Macintosh Creator 0.12.20a Publishing Hotfix

QASaladQASalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 142

Creator 0.12.20a Publishing Hotfix

Fixes:

• Fixed an iOS Version Mismatch rejection issue with iOS apps. Due to this change, the Minimum OS Version option in Web Publishing is now locked to 6.0 for all iOS apps built with 0.12.20 and above to ensure apps can be submitted successfully.

Known Issue:

• iAds are only appearing at the top of the screen even if set to appear at the bottom (Bug 688)
  • For iOS 8 devices, if you are unable to connect to the iOS Viewer, try shutting down and restarting the device.
  • Android devices that use ipv6 will not be able to connect to the Android Viewer over WiFi. Please use the USB connection instead for the Viewer.

NOTE: This is a publishing hotfix only. No new creator to download if you're already using 0.12.20. Please re-generate any apps built with the 0.12.20 release in order to see the changes.

Comments

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited February 2015

That is great. Thanks. I keep holding off on updating some apps because no sooner is one bunch of problems resolved, something else crops up!

This must be making the GS Team crazy. I admire your patience and acknowledge your persistence.

Until tomorrow's Meetup...

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited February 2015

@QASalad hi... cheers for the hot fix.

Is this just a temporary remedy or is there going to be another fix, which lets us choose again between minimum iOS 6,7 and 8?

Currently with it only allowing minimum iOS 6, we still have to support iPhone 3GS (the only remaining 480x320 resolution iOS device), whereas if we can choose minimum iOS of 7.0 or above we can ditch having to worry about it anymore.

Its a fix... but kind of a half fix... as it takes away previously available and useful options :)

• App_MakerApp_Maker Member, PRO Posts: 64

@Chunkypixels said:
    QASalad hi... cheers for the hot fix.

Is this just a temporary remedy or is there going to be another fix, which lets us choose again between minimum iOS 6,7 and 8?

Currently with it only allowing minimum iOS 6, we still have to support iPhone 3GS (the only remaining 480x320 resolution iOS device), whereas if we can choose minimum iOS of 7.0 or above we can ditch having to worry about it anymore.

Its a fix... but kind of a half fix... as it takes away previously available and useful options :)

I was about to say the same. It doesn't allow us to change the minimum OS version as its greyed out at 6.0 OS. Waiting on this to submit updates.

• QASaladQASalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 142

For now just assume this is how it's going to be. Submit away, please.

edited February 2015

@QASalad ... Do you mean submit our apps... Or submit a bug report? ...or both? :)

I'm assuming you don't mean that it's going to stay with just the forced option of minimum iOS 6?

That would be a bit of a bad fix to the situation, as there's going to be users that have released games previously with minimum iOS 7, that are now going to be forced to publish updates with the lower iOS 6... Potentially opening them up to negative issues, with lower spec devices suddenly being able to run their games, that they might have not developed or designed for.

You'll see the trend on the AppStore is to be minimum iOS 7... As it means not having to support any of the older 480x320 resolution devices.

I previously took the risk, and up until the 64bit support requirement, published with iOS 5 as I was reluctant to drop support for the iPad 1st Gen, but if the decision has been forced on me by Apple, then I'd prefer to just make the jump to minimum iOS 7 and ditch any of the older devices completely. Minimum iOS 6.0 still includes the pretty old iPhone 3GS, with it's 480x320 resolution and dated specs, so isn't ideal anymore...

So it ends up being one of those one step forwards, two step backwards kind of fixes, as it's removing previously usable options.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

From what i understand about 64-bit debacle from apple. When submitting, it is suppose to submit a 32-bit and a 64-bit version, each able to run in their perspective devices during runtime. Keep in mind this with making apps in Xcode, not sure how different it is for gamesalad to achieve the same outcome. But as it stands for us, we are stuck with 64-bit only.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

edited February 2015

@Lovejoy so if I'm understanding correctly... even though its minimum iOS 6, your saying our games won't install on iPhone 3GS as they're not 64bit capable devices?.. so shouldn't be an issue, as regardless of whether the device supports iOS6 or not, if it cannot support 64 bit then it won't install games published using the new builds?...

...or something like that? :neutral:

@Chunkypixels said:
    Lovejoy so if I'm understanding correctly... even though its minimum iOS 6, your saying our games won't install on iPhone 3GS as they're not 64bit capable devices?.. so shouldn't be an issue, as regardless of whether the device supports iOS6 or not, if it cannot support 64 bit then it won't install games published using the new builds?...

...or something like that? :neutral:

Thats is what it sounds like, otherwise GS would not have needed to raise the minimum sdk version. Some confirmation would be appreciated.

So my question to gs is:

When publishing thought gamesalad, does it create our apps with both 32-bit and 64-bit support?

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

@Lovejoy said:
    When publishing thought gamesalad, does it create our apps with both 32-bit and 64-bit support?

iPhone 5 and iPad 2, 3 and 4 are all 32-bit devices which cannot run a 64-bit executable. Therefore GS must support both 32 and 64-bit.
    If GS would not do that then you can be sure that Apple would reject the apps once they test on any such 32-bit device.

@MarcMySalad said:

Good point, didn't think of that. Thanks.

edited February 2015

So basically we still need the ability to select the minimum iOS between 6,7 and 8 so that we can specifically choose which hardware to support or not...

..and not just be forced into having the single option of iOS 6

edited February 2015

@Chunkypixels said:
    So basically we still need the ability to select the minimum iOS between 6,7 and 8 so that we can specifically choose which hardware to support or not...

..and not just be forced into having the single option of iOS 6

I think gs staff mentioned in the meet up that a new RC will be out soon, maybe we will see then.

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@Lovejoy said:

Yes, the binary created is a combination 32 and 64-bit binary. Specifically, for you techies, it's armv7/arm64.

@stevej said:
    Yes, the binary created is a combination 32 and 64-bit binary. Specifically, for you techies, it's armv7/arm64.

Thank you very much for the confirmation.

• pilotjoepilotjoe Member, PRO Posts: 31

iAds are still an issue and verified. Looking forward to this fix... going back to the last RC I have to publish. Thanks guys!

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

I am now facing an interesting situation (dead end). I was working on the update of my game for the last 3 months and now I can't use 0.12.10 even 0.12.20.
    0.12.10 - iOS binary rejected because of non 64 bit support (BTW working with GS 0.12.10 is disaster - it is really slow).
    0.12.20 - Bug 688. iAds has to be on the bottom of the screen. I can't disable it. It generates negligible part of revenue. If I turn it off, I can't purchase next year subscription of GS because of unhandsome money drop (every $ is important in this though business). So now I can't update to 0.12.20 and I am scared that bug fix (688) will take another X months. Does exist any ETA? Please be focused on monetization options = money for GS subscriptions!
    I have to say there are plenty of app stores and I understand that everything is changing every while so I am admire that you are handling it well. ;-) And I also have to confirm that there are random app crashes last few months (last time my game randomly crashed during hitting the Chartboost ad close button).

• paisleyroadpaisleyroad Member Posts: 5

Just wondering if there is a near term fix for the iOS 7,8 minimum planned. Choosing whether or not to support 256 RAM devices really should be an option.

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

I was wrong, my apologies. UPDATED apps can be 32 bit to 1st June... "only" NEW apps have to offer 64 bit since 1st February...