How can I reset Score on scene reload

Dell7730Dell7730 Member, PRO Posts: 388

So I played the game, made 395 points and the game ended moving to the Game Over scene, when I played again, it shows my last score and added more when I played. Any thoughts?

Best Answer

• tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,949
    Accepted Answer

I was wanting to know what rules and behaviors you used to 'play again'. Are you just double-clicking on the scene thumbnail? Are you clicking the back button and then the Preview button?

What is the rule condition for changing game.score back to 0? Usually, it would be something like (on a "Play Again" actor):

When Touch is Pressed
         change attribute game.score to 0
         Reset Scene [or Change Scene]

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Answers

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Game attributes do not reset when you use a Reset Scene behavior. You'll need to change them back to 0 or their original value before resetting the scene.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• Dell7730Dell7730 Member, PRO Posts: 388
    edited March 2015

@tatiang said:
    Game attributes do not reset when you use a Reset Scene behavior. You'll need to change them back to 0 or their original value before resetting the scene.

GOT It! I think, lol... I was hoping there was like an On Load command or something

I made a timed change attribute of score to 0, still not working properly, what I am doing wrong?

@dellagarpo said:
    I made a timed change attribute of score to 0, still not working properly, what I am doing wrong?

What is a 'timed change attribute'? Do you mean you placed a Change Attribute behavior inside of a timer? What is the full name of the attribute you tried to change? In which actor of which scene did you do this? Can you explain further or post a screenshot of your rules (you'll need to upload the screenshot to a file-sharing service before embedding/posting it here)?

edited March 2015

@tatiang said:

Yes! I placed a Change Attribute behavior inside a timer. I wanted to have the score reset every time I change scene.

Here's the link to screenshot goo.gl/ugpYkk

If you put something inside of an After 0 seconds timer, it runs immediately. It's the same as having no timer at all.

• deej011deej011 Member Posts: 159
    edited March 2015

in the rule that you use to reset the scene put in another attribute saying change attribute "score" to 0

@tatiang said:
    If you put something inside of an After 0 seconds timer, it runs immediately. It's the same as having no timer at all.

I know, I put it there in case I want it delayed, so have you any idea as to why it's not working?

@deej011 said:
    in the rule that you use to reset the scene put in another attribute saying change attribute "score" to 0

I haven't made any scene reset actually, just moved it from scene to scene, maybe there's the problem, i'll try your suggestion and let you know immediately, thanks.

when I played again, it shows my last score and added more when I played

How did you 'play again'?

@tatiang said:

it's a simple touch game where if my mouse touch an actor, it's Game Over.

basically my play again rule is making it change back to the last scene, i'm already getting the mistake I made, lol...

I got it!!!!!!! Thank You!!!!

Just learned that the game play scene should be on top of the Scene Layers so when a button to reset game, it resets it to that scene. I also included the Change Attribute for Score to 0 and it all works GREAT! Awesome Sauce!

You guys are awesome, this makes me get closer to finishing my very first game ever.

• deej011deej011 Member Posts: 159

no worries glad to help