In Need Of Some Proper Knowledge From Some Proper Kind knowledgeable People.

Artic143Artic143 Member Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in Community Tutorials

Hello. I have recently started devoting a whole lot of my life looking into computer languages. So much my girlfriend now hates me ahah . I have also done a considerable amount of graphic design in the past using adobe Photoshop, illustrator and luckily enough been taught some tricks on Cinema 4D.

I started off learning the bare basics of JavaScript, like the basic syntax, booleans, variables, etc.. But i really wanted to focus solely on ios App Development and HTML5 CSS Web Design. I bought a few BIG books on objective - C, and read them to silly hours of the night. Then i looked at Ios SDK's, i then realized there was thousands of them! I really wanted to use X-code with the CoCos2d Swift framework on a stable mac OS, not on virtual box. Having a tough time forking out the money for a mac even though i think its inevitable. Then i stumbled across This Game Salad....

I have started a project and have managed to complete it to quite an reasonable standard. I have watched SO MANY tutorials but the ones i seem to find are really quite basic and use no functions. I'm wondering if there is a place to learn a more advanced part of game salad as in learning more on the functions and actually how to involve them a bit more in my games. This could sway me into not moving to cocos2d if the resource is good enough. i am willing to pay reasonably mind.

I'm Stuck and i cant get a few things to work. And i refuse to use any templates or ask for answers. I want to learn people!

To Anyone that actually reads this you are mad = awesome.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited April 2015

There are dozens of more advanced tutorials - you just need to know where to look for them. You can check out GSHelper.com - we have over 200 free video tutorials and demo files. Deepblueapps also has a great selection of free templates.

@Artic143 said:
    I'm Stuck and i cant get a few things to work. And i refuse to use any templates or ask for answers. I want to learn people!

You may be hindering yourself. Using templates and asking for help can be used to learn just as well. I remember when I first started; I purchased one template and learned some much from more advanced logic. It's a good thing you're wanting to learn by yourself, but don't starve yourself from the vast knowledge that is available whether that's templates or asking the community for help.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

If you lack the knowledge of how the logic works, templates is going to do little for you. The jumbled logic and outdated templates will only confuse you.

As far as asking questions, that is perhaps the best thing to do since you would learn exactly how to do the specific function you asked. Add some video tutorials to that so you can see step by step on how things are done and you will learn in time.

After that point, when you understand how the logic forms is when templates can come in handy.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@Artic143 -- learning the GS functions and how to use the expression editor is tons of fun.

Ask lots of questions! It's interesting questions that spur us on to learning more about how to use GameSalad.

• apitlekaysapitlekays Coventry, United KingdomMember Posts: 67

Disagree with refusal to ask a question. If you have a problem, or simply wonder how to do something on GameSalad, you need to:
    1. Search in this forum. Think about using keywords that illustrate your problem(s).
    2. If no. 1 didn't yield good results, then open a new thread, ask the question. It's better to include what you've done, what you've found in the forum, and try to explain your problem/needs in great detail.

See, how many good people came forward to help you. Members like @jamie_c @RThurman @Lovejoy and @Braydon_SFX are among the heavyweights (though I don't know if they are actually heavy in weight :smiley: ) of this community, ever willing to help. So, refusing to ask is equivalent to refusing yourself access to "Some Proper Knowledge From Some Proper Kind knowledgeable People." IMHO.

Dat GameSalad Research Guy :D

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@RThurman said:
    Ask lots of questions! It's interesting questions that spur us on to learning more about how to use GameSalad.

@apitlekays said:
    Disagree with refusal to ask a question.

Agreed, there are two types of questions.

1) Give me the answer, I can't be bothered to work this out myself, I just want to know what I should type into the little box with the 'e' on it ?

2) How would I go about doing the following, can you explain what is involved and how it works ?

Asking lots of type 1 questions means you won't learn very much, asking lots of type 2 questions is the quickest way to learn all sorts of interesting tools and tricks hidden in GameSalad.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

Welcome to the forum!

Based on your remark about computer languages, I'll go out on a limb and say you should know some logic and flow charts. Gamesalad is not that hard to learn; you just have to practice to get a feel for the wide range of commands (behaviours and rules). And save often, of course. ;)

Templates do in fact help you engineer or reverse-engineer a problem you're stuck with. If a forumer is kind enough to share one, then exploit that kindness, as it helps the entire community.

And I wholeheartedly agree with @socks on how to ask for help. The #2 approach goes a very long way, and with good programmers.

Good luck!

• Artic143Artic143 Member Posts: 4

Thank you for the replies. Had another blast at looking through some more resources. They have come in handy and i have managed to get further into my game. But i have now pretty much hit a brick wall in terms of progression.

The game itself involves making your way up screen and the score will simply be how far up you got. The thing I'm struggling with is linking my score counter to the distance i have traveled. I think i have the right idea in my head but trying to execute it is actually turning my brain too mush. I have already looked at making a custom font score counter and i think i have got that set up. I test my game the score in the corner goes from 000000 to just 0. But trying to link the score to my characters Y postion seems to be an issue. I tried loads of rules and behaviours to link them together, then looking for a few templates, but have had no success yet! I also tried making my Character appear at the right side of the screen when it slides off the left side. Played around for hours still no luck. Any suggestions, tips or help would be brilliant . Thank you, Ash.:)

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

@Artic143 said:
    Thank you for the replies. Had another blast at looking through some more resources. They have come in handy and i have managed to get further into my game. But i have now pretty much hit a brick wall in terms of progression.

The game itself involves making your way up screen and the score will simply be how far up you got. The thing I'm struggling with is linking my score counter to the distance i have traveled. I think i have the right idea in my head but trying to execute it is actually turning my brain too mush. I have already looked at making a custom font score counter and i think i have got that set up. I test my game the score in the corner goes from 000000 to just 0. But trying to link the score to my characters Y postion seems to be an issue. I tried loads of rules and behaviours to link them together, then looking for a few templates, but have had no success yet! I also tried making my Character appear at the right side of the screen when it slides off the left side. Played around for hours still no luck. Any suggestions, tips or help would be brilliant . Thank you, Ash.:)

If your character is moving at a constant rate of speed, make your score dependent upon a timer that starts when the game starts, and ends when the character dies. This way, you are able to completely disregard the Y position which becomes irrelevant with this system I've described.

Unfortunately i don't think that system would work in my situation, its more of a block climber. The player would gain score sitting at the start line with that system.

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

@Artic143 said:
    Unfortunately i don't think that system would work in my situation, its more of a block climber. The player would gain score sitting at the start line with that system.

Right, that's why I said "If your character is moving at a constant rate of speed."
    This is your description: "The game itself involves making your way up screen and the score will simply be how far up you got."
    It's hard to tell how the actor is making their way up screen from this sentence, so we can only guess at how that's being accomplished.

edited April 2015

Right, well know you know why i mentioned the Y axis and not time. Sorry for my poor description.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

In the climber actor, Change Attribute self.startY to self.Position.Y. Do this at the top of the rule list but outside of any rules. Then have a Constrain Attribute (also by itself) to constrain game.score to self.Position.Y - self.startY.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User