Apple Requirements

CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Has apple changed their requirement that all apps have to fit all iphone/ipad devices? Have they finally dropped the requirment of the 3 and 4? Please tell me they have made these changes. It benefits them if games only work on 5 and 6. Means people still using 3 and 4 are pressured to upgrade.

And do I understand this correctly? Game made for ipad dont have to work on iphones. games made for iphones have to work full screen on ipad?

Comments

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

Apple has no requirement that you must support iPhone 3/4. What you should do though is to write in your app description that you support iPhone 5 or newer

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

For awhile it had to support all iPhones. No black bars. Even on iPad. So your saying I onlynhave to support iPhone 5 or higher? Can be more specific on its support. Can I say it's for iPhone 5 and higher only. Not iPad?

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

I believe iPhone games have to work on iPad at 3/4 the screen size.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

I dont think they have dropped it as I have just submitted some Apple Watch Apps and I had to include screenshots for the iPhone 4 even though the apple watch doesnt run on the iPhone 4! There is no way to limit the device other than the OS but iphone 4 is still using 8.3 (not sure about iPhone 3).

Ok so obviously there are some contradicting opinions. Would anyone from gamesalad know the answer to this? They are a lil closer to home with apple than some of us.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Apple still require support for all iPhones sizes that can run the current iOS - so that includes the 4S and the 480x320 screen size. They'll reject if you letterbox the app, but won't normally reject if you use the stretch option and distort the image.

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

@Armelline said:
    Apple still require support for all iPhones sizes that can run the current iOS - so that includes the 4S and the 480x320 screen size. They'll reject if you letterbox the app, but won't normally reject if you use the stretch option and distort the image.

Apple does not require that we support iPhone 4S if it is stated in the app description that a newer device is required. You are correct that they will reject apps that are letterboxed.

See e.g. the description for "Grim Fandango", that game does not work on iPhone4.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grim-fandango-remastered/id978524071?mt=8

"Important: This game uses Metal and will only play properly on iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5s, and beyond."

They have updated the description for 1.1, previously they stated exactly which models the game required (starting with iPhone5)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

You can still download and play Grim Fandango on an iPhone 4, you just won't get a good experience.

"Important: This game uses Metal and will only play properly on iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5s, and beyond."

The key word is "properly". Apple may be unofficially loosening up their requirements but as @BBEnk pointed out, their official stance hasn't changed.

Perhaps someone should submit a game with no attempt to support 1-4S and see if the same leniency applies to the little guys.

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

Like all companies run by humans, a lot of the decisions make no sense and contradict what is written. I have always been 1 step behind on apple device/ios and there are plenty of apps that will not run and state they will not run

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited May 2015

Guess you'll find bliss with companies run with robot overlords. ;) ...Or feral creatures, they make great executive decisions.

Huh?

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

First of all, apple leverages 'feeling' and 'morality' in their decisions about how outsiders can operate, but never hold themselves to the same standards.
    Robots certainly would. It would eliminate different people making different decisions regarding the same thing. True machine logic would remove all doubt as to what happens and how things work.
    As it is right now; some 42 yr old mom may reject your app because of something they see and nobody else does, etc. That by the way, is technically illegal, but we won't benefit until someone decides to sue apple and win. Much of their decisions are illegal.
    One simple phrase will bring apple crumbling down in court, but nobody has tried it yet.
    I have worked for some 'feral creatures' and things are fun for a bit