No Marketing Budget, 10 Million Downloads

charlyncharlyn Member Posts: 9
edited May 2015 in Conferences and Events

In case you're interested, I've interviewed @jdgould , a developer in San Diego who's gotten 10 million downloads for his games, all made on GameSalad. The video is part of the Appreneur Summit and is free to view until 5/4: http://appreneursummit.com/members/downloads/jeff-gould/

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

I lost 400lb by eating this one weird vegetable.

• charlyncharlyn Member Posts: 9

As long as you're eating at least one vegetable ;-)

@charlyn said:
    As long as you're eating at least one vegetable ;-)

Yeah, but it was 'weird' (it looked very much like a Big Mac).

Those are my favorite kind, after the ones that look like french fries.

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Hey @Socks, I don't suppose you saved any of the seeds? I love for you to mail me some, so I can plant them in my garden.

• As_Of_LatteAs_Of_Latte Member, BASIC Posts: 343

This was great @charlyn !! Thank you for posting this. I just finished watching the entire video and took lots of notes.
    Very helpful, motivating and inspirational :).

Amazing job @jdgould Awesome resources, advice and tips!

edited May 2015

Thanks @As Of Latte I'm so glad to hear it!

Honestly, I was inspired too. I've been developing with Objective-C exclusively but I've been looking for a cross-platform solution. I've had GameSalad and Unity 5 sitting on my desktop for weeks. This gave me the kick in the pants I needed to give GameSalad a spin. Enjoying it immensely so far! That's actually how I ended up here :-)

@gamestudent said:
    Hey Socks, I don't suppose you saved any of the seeds? I love for you to mail me some, so I can plant them in my garden.

I've spend months trying to grow Big Macs from the seeds, the best I've got so far is fat.

edited May 2015

@charlyn said:
    Honestly, I was inspired too. I've been developing with Objective-C exclusively but I've been looking for a cross-platform solution. I've had GameSalad and Unity 5 sitting on my desktop for weeks. This gave me the kick in the pants I needed to give GameSalad a spin. Enjoying it immensely so far! That's actually how I ended up here :-)

Which of jdgould's apps would you recommend we check out ? I checked out your links but they all seemed like hilariously cynical marketing ploys to me, but of course I might be mistaken ? Also around 16: 50 in your video jdgould says some of his game videos on Youtube have 'a few hundred thousand views' are you able to share any of these videos with us, or at least point us in the right direction when searching for them ?

edited May 2015

@Socks , you watched it, I'm touched!

I Googled and found this one with 411k:

If you can get past the hilariously cynical marketing ploys, there's a lot of good info in the summit. Yes, it's a cheesy signup page, which is why I linked directly to the video page instead. Just for you ;-)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

I don't even have to look past the first page to know this is one of those BS sites to try and get your money for bs information.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

There is even an Affiliate section that one can sign up and receiver %50 of the commission, like i said, nothing more than a marketing ploy to get peoples money.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2015

@charlyn said:
    Socks , you watched it, I'm touched!

I Googled and found this one with 411k:

If you can get past the hilariously cynical marketing ploys, there's a lot of good info in the summit. Yes, it's a cheesy signup page, which is why I linked directly to the video page instead. Just for you ;-)

That looks... not so good. Also some of the links are broken to the stores for the app and it's a low rated app on the stores it is on.

This seems kinda fishy to me.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

Hey @Lovejoy, I'm fairly BS free and so are the interviews. I'm an app developer trying to learn marketing because it's not my thing. The signup page is salesly because thats what works. I put the affiliate page there to encourage people to spread the word, because that works too.

That said, you can watch all the videos, free. No payment required. In case you missed that part amongst the marketing hype that has turned you off (which i get, believe me).

@charlyn said:
    I Googled and found this one with 411k

Let's be honest, that looks pretty woeful ! It appears to be just another AppStore junk app ?

Of course Youtube views (and subscribers and so on) can be bought in bulk, and 411,000 views for such an underwhelming product seems a little absurd, especially given that of those 411,000 viewers only 11 commented and only 1 shared the video ! :smiley: So are you able to point to any other supporting evidence that jdgould's apps have amassed 10,000,000 downloads ? Even if it is only the information you, yourself, were shown (or have seen) ?

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    edited May 2015

@Socks said:
    Which of jdgould's apps would you recommend we check out ? I checked out your links but they all seemed like hilariously cynical marketing ploys to me, but of course I might be mistaken ? Also around 16: 50 in your video jdgould says some of his game videos on Youtube have 'a few hundred thousand views' are you able to share any of these videos with us, or at least point us in the right direction when searching for them ?

Uh oh... sounds like Shersocks Holmes is on the case! :smile:

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@charlyn thnx for posting this! It was great to watch.

@RondoRocket said:
    Uh oh... sounds like Shersocks Holmes is on the case! :smile:

lol :smile:

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited May 2015

I was skeptical of @jdgould's claims since last year when I posted this: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/468977/#Comment_468977. He responded by saying he'd provide details and then... well, I don't know since he hasn't posted since that day. I downloaded that milkshake app today and it was ad-laden and somewhat poorly made but then again Flappy Bird was a huge success and I wouldn't exactly call it a polished, professional app. I tire easily of the sleaziness of hard sales approaches but to each his/her own, I guess. If in fact he is making a good living, I'm glad. Everyone should get paid for the hard work they do.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited May 2015

@tatiang said:
    Everyone should get paid for the hard work they do.

Right @tatiang and that's the thing. If you're making games as a hobby, awesome, have fun. If you want to make a business out of if, you have to learn about marketing, and treat it differently. That's why I put together the summit.

But seriously, guys, I made a new sign-up page just for @Socks @tatiang and especially @Lovejoy . This one's as honest as they get.
    http://appreneursummit.com/the-appreneur-summit-2/

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956
    edited May 2015

Honestly, I have learned from some of his videos. I will never pay for his academy but he does make some good points.

Just seems like the forums is getting a little too lax.

@charlyn Thanks, but there is no need to make anything special just for me. Best of luck in your ventures.

edited May 2015

@charlyn said:
    But seriously, guys, I made a new sign-up page just for @Socks @tatiang and especially @Lovejoy . This one's as honest as they get.

@charlyn I'd be more impressed if you answered @Socks' questions directly.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang I thought I did answer his question directly after a quick Google search. If you mean his question about which apps @Socks should check out, I won't. Not because I'm evading, but because I'm talking here about building a business around a network of games. So it's not relevant IMHO.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483
    edited May 2015

He has good numbers and ratings in https://sensortower.com/ios/publisher/fat-free-apps/527402497/ What do u Think ?

edited May 2015

Well, I'm going to go ahead and close this. After waiting a year and feeling there might be some scam involved and not being given any details, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt even though this technically violates the forum rule against advertising third-party sites. But seeing as your first post here was a marketing ploy, I'm not too thrilled about the direction this is taking. If you are able to provide those kinds of details to legitimize this, please send them to me in a private message and I can then re-open this thread.

If people are interested in your services, they can always send you a private message. The video link will remain since it's free and doesn't require a sign-up.

Edit: saved by @NimbleBug. I'll leave it open for now unless @ForumNinja decides otherwise.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

I would have expected 10M downloads to be worth way more than $407k. Must be only ads and not many...if any IAP's.

• BaDDAppleBaDDApple Member Posts: 49

@NimbleBug said:
    He has good numbers and ratings in https://sensortower.com/ios/publisher/fat-free-apps/527402497/ What do u Think ?

I wouldn't put to much stock in this site. I checked on games from my old company and it wasn't even close to actual $ amount made. Way high.

@charlyn said:
    . . If you mean his question about which apps Socks should check out, I won't. Not because I'm evading, but because . . .

Lol :smile: I think that answers the question just fine.

@Socks Not trying to debate with you. I just mean that I'm talking about app marketing, not app design. Any of us can get the public information listed above. I don't have a particular app of his that I'm recommending as a model. I'm just interested in talking to developers who have earned more downloads than I have, and discovering if I can learn anything from what they did.