Using .png images versus jpeg

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
What is best to use in terms of graphics, .png or jpeg? I noticed that jpeg images take up much less memory, does it matter if you use either or?

Comments

• harrioharrio Member Posts: 234
    what's cookin,

jpeg does not support transparency. png does.

noodles...
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    So if you are using a fully opaque, rectangular image such as for a background or block, I'd suggest using jpegs. However, as Harrio mentions, if your image has transparencies, go with pngs.
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    iPhone is optimised to display .png images best. Read a few forums regarding this and Apple suggest that when your iPhone app is compiled there are optimisations done to the PNG images. (Faster / smaller.... not entirely sure)

Has something to do with how efficiently the image is stored in the iPhone GPU.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Interesting, thanks for all the info! I think I'll be using jpegs for background images since the memory or kb's is much less with those, and I can try to squeeze my game into under 10mb, but as for other images like characters, I'll use .png's

That shouldn't affect memory usage that much right, or how efficiently a game runs? As far as the tester is concerned, I haven't noticed much of a difference
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    I just posted on this handy website on shrinking your PNGs. Maybe it'll help in your decisions. I've found that the site shrinks even the PNGs I churn out from photoshop but it's probably due to some mojo that I'm not savvy about, not being a pro designer.

http://www.gracepointafterfive.com/punypng/