What should the media buttons mapping be on remotes?

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited March 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

On the firetv remote there is a fast forward, play/pause and rewind button. Currently they are unmapped. Here are the current thoughts on what to map them to.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Looking forward to seeing these added! Hopefully before the end of the competition :D

• AJaymzAJaymz Member, PRO Posts: 164

Play/Pause would be nice to have it the Start button. I like using Start to pause the game. FF - X, RW - Y

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@AJaymz said:
    Play/Pause would be nice to have it the Start button. I like using Start to pause the game. FF - X, RW - Y

but the menu button (the three lines) already maps to the start button, which i think is standard procedure.

Oh ok, just seen the Play/pause in the poll and didn't think about another button going to Start.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@BlackCloakGS The actual Fire remote and controller has these buttons so how would that work on those generic controllers that don't?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@BBEnk said:
    BlackCloakGS The actual Fire remote and controller has these buttons so how would that work on those generic controllers that don't?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, there are generic button mappings in the attribute list. These apply to most controllers. The Fire TV remote isn't a standard controller, though, so the GS team just map the buttons on it to ones that seem to make sense - left/right/up/down/centre click. There are the three additional buttons, though - rewind, fast forward, play/pause. These need to be mapped to something.

My thinking when suggesting the triggers and stick click was that it's possible your game has full controller support. If so, having a Fire TV remote map to the same buttons might cause conflicts. If the remote buttons map to controller buttons that are unlikely to be used, that conflict can hopefully be avoided. If you want to use A/B/X in your game for the same buttons as rewind/ff/play on the remote you can - you just assign the same keypress to each.

This seemed a logical way to go about it, unless I've completely missed something.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Yes you are correct @Armelline

And Left stick click , Fast Forward: Right shoulder , Rewind: Left shoulder is the winner.

awesome, any idea when we will have access to coding for the remote?

soon maybe this week

Just sent the build to QA