Development best practices

cgalianocgaliano Member, PRO Posts: 21

How do you guys handle the need for different versions for a typical development lifecycle, so you create a stable "production" environment while still being able to keep enhancing your objects in your development instance? how do you promote code from DEV to PROD, do you have a completely separate set of folders and if so can you just move one actor for example from one to the other?

Comments

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

I label everything as different versions.

So an example would be

GP(Google Play) V1
    GP V1.2
    GP V1.3

AMA(Amazon) V1

Reason why, is that 2 years ago I made an update to a word game, which was doing ok. However, when I made the changes, no one downloaded it any more and I saw retention drop like a stone. So I reverted back to the previous version as a new update and the downloads increased again.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• cgalianocgaliano Member, PRO Posts: 21

Thanks @jigglybean but I wasnt talking about versions of apps already published. I mean that, during the development process of a new game, you will want to try out a few scenes that are kind of ready, but you will surely have a lot of other stuff you are still not ready to even publish for a test. How do you keep those 2 environments separated, as there seems to be no way to publish only one actor or scene to the TEST environment but rather you always have to publish the entire game?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I'm not sure there IS a good answer for this. I do that sort of testing in a separate scene and/or by giving actors rule conditions that change their behavior (e.g. When game.whichVersion=1 --> [set of rules and behaviors]).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User