Published Windows 8 game has audio cutting out

NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34

I'm side-load testing a game on my Windows 8 machine, and the music is louder than it was supposed to be, while a few other sound effects sometimes don't play, other times they cut out randomly. The game also does not play well in Preview, where sound effects cut out even more. However, the same game on the Arcade plays perfectly in Google Chrome.

Anyone have an idea how to fix? I'm using 0.10.5.

Comments

• Nate_SNate_S Nate - Pixel Artist - Developer - Graphics Designer Member Posts: 86

Open a ticket with support.

**Nate - Pixel Artist - Developer - Graphics Designer **

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Have you tried using 0.13.14?

• NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2015

I tested it by publishing with 0.13.14, and it plays exactly the same on Windows 8 as the one exported via 0.10.5. It may have to do with having more than 1 sound effect playing at a time, but I wouldn't think that should be an issue, since there may be like 2 or 3 playing at once.

What's a lot weirder (FYI since my game is done) is in GameSalad 0.13.14, while previewing the project, if you hit Play, instead of rotating, actor images weirdly contort in a 3D-esque way (see image here: http://s13.postimg.org/ip3kn56lj/id949833.png), and 2 out of my 3 types of enemies just sit instead of pursuing the player, ignore some collision rules, and then self-destruct (only following some of the destruction rules) after about 4 seconds for no reason.

If I preview it in Web Preview, the playback is very choppy and slow for the first 15 or so seconds, then the playback becomes somewhat decent, but all sound effects stop playing except for music, so changes to the game involving sound would become tough to test, which I probably won't be doing, but others who are working on projects from 0.10.5 may be.

• izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503

Regarding audio cutoff without reason, I experience this as well when published to Windows 8 and testing it on a windows 8 machine.

@izam, thanks for the heads up. Did you find any way to solve it?

there is no way so far. This happens randomly. And very annoying because the gameplay experience is not consistent across android, iOS, and windows8 because of this issue.

Does it happen to all your Win8 apps randomly, or just to some of them? And does it also happen in Android/iOS or is this just a Win8 problem?

It happens to all of my Win8 apps. And it happens randomly. It does not happen on Android and iOS. This is a Win8 problem.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. Just today i did more testing and ran into a far bigger problem... the music cuts out after a time. It appears to happen at the end of the song, where it's supposed to Loop - the game I rendered in 0.10.5 didn't even loop the music once, while the game rendered in 0.13.14 only looped once, then just stopped.

@Nater Tater , I will indeed open a ticket with support about this.

@Nicris yes that's exactly what I experienced. I doubt the GS ppl will work on this anytime soon. Seems like they're too busy with getting 10.4 out the door. And with the new rendering engine which I am so afraid will break the images in my games. For sure.

This audio issue has been happening for a year I think... or ever since Windows 8 publishing was made possible in GS.

• Perritech BetaPerritech Beta Member, PRO Posts: 14
    edited June 2015

I'm hoping that won't be the case. Although the sound effects glitching is annoying, it's not so bad that totally ruins the game, but having music just stop will likely throw off the player.

It doesn't just throw off the player, it ruins the whole experience of gameplay.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Please file a bug with us and we will look into the issue.