NYC Gamesalad Meetup

WarpSpeedWarpSpeed NYCMember Posts: 84

I have been thinking about this topic for about two weeks now and the new discussion posted by @ookami007 "Local Event Near Philadelphia, PA" regarding Gamesalad groups has inspired me to start this discussion.

I am in New York City and was wondering if anyone else out there is from around NYC as well. Maybe we could start a meetup and get together once a month or so to share, talk, and discuss ideas regarding Gamesalad.

I use meetup.com as a routine starting point for these meetups. It is a free service where the group coordinator(s) set up individual meetups regarding a specific topic (in this case Gamesalad). The usual format for tech meetups is to have one or more speakers present on a specific topic (for Gamesalad some examples are: In-App Purchases, a type of Behavior, Copyrighted Images, Advertising etc... ). There is time allocated for questions as well. Also, time is set aside for networking and conversation within the group.

One obstacle that must be overcome is the meeting location. Finding somebody to donate a space can be difficult (especially in NYC). We will also need AV supplies.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

As of now there are no meetups in NYC that discuss Gamesalad that I know about.

This idea can be used anywhere so if anyone has questions about meetup.com and their format I will do my best to answer them. Their website is pretty informative.

Best to all,
WarpSpeed

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Let me know if i can help any way to get a meetup group started in NY City or surround area. If you get it going we can give you access the GameSalad meetup.com page to announce your meetup.

• WarpSpeedWarpSpeed NYCMember Posts: 84

Thanks @BlackCloakGS. Not much interest yet, but I will keep trying. I go to various meetups here all the time. Haven't been able to make the regular GS meetup as I am busy Tuesday/Thursday nights for now.

• tiger27tiger27 Member Posts: 127
    edited June 2015

@WarpSpeed I think that is an amazing idea and I was just thinking about it! We should totally do that! If you already have some ideas you should post them here! It would be so cool to have a meetup in New York. (As to the location problem, we don't neccesarily have to do it in New York City, maybe somewhere close by?)

Thank you @tiger27. Still hoping to get a better response. We'll see. @ookami007 has a similar idea for events around Philadelphia. Lets see if any interest grows for NYC (or nearby).

Anybody live in/around NYC?

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

I live in the Lehigh Valley, PA - So about 2 to 2.5 hours from NYC. If we could meet in NJ, that's about 2 hours for me, which I'm willing to do.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

I live in Michigan. But I work in NYC area

@ookami007 said:
    I live in the Lehigh Valley, PA - So about 2 to 2.5 hours from NYC. If we could meet in NJ, that's about 2 hours for me, which I'm willing to do.

I'm limited to the train because I do not currently own a vehicle (don't need one in the city). I'm more familiar with New Jersey transit (Princeton, Newark) but I do have a friend in Lancaster and he trains into the city from there.

So basically I need to be near a train station to meet.

The hardest part will be figuring out where to have this meetup.

• dailycocoadailycocoa Member Posts: 3

I live in NY too and would attend meetups. If we are less than 5 people in the beginning we can start off having dinners together somewhere and discuss the industry.

How about those of you who have limited transportation options give some possibles based on what you can get to and see if that's within striking distance for everyone else.

If we want to make it happen, we need to start somewhere. Maybe something near Jersey City or Union City.

edited June 2015

Any one who's interested in trying to help should probably tell me an I'll add you to a conversation we're having through PMs. Okay? Also, There's not going to be a place IN New York City, but maybe near by. I'll pm @BlackCloakGS and see if he has any ideas.

edited June 2015

I'll add you to the conversation, okay?

Alright, I added you.

I'm interested too. :D

I have PM'd all who have shown interest in this topic with a new discussion thread. @tiger27 @ookami007 @FINNBOGG @Unknown User

Please use either the PM or this forum to discuss. All are welcome! If you want to be added to the PM list just let me know.

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211

Please add me to the PM list!

@firemaplegames You have been added.