Release Candidate 0.13.8 Mac ARC with performance improvements

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited April 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

Release Candidate 0.13.8

Features:

• GameSalad Creator for Mac is now built with ARC. This should greatly improve performance when using Creator, especially in Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).

• Creator Templates (Insect Intruders, Big Top Blaster, etc.) now have gamepad support built in.

Fixes:

• Fixed an issue that was causing the Gtron Retro USB Super Classic Controller to crash Creator.

Known Issues:

• You may experience a crash when logging into GameSalad Creator from the Dashboard.

• An occasional crash may occur when loading a project while an Android device is plugged in via USB.

• The Animate behavior will currently not show its images until you back out of the Actor and re-open it.

• Moving from Actor Editor back to the Actor pane can cause a memory spike (memory leak is being investigated)

Report Any Bugs
If you find bugs in the Release Candidate, let us know! We'll be watching the forums, support tickets and bug database for info on this. Once we're all happy with the state of the build then we'll make it stable.

Take a moment to review the "known issues" section of the release notes before reporting any bugs. No need to duplicate reports on what we already know, right?

Thanks for your help!

Go Get It!

See the release notes here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releaseNotes/creator/rc

Download the release candidate here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

Scroll down until you see "Release Candidates

Comments

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Just spent a few minutes going in and out of scenes and actors, much better maybe I can upgrade to Yosemite now,lol.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@BlackCloakGS

Is there a fix coming for the crash related to memory piling up when reading and writing to tables a lot?

Would really appreciate an answer about this. Haven't heard anything about it, despite direct message and forum posts about it over the past several weeks.

What's the news on that? Please?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2015

I can't personally download it (I'm currently in the non-Pro ghetto until I become rich), but great work @BlackCloakGS ! I'm sure there are going to be a lot of happy Yosemite users. :)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Socks said:
    I can't personally download it (I'm currently in the non-Pro ghetto until I become rich), but great work BlackCloakGS ! I'm sure there's going to be a lot of happy Yosemite users. :)

Try the new monthly payments, 29$ a month is very affordable!

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@Socks said:
    I can't personally download it (I'm currently in the non-Pro ghetto until I become rich), but great work BlackCloakGS ! I'm sure there's going to be a lot of happy Yosemite users. :)

I thought non-Pros could download and use RC builds.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912
    edited April 2015

Thanks GS I will give it a try now. :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694
    edited April 2015

@Socks said:

RC and stable should be free and nightly should be just for pros. For example this is probably the stablest build right now. (Hopefully I did not speak to soon)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

RC's are not recommended to be used for production is that correct?

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Thanks Gamesalad :)

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

@Thunder_Child That is correct however I have published with an RC build and had no issues. I wouldn't do it all of the time and make sure you always have a back up saved on a stable build.

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• AngryBoiAngryBoi Member Posts: 586

Thank you so much! It works great

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@BBEnk said:
    ... maybe I can upgrade to Yosemite now,lol.

Yosemite is a memory hog, so until Apple release 10.10.4 I'd wait if I were you.

In December I was still running Mountain Lion on my 24" 8GB iMac and GS Creator was just fine -no memory problems or crashes.

At the end of December I received my 27" Retina iMac after an 8 week wait. It is maxed out with the fastest processor, better graphics card, 3TB Fusion Drive and 24GB RAM. ( I'm not saying all this to brag, but I really love it. :p) However, it only runs with Yosemite, so I had no choice but to use that.

With only GS Creator 0.12.20 and Memory Monitor open I have only 18.7 GB free!

With only Safari and Memory Monitor open I have only 19.3 GB free!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited April 2015

Initial results in 10.9.5 are MUCH faster. Yay!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited April 2015

@BlackCloakGS The Creator is much much faster on OSX 10.9.5. Like miles and miles faster for me.

However, I have encountered a couple bugs. They all seem related to tables. I outlined the bugs in more detail here in case anyone else can reproduce or encounters the same:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=930

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@AlchimiaStudios I´m experiencing exactly the same issues with tables. This is after opening a 0.13.7 file in 0.13.8.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71
    edited April 2015

The performance is stellar on this RC version and scrolling through code is smooth again! Thanks so much for this GS dudes. So far the only thing negative I have to report is that when in an actor sometimes there are white overhanging boxes covering some of the code. Here's a screenshot of what I mean.
    Hopefully that shows up okay, I've never posted an image here before. Other than that I just want to say your doing really great work GS team! :)

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Nice its soooo much faster now, only thing i found is when i try to set Project screenshot it crash(whatever i can program now :) )

• BalvamarBalvamar Member, PRO Posts: 117

I am having some issues......

1. When trying to use the "-" sign to remove a condition from a rule nothing happens unless I use the back button or leave the actor then go back in.
    2. When I attempt to move an actor between layers in a scene game salad crashes consistently regardless of which actor I move.
  • HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Awesome have been struggling along with the previous RC for some time now. Woohoo to performance improvement! :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited April 2015

Unfortunately every time I try to preview my current project, the creator crashes. A lot of table jiggling goes on at the start, it may be related to that. If I try to preview it starting from a later scene, it doesn't crash, but isn't fully functioning due to the logic on the first scene.

The same project does not crash using 0.13.7 and does not crash on device.

Hard to submit a bug report as all I know is "It crashes" and I can't share the project file it's happening with.

Additionally, when I press the "Home" button, the right side of the screen where logic was being displayed remains there, as does the list of attributes. The "Home" screen is only displayed in the top left where the the actor's image would have been. (Not always but often.)

Creator is lightning fast though! Great job on that front! Holy crap that scrolling speed!

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Looking like some nice reviews here !

Guess Imoh go RC for once ! Whoohoo!!

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
    edited April 2015

Great stuff!

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

just realised I cant even try/use this as I don't have pro! the reason I didn't renew my pro was because of the performance of the last version!

surly because of the unusable nature of the latest stable build this version should be rolled out for everyone!

how long till this is a distributed stable build guys :)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@jay2dx said:
    just realised I cant even try/use this as I don't have pro! the reason I didn't renew my pro was because of the performance of the last version!

surly because of the unusable nature of the latest stable build this version should be rolled out for everyone!

how long till this is a distributed stable build guys :)

12.20 hasn't failed me ever since it came out.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• QASaladQASalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 142

Just FYI, free users can download and use Release Candidates.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

@QASalad said:
    Just FYI, free users can download and use Release Candidates.

Oh I didn't realise! thanks, I was just used to GS notifying me there is a new version out but it doesn't do it anymore!

will check when im home from work later on :)

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@jay2dx If you use a stable release, it only notifies you if there is a new stable version available. It doesn't notify about RC versions or nightly builds.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

If you find issues please file a bug with us.