my PC's has a I5 and it runs fine.

**Nate - Pixel Artist - Developer - Graphics Designer **

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2015

I can run gamesalad perfectly fine on a core 2 duo and also ok when on a win VM using a single core on an i7. 4GB ram and a reasonable dual core is totally adequate for GS which is pretty lightweight when not leaking furiously.