The forum is a gold mine!

The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
edited April 2015 in Working with GS (Mac)

This is just a simple reminder. This forum is filled with great stuff. Almost any question you might ask has probably been asked before a million times. Most of that is stored in the forums buried like gold nuggets! To access it use the search box on the top right of the forum and type in a few key words and blam you can dig for all types of nuggets. Expressions,code snippets et... Before you ask your question do a forum search and you might find your answer quicker than waiting for someone to answer. it's fast easy and free!

"This was a public service announcement from your Guru"

Comments

• Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206

Its also a place to be bombarded with spam.... But thats none of my business.

• tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127

@The_Gamesalad_Guru Sometimes the search bar gliches out and shows nothing unless I click the search button a couple of times. Weird, right?

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
    edited April 2015

@tiger27 said:
    The_Gamesalad_Guru Sometimes the search bar gliches out and shows nothing unless I click the search button a couple of times. Weird, right?

Yep Ive noticed this in the last month or so, You search for something (anything) and it will return with zero results. If you refresh the page over and over it will eventully return results. it can take upto 15 or so refreshes sometimes. I assume its a Vanilla forum issue but could maybe @ForumNinja can answer that?

FYI @ForumNinja Im using safari....

• tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127

Yeah, I might send @ForumNinja a message about it.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I just used it today to post a link for someone. Always seems to work for me. Maybe it's your browser?

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

before asking anything i search ,if i don't find the answer then i ask for help,but from few months search in not giving any results .

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
    edited April 2015

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    I just used it today to post a link for someone. Always seems to work for me. Maybe it's your browser?

It most likely is the browser Dave. It returns no results in the forum search not the search engine results. It acts as if what ever you search for has no results. Switch to Safari & try searching for any term you know would return results, and it comes back with nothing. It pretends to search but finds nothing. Whilst I'm sure I can switch browsers to google if I choose, personally I think the issue should be solved this end. We do enough work arounds to make the engine work, without having to find a work around for the search option on their website!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited April 2015

@tiger27 said:
    The_Gamesalad_Guru Sometimes the search bar gliches out and shows nothing unless I click the search button a couple of times. Weird, right?

I just duplicated this effect in both Chrome and Safari.

@ForumNinja may need to contact Vanilla Forums about this.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I've had the problem lately as well. It happens also on iOS.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

I generally don't bother with the search bar and instead type "gamesalad search term" into the address bar, letting Google do all the heavy lifting.

@Armelline said:
    I generally don't bother with the search bar and instead type "gamesalad search term" into the address bar, letting Google do all the heavy lifting.

Yes, generally that works quite well, though in the search bar you can go deeper in history with more control.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I usually am on my iPad and this is what I get. I'm just saying I've never experienced this though it seems many others have. Interesting.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

I continue to learn from the great posts and helpful Devs on the forum. :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I think the forum is certainly a gold mine as long as you know the proper term(s) to search for. Unfortunately I think a lot of truly new users are so new that they often don't know the terms to search for so it can get cumbersome and seem like the answers aren't available. But that is not a fault of the forum, just part of the learning curve I suppose.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

I've noticed the search function acting weird as well (I use Google Chrome). I'll look into the issue more today for you guys :)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@ForumNinja said:
    I've noticed the search function acting weird as well (I use Google Chrome). I'll look into the issue more today for you guys :)

So it takes a Guru, a wolf, a tiger, a guy with crazy hair, a super hero, a bug, a leaf, a ghost, a rabbit, a big smile, and a crab to summon you. Good to know! :p

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Lovejoy I have no doubt in my mind you could easily find emoticons for all those things :smirk:

image image image image image image image image image image image

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

@pHghost said:
    I've had the problem lately as well. It happens also on iOS.

I see the problem you have 298 notifications ;)

Got a response from Vanilla:

Thanks for the heads up here -- I switched you to a different search server a few minutes ago. Please allow up to an hour for it to be able to reindex the site.

This isn't the first time someone on that search server has indicated a problem to us. I'll follow up with our ops department on this and see what we can do to fix this aside from moving someone to a separate server.

So hopefully it'll start working correctly again in the near future :)

@scottharrrules43 said:
    I see the problem you have 298 notifications ;)

I don't anymore. I noticed that as well when testing it on my iPhone. I never knew these existed, they don't show on the full-site version of the forum! Or is there a way to have them on the main page somehow? Going through them I noticed some interesting threads I missed out on because of that!

@pHghost said:

Since the profile button doesn't work, ahem @ForumNinja ahem, just click on your name and look to the right you will notice Notifications.