Published Arcade game only works on Chrome

NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34
edited April 2015 in Working with GS (PC)

For some reason a game I posted only works in the Chrome browser, and SOMETIMES in Firefox. In Firefox, on Windows 8 the game plays but sound effects are cut off; on Mac, it just sits on a black screen; on Windows 7, it works fine. On all operating systems IE and Safari just load a black screen where it forever sits. I tried other peoples' GS games in those browsers, and they all ran fine.

Any ideas for what could be wrong?

Comments

• NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2015

Exactly :wink:

I HAVE made some progress - I tried deleting all sound effects/music, AND IT WORKED on all 3 browsers! So it has to be audio.

I've been running all sorts of tests yesterday and today. Tried removing all spaces from filenames (which GS did automatically) and re-exporting all sounds. Trying using all WAV's next. Any other sound-related ideas?

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

Not sure it matters but are your file names in all lowercase letters?

Most are, some aren't. Could that play a part?

edited June 2015

I know this is way after this issue was brought up, but I want to share my analysis for anyone else who has this problem:

After conducting a lot of testing on 2 Windows machines and a Mac laptop, using Chrome on all 3, Firefox on all 3, IE on the Windows, and Safari on the Mac, here's what I've concluded based on my experience:

Google Chrome is the only Web browser of the 4 that reliably plays games with sound effects.
    Firefox seems to usually work, but can get glitchy with sound effects.
    Internet Explorer and Safari will not play sound effects, only music.

This was before 0.13.14 was released (not sure if that fixed this, or if it's browser limitations). I ran tests not only on my game, but on one or two Featured Games, as well. So if you use the Arcade, unless your testing shows otherwise, advise your players to only use Google Chrome to play it!

• TaoOfSaladTaoOfSalad Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 83

Submit a bug here: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Engine

It would be a great help if you can attach a sample project that includes some of the sounds assets you are using.

The "only sounds plays on browser X while only music plays on browser Y" is a known issue with sound format support for the various browsers. We are developing a workaround for it. The game stuck on a black screen seems like a issue that needs new investigation.

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

Why would this be an issue, and why would it be an ongoing issue?
    Why not feed multiple formats since it is browser based?

edited June 2015

@TaoOfSalad, thanks for your reply. This issue happened a few months ago, and from now till then I found that having a sound file play at the beginning of the opening scene seemed to cause issues, so I made a preloader scene. This helped somewhat, but the bigger change was I upgraded from a slow 2.5 mbps Internet connection to 12 mbps. Since this Internet speed change, the game loads on IE and Safari now (still no sound effects, as we'd expect), so perhaps only on slow Internet speeds that can happen. I can still file a bug request if you'd like, but I can't reproduce the black screen issue myself at this point.