Open Source Project for Learning

motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429
edited February 2015 in Community Tutorials

@bluebyu25 had a very interesting thread that never went anywhere a few years ago. An open source project. I independently thought of this idea the other day but found his thread when I did a search where he had the same idea. I just think it would be a great idea to do an open source project where we could individually improve a project and/or show alternative coding to solve problems for the project. Users could showcase clever uses of game level attributes, actor attributes, tables, expression editor, etc. We could leave notes in our sections that explain all the thinking and steps. Perhaps you are really good at having all your games complex or not running at 60fps where as a less experienced coder would not and could learn from you. What do you all think??

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I think it sounds like a fun idea, but I think a big big hurdle for doing this kind of thing with Gamesalad at the moment is there is no way for groups to work effectively on a single file/project unfortunately.

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429

@jamie_c what if we just had a dropbox folder that everyone could share? We could have iterations of the project. So that anyone could download the project and re-upload their iteration. Is that what you mean by groups or do you mean people just don't get along in this type of scenario?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

I believe it would be a lot on whoever decides to manage this. Having a bunch of different project files and merging them.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited February 2015

or what if users had the possibility to make a small demo project of some smart code snippet... what if the user then could zip that file and attach it to a forum post or upload it to e.g. dropbox and attach a link to the file in the forum post in order to share it... what if there e.g. would be a "spare code" thread for this type of cool stuff too...

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2015

I added a link to the original discussion in the first post. Every so often, this idea crops up. It sounds amazing but in practice it never works. I've yet to see even a small group of people on the forums create an app together much less the entire community. I'm not saying that people don't end up working together or hiring each other -- as that certainly occurs -- but this idea of an open source project is one that seems to be mostly impossible.

As an example, another user suggested an open source custom keyboard. He and I started the project and I contributed a great deal to it in order to build a basic custom keyboard. We continued to ask the community to contribute in ways large or small. No one really did so the project ceased. And that was just a keyboard template, not a full app. The reality is that most of us just don't have time to work together on a large project of that nature.

All that being said, @dreichelt, there's nothing stopping you from getting this going. ;)

@JSProject you mean like this? http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/52494/spare-code-dump-it-here/p1

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

I wonder if my message came across ;)

@tatiang just shows there's nothing new under the sun lol. I am def under my own time constraints but I am going to formulate a detailed plan in regards to this idea and once I have it all figured out I will be more than happy to be in charge of keeping it alive. I think that's what something like this needs is a director with a vision to rally the troops. If you don't have that then it will fizzle out as it did for you. BUT this person would need time to dedicate to it which is hard for every single one of us I'm sure myself included. Even if I can't implement this until much later in the year I'll make my best attempt and see how it goes. I'm not really thinking in regards to spare code as I am already aware of that awesome thread. I'm more interested in one game project that implements a variety of ideas in regards to programming techniques. I may even make up a project where I have in mind the main things I think would be of benefit to the community as a whole. Things like using the expression editor in more complex ways, using tables, etc.

@JSproject said:
    I wonder if my message came across ;)

Sarcasm? If that's what you meant I think you were too subtle lol

hehe

edited February 2015

I may even make up a project where I have in mind the main things I think would be of benefit to the community as a whole. Things like using the expression editor in more complex ways, using tables, etc.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/76943/tables-functions/p1

When I started using GameSalad, there was a Wiki. I really miss that. I think it's a great way to keep track of information and build on knowledge without requiring the linear model of the forums.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited February 2015

Yeah, I missed the sarcasm, too. I'm not sure what your point was, @JSproject... just that this has already been done or that it's been done and not well or...?

edited February 2015

@tatiang I think that it's been discussed a bunch. @JSproject is in a slightly facetious mood today haha

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@dreichelt, by working together I meant something to allow people to check in and out files, collaborate on the same files at the same time, etc. I'm sure a more manual approach could be used like you mention, that would just take more management.