New High Score Display with Sound

Paul :)Paul :) Member, PRO Posts: 15

Hi GameSalad community,

I am in the works of completing my first game and I am putting finishing touches on the game. One of those finishing touches, is adding an actor with an image "NEW" whenever a new high score is achieved. I already have custom fonts for my score and high score. All I want is to display the word "NEW" as an image whenever the player achieves a new high score.

This is what I have:

Rule:
if "game.Score" > "game.HighScore"
Do:
set: "game.HighScore" to: "game.Score"
save: "game.HighScore" as: "k"

Rule:
if "game.GameOver" is: "true"
if "game.HighScore" >= "selfe.TurnOn" (TurnOn = 0)
do:
set: "self.color.alpha" to 1
else:
set: "self.color.alpha" to 0

Rule:
if "game.GameOver" is "true"
if "game.HighScore" = "game.Score"
do:
Spawn Actor ("NEW" image)
PlaySound

This way, whenever a high is reached, it spawns the actor "NEW," but the problem is, let's say the high score is 5, if I get 5 again, it spawns the actor again, but it's not a new high score. I only want it to spawn when I get a 6, or higher, in other words, whenever I get a new high score. Any input will be greatly appreciate!

Paul :)

Comments

• Paul :)Paul :) Member, PRO Posts: 15

Also in this actor, I have:

contrain: "self.image" to: floor((game.HighScore)%(self.Div)/(self.Div/10))

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

You could make a boolean called "is_new" do something like... if game.score > game.highscore, set game.is_new to 1

Then you could say, if game.is_new=1, spawn NEW

You mean make a boolean and set it to "true"? It didn't work, I feel like something is cancelling each other out, but I am not sure what. I attached an image of my programming.

I set the boolean to "NewActor"
    I put in a 2 second delay to show Game Over buttons when game over, that's also when I want the "New" high score actor to spawn. Please advise.

http://imgur.com/axmHLl0

All this is on the first zero image of my high score actor, btw.

• tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127

@Paul :) I don't understand what the self.TurnOn means. Could you explain?

The self.TurnOn is for not revealing the 0 actor until 0 is 1 or bigger. So if there are zeros before a score, it won't be revealed. But in this case, because this is the first zero, even when it's zero, it will turn on.

• tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127

Oh! That makes a lot of sense!

@Summation your method worked! I had another actor who had the same rule that was canceling out the rule, rookie mistake... Thanks!

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

@Paul :) said:
    Summation your method worked! I had another actor who had the same rule that was canceling out the rule, rookie mistake... Thanks!

Cheers :)