Scrolling Textbox

JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
How do you create a scrolling Textbox. I want the background to not move and I want the middle of the screen to have a display text actor that scrolls. Thanks.

Comments

• harrioharrio Member Posts: 234
    what's cookin,

do you mean like a menu or picker of some sort, or just text to be read like a story?

noodles...
  • JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    I have a heading at the top and a button at the bottom (as part of the background image). I want to put my help text in the middle and have it scroll.
    what's cookin,

well, i can't think of a way using the gs text behaviors, but you could make your help text an image that you place behind your background image. place a 'hole/window' in the background image where you want the text/image to be seen and create controls to move the help image for scrolling.

that might work.

noodles...
    Any other suggestions?
    what's cookin,

you could put the heading and buttons on top and make the text the background and make it scrollable.

noodles...
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    Do it as an animation using a PNG sequence. Really depends on the amount of info you want to display in the help section too. If it's one or 2 messages fine, if its absolutely heaps of text better off just using text and animate it with behaviours and put a fake image overlay as a masking object.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    couldn't you create an actor with a display text behavior and then give it 2 move behaviors (L & R) but set it up to move opposite to the arrow key (or arrow button that you create for the touch screen) so that when you touch the R button the text moves left which would reveal more of the text to the right. And then if you wanted to read something that just went off the screen to the left you press the L button and the text moves back to the right so that you can reread the directions. In other words the R button allows you to READ the text that starts out outside the screen to the right by moving the text actor left.

I haven't tried this but it seems like it would work.

EDIT: Obviously if you want the player to be able to control the scrolling put the each move behavior in a rule that says when mouse (or touch) is over button and mouse (or touch) is down.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    I like the cutting a "hole" where you want the text to show and making it transparent then moving your image with text, or a display text actor behind that.
    Thanks... I will give these ideas a try.
    I put a display box on my background with help text. I then put a top header and a bottom with my return button on a different level. Basically just like you would do your HUD. I think the ability to have a scrolling display box would be nice.

This was the last item to complete for my first game (using GameSalad). I would like to test this for the IPhone if the GameSalad viewer ever gets released.