Display size for iPhone 6/6+ app?

Daniel543MDaniel543M Member, PRO Posts: 47

Hey guys,
I was wondering if I should change the Display Size in the game tab of GS from (480x320) to (1920x1080) as the newer phones have a much larger resolution.

I've been creating my app on the default size settings and it just occurred to me that there might be those black bars on the sides if I were to play it on my iPhone 6.

Is there a way to make the app so that it will fit on all screen sizes?

Hopefully someone is able to clarify all this for me and help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Daniel543M said:
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if I should change the Display Size in the game tab of GS from (480x320) to (1920x1080) as the newer phones have a much larger resolution.

You work at either 1/2 or 1/3 size in GameSalad (depending on the target device), so even if you did want to target a 1920x1080 device you wouldn't set your scene size to 1920x1080, but instead you'd use - for example - 960 x 540 (1/2 size) . . . . but you would make your artwork 200%, so when your 960 x 540 project is displayed on a 1920 x 1080 pixel device it has sufficient resolution.

Just to add a little more confusion into the mix the delivery size for the 1920x1080 pixel iPhone6+ is actually 2208x1242 pixels, this is then scaled down by the device using Open GL . . . and the asset size is x3, which means your GS project should be 736 x 414 pixels.

@Daniel543M said:
    I've been creating my app on the default size settings and it just occurred to me that there might be those black bars on the sides if I were to play it on my iPhone 6.

Yes, if you were to play a 4:3 aspect ratio project on a 16:9 aspect ratio device you will have black bars at the sides (when viewed horizontally). But you can set your project to overscan so the top and the bottom of the 4:3 shape is cropped off instead, or you can opt for stretch which stretches the 4:3 shape to a 16:9 shape - both of these options are compromises.

@Daniel543M said:
    Is there a way to make the app so that it will fit on all screen sizes?

Have the project detect the device screen aspect ratio and move the elements accordingly to accommodate the aspect ratio.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

I recommend starting your project as an iPad project.

As far as making a universal build, some members seem to like @BBEnk method. Here is a his video on universal binaries.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Lovejoy said:
    I recommend starting your project as an iPad project.

+1

• Daniel543MDaniel543M Member, PRO Posts: 47

Thanks guys but I've already started... In fact; I've almost finished the app.

I'm only just now realising that I need to fix the sizes of everything.

Is there a way to change the project size from iPhone Landscape to iPad Landscape without restarting or losing anything I've done?

Changing the size of each graphic I've got wont be such a problem if I can jsut change the project size.

Thanks

@Daniel543M said:
    Is there a way to change the project size from iPhone Landscape to iPad Landscape without restarting or losing anything I've done?

Yes you can just go back home and choose iPad. But first i would make a backup copy of your project just incase. Im not sure exactly what your project entails, but keep in mind that if you have any set x and y coordinates, they will need to be adjusted to better serve the bigger play area.

• Daniel543MDaniel543M Member, PRO Posts: 47

I'm using the Windows version of GS and there is no Home button on it. I'm pretty sure you can't do it on the Windows version.

But I was able to sort of do it by just changing the scene camera sizes to be 1024x768 (which is iPad Landscape I think).

However, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what size I should make my graphics.

For example I have a word that will display in the centre top of the screen.
    To make it look good on the 1024x768 screen in GS I made the font 97pt and the actual png produced is 980x140 pixels.

Will this 980x140 image still be good on iPad and iPhone at a lower resolution?

I can't test on GSViewer or any of that because I don't have a Mac...

Thanks again

@Daniel543M said:
    However, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what size I should make my graphics.

Make your images 2 times the size of the actor. So for example, if your actor is 128x128 you will need to make the image graphics 256x256.

I would also like to point out that you will need to get a hold of a mac in order to publish to the apple app store.

• gregfaulksgregfaulks Member Posts: 21

@Lovejoy said:
    I would also like to point out that you will need to get a hold of a mac in order to publish to the apple app store.

I create on Windows and use MacinCloud to publish to iOS, works great.