Looking for 1-2 partners to help design and build an RPG (PAID)

SheldonkwSheldonkw Member Posts: 25
edited June 2015 in Help Wanted

I am looking for one or two partners to help work on a turn based RPG, ideally an artist and a story/game designer.

Game Description
I enjoy working with GS and building projects but I am useless when it comes to art, story, and game/level design. I am looking to design a game similar to the early Zelda games and the two original Paper Mario games, I like the open world feel of Zelda and the turn based feel of Paper Mario. I am 100% open to ideas.

Contact Me
If you are interested in partnering, you can contact me on Skype or pm me, I prefer Skype. My Skype username is Sheldon392. We will discuss a Partnership Profit-Sharing Agreement and other aspects of a potential partnership.

My Info:
Name: Sheldon Woodward
About Me: I enjoy working with computers and I am fairly skilled with GS. I am an honest and upright individual with an open mind. I am leaving to go to college in late September to study engineering and a computer based field.

Please feel free to post or contact me if you have any questions. Thanks.

Comments

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

Allright! Love the old Zelda games. What have you got so far? Is this paid?

Cheers!

• SheldonkwSheldonkw Member Posts: 25

We will portion out whatever money we end up making, but that will be the future, I want to make a quality game.

I've put together a few open world projects before but they tend not to work out too well in GS due to a few limitations. A sectioned off world that loads in smaller chunks seems to work better plus its easier to design. I have started working on a basic template focusing more on the math and technical aspects of an RPG. I can't go much further till I have better idea of what the game is about and how it will work.

• AppCrazyAppCrazy Member Posts: 7

I would like to help, how old do you have to be?

18 or older

• deej011deej011 Member Posts: 159

Hi Sheldonkw i would just like to give you a bit of a heads up i have been working on an old school RPG similar to zelda/pokemon game now for about 6 months which is currently in alpha testing so very close to being able to release it. But just thought i would let you know it is extremely complicated and not worth starting if your not willing to put in a lot of time and money to make it happen. I outsourced graphics, dialogue and music/sfx even though i was able to get really good quality work for good price I'm upto at least $600 i have spent on that stuff with still a lot more needed. I hope you can do it as i think it would be an incredible market to get into (who doesn't like old school RPG games) best of luck.

edited June 2015

@deej011 Thanks for the heads up, ill keep that in mind :) I'd be interested in looking at your game when you finish it.

• AngryBoiAngryBoi Member Posts: 586

@deej011 said:
    Hi Sheldonkw i would just like to give you a bit of a heads up i have been working on an old school RPG similar to zelda/pokemon game now for about 6 months which is currently in alpha testing so very close to being able to release it. But just thought i would let you know it is extremely complicated and not worth starting if your not willing to put in a lot of time and money to make it happen. I outsourced graphics, dialogue and music/sfx even though i was able to get really good quality work for good price I'm upto at least $600 i have spent on that stuff with still a lot more needed. I hope you can do it as i think it would be an incredible market to get into (who doesn't like old school RPG games) best of luck.

Share it when your all done and it's published!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Sheldonkw said:
    We will portion out whatever money we end up making, but that will be the future, I want to make a quality game.

While I fully support your project and hope it's a great success, this doesn't qualify it as a paid opportunity.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

i dont wanna burst your bubble but there thousands of this plans in forums all over the world wide web and their writers are over ambitious and unexperienced.

I can only say it again.
    "Don't build an RPG. Build Pong and ship it."

PS: Yea I read about your 6 months project. But I don't see anything.

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339
    edited June 2015

@BigDave said:

I can only say it again.

Hmm. I agree on maybe starting out simple. But it saddens me that you give him that kind of advice. I bet Sheldon will learn a lot while making his RPG. Let him do that. Let him learn. And let him ship it. I tried out what he had done so far, and the mechanics are really neat and well made.

Also, is he doing it for the money or for fun and to learn, and as a plus maybe make some cash. I know it might be a problem if he has a couple of partners who wants their share.

I dont know, but I wish you the best, Sheldon! Hope you find someone who would help you with the art and that you make some money from the game.

Cheers!

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@BigDave said:
    i dont wanna burst your bubble but there thousands of this plans in forums all over the world wide web and their writers are over ambitious and unexperienced.

I can only say it again.

PS: Yea I read about your 6 months project. But I don't see anything.

In general, good advice. But anyone can make pong, most people can't even come close to making a good RPG.

Seems like that supports your claim right? Kind of.

If everyone can make pong, but can't make an RPG, then having the skills and patience to make an RPG puts you at an advantage over the average game maker, who can make only pong level games.

After all, the app store is filled with clones and small games, some profitable, most not.

If a person really truly is willing to dedicate the needed time to make an RPG, I say go for it!

You'll learn a ton more if you see it through.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Nothing wrong with aiming high or higher than pong anyway :)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I think @BigDave is just afraid of competition. :trollface:

• app_sauceapp_sauce Member, PRO Posts: 206

I think doing big projects at first have the potential to get very frustrating. I agree with @BigDave , And while everyone might be able to build pong, they might not make it as polished as you or add the same fresh new feature to the hypothetical "pong" we are speaking about. When I first started gs I wanted to build an huge zelda type game I worked on it for months and got frustrated and quit, not saying this will happen to you. Making ambitious games will teach you a lot about creating in gamesalad so I can't say it was a total failure. I think creating a game and launching it teaches you the entire game design process from thinking up an idea to promoting it and everything inbetween. So if you want to get good and delivering apps I would say the only way to do it is to complete the entire process many times. But, finish the RPG that you have time sunk into and maybe have a back burner small weekend project for when you get tired of your main project. And try to launch this small project first to learn the ins and outs of publishing and promoting. Good luck

SocializeTwitter , **My Site ** **Play Loop Zen Free **iOS HERE, Google Play HERE

• As_Of_LatteAs_Of_Latte Member, BASIC Posts: 343

RPG pong.

• deej011deej011 Member Posts: 159

Here is what dedication and hard work will get you if you don't aim high you will never get anywhere. With that said not anybody could do this as it is EXTREMELY difficult but best of luck to all that wish to give it a go. This is just a video of the creator preview so its a bit laggy and sound isn't quite in sync but works perfectly of device.