Actor Image

tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127
edited April 2015 in Working with GS (PC)

Hi,
My actor keeps showing up on gamesalad with my image, but then when I preview it's just one of the default squares. I already trie everything I could think of. Please help.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Delete the actor from the scene. Then make sure the actor in the Library/Insoector has a custom image. Drag it to the scene and Preview. Does that work?

Are you using a Mac or PC?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127

1: Unfortunatly, that did not work.
    2: I'm using a PC.

See if these suggestions help: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/59247/windows-creator-first-stop-if-you-experience-unexpected-behaviours/p1

If not, upload your project file to a file-sharing site and post the download link here so we can troubleshoot it.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited April 2015

It didn't work, and I'm a little hesitant to post something on a random site.

@tiger27 said:
    It didn't work, and I'm a little hesitant to post something on a random site.

Sure, I can understand that. Your first post sounded like you were just starting to build a scene but if you have a more complete project you may want to keep it private. You have a couple options if you do want to post it: send me the link in a private message or strip out most/all of the irrelevant details and just post a project that highlights this particular problem.

edited April 2015

@tatiang , I just tried stripping it (By replicating the scene in a new project) and it worked perfectly. I still feel hesitant about posting my game anywhere on the internet. Anything can be found on the internet, so do have any other ideas, or are you out. If you're out tell me and I'll try to isolate the problem myself. Hope you can still help.

I think you're wise to be careful about sharing your project. If you do want to send me the download link (e.g. to the stripped out version), feel free to send it in a private message.

I'm not clear on whether "it worked perfectly" means that you were able to see the image when Previewing the project or that it again didn't work. Either way, if you want my help let me know.

I can't suggest anything else because sometimes there are very simple things that new GameSalad users do incorrectly and it's not evident until I see the project. As a silly example -- though quite realistic -- someone will say that an actor is moving more slowly than it should but that "there is nothing else in the scene" and then when I see the file, I notice that they have an instance of an actor that is spawning an invisible actor every 0.1 seconds that is constraining its position, etc. and they just didn't realize they still had that in the scene. Or for another example, see this recent thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/85242/actor-disappearing/p1.

1: I'll send it to you once I finish creating the stripped version.
    2: By, it worked perfectly, I mean I saw the image.

edited April 2015

Great news! It's solved. I went through all my coding and found an error in it. Thanks for the help trying to figure this out!

edited April 2015

If it's working when you take out actors and rules then you have to start with your original version and remove/disable one actor or rule at a time until you find the cause.

Sending me a working version isn't going to do you any good, I'm afraid.

By the way, I've been seeing all these people with post master general and moderator, can you tell me what that's all about, and maybe how to earn a title like that?

@tiger27 Forums moderators (aka "Sous Chefs") such as myself are volunteers entrusted by the GameSalad Staff to moderate posts on the forums, that is to ensure that members follow the rules, but also to help new members and keep the forums in good order (merging or renaming threads when needed, etc.). GameSalad Staff who have titles such as "Key Master," "Head Chef," "Executive Chef," etc. are employees of GameSalad.