FEATURE REQUEST: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation Option

ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
edited June 2015 in Working with GS (Mac)

It would be great if we're able to select Bilinear Interpolation or Nearest Neighbor Interpolation as a scaling option.

One of the simpler ways of increasing an image size is nearest-neighbor interpolation, replacing every pixel with a number of pixels of the same color. This can be incredibly useful when making pixel art games. When scaling a tiny 8 bit image within gamedsalad, it will be as sharp as non scaled, and it will not make a difference on the memory. So you can create tiny pixel art sprites/textures, and just save them the way they are, no pre scaling needed!

At the moment we need to pre-scale pixel art in photoshop (or other software). When importing the image in gamesalad, it is unnecessary big, and is using unnecessary ram.

Nearest Neighbor Interpolation is just a different algorithm to process images, not a fancy new feature. Almost every engine I know of had this neat little feature from the beginning, it's time to get it too.

Please vote!

Edit: Forgot the link http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1095

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Approw said:
    It would be great if we're able to select Bilinear Interpolation or Nearest Neighbor Interpolation as a scaling option.

It's already on the way.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
    edited June 2015

@Socks seriously? I have asked it before, but I never got a straight answer or confirmation from the gs staff. Maybe I've missed it:|

@Socks said:
    It's already on the way.

@BlackCloakGS Can you confirm this?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

We are adding an option in 0.14 where you can set the texture filter to point (for pixel art) or liner (for non pixel art)

edited June 2015

@Approw said:
    Socks seriously? I have asked it before, but I never got a straight answer or confirmation from the gs staff. Maybe I've missed it:|

Seriously !! :smile: Great news for pixel art / 8 bit GameSalad developer folk , welcome to the era of super smooth, glitch free, rapid loading, tiny memory footprint goodness !! :smile:

@BlackCloakGS said:
    We are adding an option in 0.14 where you can set the texture filter to point (for pixel art) or liner (for non pixel art)

Great stuff !

Would this be per asset, or is it a global setting for each project ?

Also when you say 'liner' do you mean bilinear or linear (and is this setting what is being used at the moment) ?

@BlackCloakGS said:

OMG... This is really great news, thank you so much for this update. For me this will probably the best new feature along with the new render engine in 0.14. I will get such a huge performance boost in my pixel games:D
    Is this also going to enable us to create a small scene (for example 192x256), and when you rotate and actor, it will look pixelated when turning?

@Socks said:
    Seriously !! :smile: Great news for pixel art / 8 bit GameSalad developer folk , welcome to the era of super smooth, glitch free, rapid loading, tiny memory footprint goodness !! :smile:

Im dancing in at this particular moment:)

@Socks said:
    Great stuff !

Would this be per asset, or is it a global setting for each project ?

Good question, I assume it will be a global setting.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

This is excellent news :)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Yes! The end of @4x and @6x textures! That means massive memory savings!

@BlackCloakGS @dgackey Any status update regarding the point texture filter? I know the team has been busy with the custom collisions, but I actually thought the new texture filter would have been implemented in the last update. Any chance it will be there in the upcoming update?

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

i secondi this!

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited December 2015

we still want to do this but other higher priorities are keeping this on the back burner.

Have you put in a feature request into our bug system?

@BlackCloakGS I understand. And yes, it is listed as bug 1095. http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1095