Why each update is worse than previous?

LARSLARS Member Posts: 19
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
I love you guys…but I must ask you "What's a hell is going on?" When 0.4.6 update was released you've changed physics: collisions and "Change velocity" behavior began to work much worse than in 0.4.5…ok - I've solved it, but it was so hard, that I sometimes wanted to stop developing the game. And now, you release 0.5.0…and…my moving objects is shaking now, and MOVEMENT IS NOT SMOOTH(I'm quiet about other bugs)!!! You may say "look at your game logic", ok - load your tennis example, and compare ball movement with 0.4.8 release! I use simple "Move" and "Change velosity" behaviors.

And now, tell me please, FOR WHAT MUST I GIVE $500 or even $1500 per year?????? My game is ready to compile, I have an artist, game designer and I pay them. What should I do now? Wait for new updates? New surprises in game engine?...you've SET pricing, that means there must not be cardinal changes...i think)

…and please, take one or two more weeks for testing your product before release something new…

Best regards...

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    I have noticed no bugs with the things that you mentioned... So I have no answer for this rant...

I'll be the first to admit that there are bugs in the engine, but I've been with GS since March & have noticed nothing but improvements, so forgive me if I tell you to again look at the logic in your game.

And as far as setting pricing, make sure you read the part about EARLY ACCESS PROGRAM, which implies the engine is still a work in progress. Best regards & good luck working out your games logic, hopefully you get the bugs out.
  • LARSLARS Member Posts: 19
    look, I drop single object to the empty scene, give him "move" behavior, and comparing its movement 0.4.8 and 0.5 I notice that the movement is not equal! 0.5 version is shaking! There is no other objects in the scene, no other behavoirs - just test! It looks like there was changes in engine, or mistake in compilation... I use Macbook pro 2Ghz 2Gb RAM, SNOW LEOPARD...but can this be the problem? few days ago a used 0.4.8 version and everything was fine...

please, launch 2 versions, load one scene with moving object, and compare...(just small white actor on the black backgroung)

you know, if there is a big object, may be this bug will be hard to mark, but my object has 35x35px, and it is very clear to notice!
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    so maybee there is a bug that will be fixed in the next versions... but i can't see that GS is getting worse with each version...

I think we are getting very fast a lot of updates... at the homepage you can still read a big BETA and while i hesitate too to release my games because of a number of reasons that has to be fixed i am very satisfied to test my games on the ipod with the accelerometer, info about memory usage ...etc...

just my opinion...
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Hey Lars,
    As a rule, I only keep the most up to date version of GS on my computer. Don't want the poor thing to get confused!

So I won't be trying out your test. But really, I have no reason to. I've got some games that I started back in April when I joined, and they work FINE.

This includes movements, complicated behaviours, etc etc.

The only time I ever had a problem with an update was when XY scene wrap was put as 'on' by default. It meant I had to go through all scenes in all my games and click the boxes off.

So my experience is totally different to yours it seems.

I have no idea why you are having the experiences you are, but I can imagine that it's quite frustrating to say the least.

I hope you fix your problem, or that someone else can help.

Cheers,

QS :)

Edit: As a quick test, try making the image and actor size 32x32 instead of 35x35. I don't think it'll make much difference, but would be interesting if it *did*, no?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

thanks, quantumsheep...I don't want why this problem happens too, but it does) I'll try to check the logic, but I can't understand why 0.5 release is so different than 0.4.8??? What new fixes was made? I didn't find any information in the forum...And, may be Snow Leopard conflicts?...anyway, thanks to everyone )
    32x32 dd it too...I can't understand this nonsence)

I'll try to launch it on leopard, and check.
    Lars have you tried to use the accelerate- instead of the move-behaviour ... i remember that i have made some tests for one of my games that moves relativ fast and i have decided to move my actors with the accelerate-behaviour instead with the move-behaviour ... because of the smoother movement...
    SDMG, no, acceleration shakes too...I begin to shink that the problem is in OS) If you guys don't have this problems, what else can be?)
    hmm... i have 10 moving actors at 36fps runnig very smooth, how much fps do you have?
    can you upload your game or tests to the gamesection so that we could have a look on it?

EDIT: btw i am at home in front of a powerpc-mac... so i can't test or have a look ... but would give you feedback tomorrow when i am in the office again...
    you know, I didn't check fps, but speed is the same, that in 0.4.8 release...but...a little shake around...it seems like X and Y offsets is not ROUNDED or TRUNCATED correctly in the code, or is not processed well by the release...
    ok...I will make a few tests more, and tell about the results tomorrow
    Lars ... unfortunatly i have deleted the 0.48 built of GS... so i can only have a look at the ball movement in the tennis-example running GS 0.50.

i have seen 2-3 jitters in 5 gameplays... beside this the movement is very smooth... on Macbook Pro 2 GHz, 4GB Ram.
    ok, I will check game logic, may be something needs to be changed, but can you post the list of fixed bugs in 0.5.0? It may be useful for me =) Because my progect works different in 0.4.8 and 0.5.0, and I don't know why.

P.S. Sorry if I was too arrogant ;)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    It's ok - there's been many a time that I've cursed the software, only to find out later that it was something *I'd* done wrong!

I didn't do it so publicly though ;)

Good luck with it,

QS :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• jhaasjhaas Member Posts: 233
    Since we're talking updates - my vote for the next release is to address some of the performance issues - BEFORE new features are added.

We can't fully leverage the toys we have, let alone get new ones until a basic game can be created and run for a prolonged period without the glitches and stuttering some of us seem to be experiencing.(Plus if you want to climb out of the .99 price point - this is absolutely essential.)

So here's to 5.0.1 - long live GS ! :)