State of GameSalad on 5-29-2015

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Hello again all you GameSalad fans! Once again I’ve gathered some info on what we’ve been working / focused on to share with you guys, enjoy!

Short Version:

Our primary focus has been on fixing up the issues you guys have found in the current stable builds. Once we’ve solved those issues, our focus will move over towards getting out 0.14.x releases for Mac and Windows users! More work is still being done on Graphene. Nothing new to share on the new marketplace.

Standard Version:

1. Graphene SDK (previously known as “Cross platform Creator”). There’s still more work coming along on Graphene’s website as well as the tool itself. For other previously shared info or to sign up for beta access, refer to this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/75011/introducing-graphene-sdk/

2. Stable Release 0.13.14 for Windows version of GameSalad Creator! First official update of Windows Creator since 0.10.5 is here! We’re still working on fixing the issues you guys have found in this release. For more info on this release and to report bugs that you’ve found, refer to this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/86522/windows-creator-0-13-14-official-release-is-available.

3. Stable Release 0.13.14 for Mac version of GameSalad Creator! We’re still working on fixing issues that you guys found in this release. For more info on this release and to report bugs that you’ve found, refer to this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/86521/mac-stable-release-0-13-14-performance-improvements.

4. Release 0.14.0 for the Windows version of GameSalad Creator. The 0.14 releases will be a higher priority after we fix up the issues you guys have found in the stable releases. This release is planned to be the one that gets Windows version of Creator fully synched up with the Mac version feature wise! This includes all the features we have planned for our 0.14.0 release for Mac as well (see some below)!

5. Release 0.14.0 for the Mac version of Creator. The 0.14 releases will be a higher priority after we fix up the issues you guys have found in the stable releases. There’s currently a nightly build out for this release. One feature that’s in this release that wasn’t talked about before is the new Pathfinding system and behaviors (for Pro members only). A few features this release will have are AdMob integration, the new rendering engine, and full PlaysTogether support. Check out this thread for more info on release 0.14.1: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/86130/nightly-build-0-14-1/p1.

6. New marketplace. There’s nothing new to share here. To see previously shared info on the new marketplace, refer to the comments section of this previous State of GameSalad post (http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/86338/state-of-gamesalad-on-5-15-2015/p1).

That’s all I have for you guys. More info will be coming your way next week.

Comments

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

0.14 seems like a tangible move forward for GameSalad, maybe someone should collate (and relate) quite what 0.14 means for GameSalad users, at the moment it feels like this sizeable move forward is being underplayed, underreported, information smeared across a dozen ill-focused and not easy to find reports - for example the 'new rendering engine' sounds very enticing (for me personally, anything that improves rendering is always an enormously exciting development ! :smile: ) yet from the official GS reports you'd be hard pushed to even know what 'new rendering engine' actually means, information is vague, if you are really on the ball and have logged into the forums for the last year and happened to read the right threads and perhaps taken part in the relevant 'meet ups' you might be better informed, but I suspect for most GS users the 'new rendering engine' is a technically opaque term.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Yeah what Socks said!!!! Hire a PR guy. Explain!!!! SHOWWWWWWW us what we are getting. Make us go " HOLY CRAP!!!! this update is worth wasting my time re-installing the bloody viewer. " Customers are lazy these days. If they had to choose between "READING" paragraph after paragraph versus watching a 2 minute video clip that goes over new features and examples of what they bring. The majority is gonna chose the video. " With these features... NOW YOU CAN................. and do this faster!

But as kermit the frog is saying these days... " But that non of my business"

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

The information for a lot of the things being worked on are there, ignorance and the laziness to not properly educate oneself is not a valid excuse. If for some reason the information you seek isn't being provided or isn't accessible, then ask away.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@FINNBOGG said:
    Hire a PR guy. Explain!!!! SHOWWWWWWW us what we are getting. Make us go " HOLY CRAP!!!! this update is worth wasting my time re-installing the bloody viewer. "

+100

If anything was going to make me fork out a few hundred dollars it would be being shown something that made me go 'holy crap!!' - and in my particular world that would take as little as a small (but worthwhile) improvement in graphics performance - like you say 'hire a PR guy' ! (and a professional designer).

edited May 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    The information for a lot of the things being worked on are there, ignorance and the laziness to not properly educate oneself is not a valid excuse.

Ignorance is always an excuse for ignorance (axiomatically) which is the very point of my post ? I am arguing for a mechanism for ignorance, that the mechanism exists. Moralising a failing in communication only makes those failing to communicate their message (or their apologists) feel better about that miscommunication, it doesn't address the issue.

If I were to ask you what are the benefits of the new rendering system, would you be able to sketch out even the very basics ? To say what it will bring to the developer's arsenal, and how it will impact the delivery / presentation of GameSalad games on various platforms - or are you like me (and I suspect most people) and only have a vague idea of how the new rendering system might impact our projects ?

@Lovejoy said:
    If for some reason the information you seek isn't being provided or isn't accessible, then ask away.

See the two posts above your own for an example of people seeking information :tongue:

@Socks I understand your point. But like you said,

if you are really on the ball and have logged into the forums for the last year and happened to read the right threads and perhaps taken part in the relevant 'meet ups' you might be better informed

fact is you will be better informed, and all that information is made available for everyone else to read and see so they too become better aware of whats going on.

but I suspect for most GS users the 'new rendering engine' is a technically opaque term.

Maybe because they choose not to educate themselves and read about the very engine they are using.

@Socks said:
    Ignorance is always an excuse for ignorance (axiomatically) which is the very point of my post ?

It still does not make it a valid excuse in my opinion.

I am arguing for a mechanism for ignorance, that the mechanism exists. Moralising a failing in communication only makes those failing to communicate their message (or their apologists) feel better about that miscommunication, it doesn't address the issue.

I agree that "hiring a PR guy" or a "professional designer" wouldn't hurt. But, i do not agree that there is no communication or that its a failure.

@Socks said:
    If I were to ask you what are the benefits of the new rendering system, would you be able to sketch out even the very basics ? To say what it will bring to the developer's arsenal, and how it will impact the delivery / presentation of GameSalad games on various platforms - or are you like me (and I suspect most people) and only have a vague idea of how the new rendering system might impact our projects ?

Based on the information i have seen and read provided by the GS staff, yes i have a very good understanding of how it works and how it will impact my game.

@FINNBOGG said:
    Customers are lazy these days.

An unfortunate truth.

edited May 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    all that information is made available for everyone else to read and see so they too become better aware of whats going on.

I disagree that the information is readily available - although I'm happy to be proven wrong, simply point me to the relevant information.

@Lovejoy said:
    "but I suspect for most GS users the 'new rendering engine' is a technically opaque term"
    Maybe because they choose not to educate themselves and read about the very engine they are using.

I think it's more the case that the information is not readily available.

@Lovejoy said:
    "Ignorance is always an excuse for ignorance (axiomatically) which is the very point of my post ?"
    It still does not make it a valid excuse in my opinion.

A valid excuse for what ?

Ignorance is not intended to be an 'excuse' for anything, it is simply saying that there is a lack of information - if your argument is that a lack of information is not a valid excuse for a lack of information then I'm not what to do with that ! :smile:

@Lovejoy said:
    i do not agree that there is no communication or that its a failure.

Then you'd simply link to the relevant information ? Share it with the curious (or wilfully ignorant :) depending on your outlook) ?

@Lovejoy said:
    Based on the information i have seen and read provided by the GS staff, yes i have a very good understanding of how it works and how it will impact my game.

What are the benefits of the new rendering system ?

edited May 2015

@Socks said:
    I disagree that the information is readily available.

I never said readily available, i said available. Two different meanings.

@Socks said:
    I think it's more the case that the information is not readily available.

This i agree with.

@Socks said:
    A valid excuse for what ?

Ignorance is not intended to be an 'excuse' for anything, it is simply saying that there is a lack of information - if your argument is that a lack of information is not a valid excuse for a lack of information then I'm not sure how to react to that ! :smile:

I never said that lack of informations isn't a valid excuse so I don't quite follow, seems like we both misunderstood ourself somewhere on this matter.

@Socks said:

Its not my job nor will i entertain this type of question. It goes back to the user being lazy and not looking through the material provided/doing their own research.

edited May 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    Its not my job nor will i entertain this type of question

Lol :smile:

A: I think there is a lack of information about the benefits of X
    B: Not true, you are just lazy, 'if the information isn't being provided then ask away'
    A: Ok, what are the benefits of X ?
    B: I won't entertain this type of question.

Lol, like I say, the information surrounding some of the more exciting sounding features of 14.1 is not readily available, regardless of some oddly absurd circular appolgism ! :tongue:

@Socks said:
    Lol :smile:

A: I think there is a lack of information about the benefits of X
    B: Not true, you are just lazy, 'if the information isn't being provided then ask away'
    A: Ok, what are the benefits of X ?
    B: I won't entertain this type of question.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. It may seem like what we just talked about but without the context surrounding such answers.

Lol, like I say, the information surrounding some of the more exciting sounding features of 14.1 is hard to come by, regardless of rather absurd circular appolgism ! :tongue:

You are flip flopping between one feature and the patch as a whole.

edited May 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Agreed.

@Lovejoy said:
    You are flip flopping between one feature and the patch as a whole.

Not at all, I used the new rendering engine as an example of a new feature in 14.1 (quoted from my initial post on the subject" "for example the 'new rendering engine' sounds very enticing") So while the comment is general I'm happy to illustrate it with the lack of 'information surrounding the new rendering engine'.

@Socks said:
    Not at all, I used the new rendering engine as an example of a new feature in 14.1 (quoted from my initial post on the subject" "for example the 'new rendering engine' sounds very enticing") So while the comment is general I'm happy to illustrate it with the lack of 'information surrounding the new rendering engine'.

Gotcha.

edited May 2015

A waste of time.

@Socks said:
    A waste of time.

Faster loading times.

@Lovejoy said:
    Faster loading times.

Its not my job nor will i entertain this type of response. :smile:

@Socks said:
    Its not my job nor will i entertain this type of response. :smile:

Well within your right.

@Lovejoy said:
    Well within your right.

Yes, but generally speaking, the idea of a forum is the open sharing of ideas rather than people exercising their right to avoid questions, lol : )

Back to square 1:

0.14 seems like a tangible move forward for GameSalad, maybe someone should collate (and relate) quite what 0.14 means for GameSalad users, at the moment it feels like this sizeable move forward is being underplayed, underreported, information smeared across a dozen ill-focused and not easy to find reports - for example the 'new rendering engine' sounds very enticing (for me personally, anything that improves rendering is always an enormously exciting development ! :smile: ) yet from the official GS reports you'd be hard pushed to even know what 'new rendering engine' actually means, information is vague, if you are really on the ball and have logged into the forums for the last year and happened to read the right threads and perhaps taken part in the relevant 'meet ups' you might be better informed, but I suspect for most GS users the 'new rendering engine' is a technically opaque term.

@Socks said:
    Yes, but generally speaking, the idea of a forum is the open sharing of ideas rather than people exercising their right to avoid questions, lol : )

Now that your question is answered the above statement is irrelevant.

Back to square 1:

Here we go again... :D

@Lovejoy said:
    Now that your question is answered the above statement is irrelevant.

I'm not sure name calling, avoiding questions on subjects you claim to be informed on and general moralising really counts as answering a question.

@Socks said:
    I'm not sure name calling, avoiding questions on subjects you claim to be informed on and general moralising really counts as answering a question.

You seem to keep misreading what i write or deliberately twisting my words. I have not name called anyone, and the one question you asked was answered. Based on your answers it seems to me that you are speaking with emotion instead of facts.

edited May 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    You seem to keep misreading what i write or deliberately twisting my words.

If you can produce an actual example of this then I'll see if I can clarify my position.

@Lovejoy said:
    I have not name called anyone . . .

I am asking, what I feel, is a perfectly valid question, I've said I feel information about 14.1 is vague, the little information that is out there is spread across out of date threads, videos, comments by GS in various threads and so on - and your response was to call people who are not up to date with all this information ignorant and lazy.

To me that is taking, what I see as a perfectly legitimate question, a question entirely related to the disseminating of information about GameSalad, on a forum dedicated to the disseminating of information about GameSalad and turning the conversation into something personal, moralising and judging other people personally.

@Lovejoy said:
    Based on your answers it seems to me that you are speaking with emotion instead of facts.

Lol. "speaking with emotion instead of facts" euphemism of the week :smiley:

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

I'm just sayin they already have the forums. And even then not all into is packed into one spot. A lot of it is scattered. Same questions asked over and over. But as a entity wanting to bring in as many customers as possible. Get as many people feeling that edge to buy pro. Then cover the other half of your clientele. Everything had text to explain. But it also needs flash. Take those boring words that some may not understand and put some flash to it helping the right brainers understand what's going on my on. Have you never had to explain what the basis component are in a computer and have the use metaphors to explain what they do. I'm not saying go to that extreme. But you will reach more people if you cover more of your audience. You see the snub everyday life now. Commercials are the best example. Flare. Not text.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

I haven't read this whole thread, but I didn't really agree with what I did read. Now is not the time to be telling people what the new rendering engine is, or any other new features in 0.14. Anyone really wanting to know about these coming features will know - they've explained in several forum threads and meet-ups. Anyone who doesn't want to live on the bleeding edge of GameSalad development just doesn't need to know yet.

When 0.14 is released, that's the point they need to make users understand what the new version represents and what it offers. Trying to do so now will just confuse the hell out of people.

About 60% of my clients aren't using the latest stable build, let alone the latest RC or daily. Even when 0.13.14 was an RC and leaps and bounds better than 0.13.7 I still had to explain to a lot of people how to update.

Disseminating any major dumps of information before a stable 0.14 release would be worse than unhelpful, it would be positively counter-productive.

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

I don't know where I read this, but doesn't the new rendering engine use advancing caching instead of reading directly from the APK{for android}, and for iOS, it was a different method, but it handles the graphics more dynamically, to reduce lag during run time. It was more specific than that, but I can't remember. :/

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@Lovejoy said:
    An unfortunate truth.

I only agree somewhat..... although customers are lazy, we are bombarded with upgrades and changes

Adobe upgrades and changes
    facebook upgrade and changes
    Xcode upgrade and changes
    Flash upgrade and changes
    apple policy upgrade and changes
    google upgrade and changes
    iOS upgrade and changes
    Spine upgrades and changes
    Logic upgrade and changes
    GamesSalad upgrade and changes
    diaper upgrade and changes

on and on and on........