Character Illustration and animation tutorials?

Please let me know if anyone might find this useful.
I'd be happy to throw something together.

Regards

Jim

Comments

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

I think a lot of people here would. I know I would!

• JimmyMesserJimmyMesser LondonMember Posts: 235
    edited May 2015

What kind of game are you making? I'll start there.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Chris has a great blog but I guess the more tutorials the better :)

http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.co.uk

edited May 2015

Cool I'm a 17 year design and animation expert. I'm now designing my own games after years of designing other people's. So I thought it might be nice to hand some of my knowledge over to people who might need it.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@JimmyMesser, I'm sure lots of people would be interested. I do a lot of Gamesalad tutorials and am always being asked to create some art tutorials as well. Just never got around to it yet. :)

• A_ConstantinA_Constantin EnglandMember Posts: 79

@JimmyMesser I would definitely appreciate some animation/artistic tutorials

Thanks you for such a fantastic response,
    @jamie_c sounds fantastic I think I've seem one or two of your tutorials.
    @A_Constantin I'd like to make something specific,tell me what kind of thing do you need to achieve and I'll make a tutorial.

2D sidescrolling character animations. Like, walking, running, idle e.g. Maybe too many, but start with walking?

Im sure there are many who know how to draw a character, and are good at that, but when it comes to animating that character, they fail. Me included, hah! :tired_face:

• A_ConstantinA_Constantin EnglandMember Posts: 79

@JimmyMesser How about a series for a spritesheet of a character, starting with the basics of running, the moving on to attacking or death sequences? Just an idea

@sebmat86 said:
    2D sidescrolling character animations. Like, walking, running, idle e.g. Maybe too many, but start with walking?

Im sure there are many who know how to draw a character, and are good at that, but when it comes to animating that character, they fail. Me included, hah! :tired_face:

Let me see what I can do!

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393
    edited May 2015

@JimmyMesser Specific huh! How about...
    A series of short demonstration of basic animation principles as applied to game character animations. Things like squash and stretch, follow through, anticipation, secondary action. Being able to do it within a limited amount of frames. I think would be really appreciated!!

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

I would love a tutorial on 2D platformer movements!

Ok first one will be idle and walk. I'm going to try and keep it simple. So anyone can duplicate it.

Thats so cool! Really looking forward to this. :smiley:

edited May 2015

Me too I've sketched out the animation for the walk cycle and the idle... The idle is very simple I might add something extra.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Rk-GFlTEtua3hZZGZreDRHN0U/view?usp=sharing
    Here's something I'll be covering in the tutorial

Hey Jimmy look for a Personal message from me.

Hey guys I'm currently mobile only right now. My computer is dying a death... Should have a new one by the end of the month. Sorry for the delay on this just as I started to record my screen my graphics and cpu gave up. So once I'm back up and running I'll let you know.

Jim

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@JimmyMesser, sorry to hear your computer is dying. But sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade!!! :)

Ouch! Just went through that when I upgraded to Yosemite on older computer...back peddled to mavericks.

yep sucks paceman balls in stuck in a position do I get a better computer that runs windows or a second hand Mac?

Pacman

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

A tutorial for that alien you put up would be great. I think most of us could learn almost everything from that, for that type of graphic.
    How about on where a pixel character changes sizes? Like in defender of texel.
    Or one for a character running fast with the colored wind behind them?

If you could, I think some of the advanced users may like to know how to make their animations more efficient. Maybe explain a trick where blur is used to remove a few frames? Or something like that

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

One thing I have always wanted to learn is animating button skins.
    Like having a blank button (maybe a word or simple image on it), when tapped, it does a ripple effect across button showing a pixel grid (or something, maybe a color spreads out?)