Game Salad Staff / Management - Please Read

luke2125luke2125 Member, PRO Posts: 225

Dear Game Salad Staff / Management,

I've been a loyal user of game salad ( Pro ) for about 4 + years, and it has helped to create games using the Game Salad Creator, which I really enjoy. However, as per my understanding, there's a new Platform ( Graphene SDK ) coming out, which is supposed to be better, so my question is, when Graphene comes out, is it going to be a stable version or beta? Cause I'm going to be honest, I can't go through the same of past methods, of testing, testing, testing, and waiting, waiting, waiting, testing, testing, release, testing, etc.....Please don't get me wrong, I think you have a good game engine, but my Pro is expiring this month and I have another game in the works to release before my expiration date, but I have to make a business decision in keep using GameSalad in the future or just move to another Game Engine, even if it means learning C , and paying more. I'm just looking for an application that's stable enough for me to work on my game, without worrying about issues like ( memory management, hangups, png's, not having spritesheets, no .exe export, etc..... ). If Graphene SDK is the answer and it's stable, than I'm all for it, if not, then I'll move on......Thanks Game Salad Staff / Management for reading this and God Bless....

Sincerely,

Sunday

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I think the GS team said they are opening up beta to special users sometime soon. I assume that means that when it's actually released, it will not be in beta. At least, I hope not. :)

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited February 2015

Graphene SDK is already more stable engine-wise than GameSalad. Memory leaks and general performance issues aren't a problem with it. It's been designed from the ground up to be a better performing and more capable system. And the engine is built on top of a well-architected and successful codebase.

Our ability to iterate on Graphene is much improved over GameSalad. Changes are easier to make and releases can be very rapid. So, even with beta, we'll be responding to issues in days vs. weeks.

Although, it's still not ready for public use. So, you'll have to remain patient until we get to that point. Stick with us. You won't be disappointed! :)

• luke2125luke2125 Member, PRO Posts: 225

Hi CodeWizard,

Thanks for those reassuring words, when do you think, it would be ready for public use ( 3 months, 6 months, 1 year ? ). Thanks and God Bless...

Sincerely,

Sunday

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

While I don't think this excuses a lack of features or a proliferation of bugs in software, it does potentially change the way we think about what it means to use "beta" software:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-we-re-all-beta-testers-now/

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited February 2015

@CodeWizard said:
    Graphene SDK is already more stable engine-wise than GameSalad.

Oh, so then what am I doing here? HA!

Rhetorical question, obviously, but I like the candor.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@CodeWizard Yes I agree with @luke2125 , I don't really mind waiting, and I don't want to know the exact release date, but will it be in a couple of weeks, or months (I assume it's not years)?