Send SMS Text

smacampaniasmacampania Member, PRO Posts: 3

How can I send sms messages via button " on touch "? Tnx

Comments

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

you get a high education within programming, then you do some serious programming for a few years and then you apply for a job at GameSalad and manage to get hired and thereafter you make sure to program functionality for that into the tool.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,351

I personally find the idea of an app being able to send an SMS from my phone pretty horrifying.

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

I find not being able to send sms to be terribly shortsighted. I wonder if that functionality will be added when that form of marketing your app is completely dead

• Kid_Ninja_GamesKid_Ninja_Games Member, PRO Posts: 25

Perhaps find a web based solution and use the PRO Url behaviour to get to it?

You don't find it odd that this basic functionality is missing?

@ant_lad said:
    You don't find it odd that this basic functionality is missing?

I've never played a game or used an app that does it. I'd be pretty worried if Apple even allowed it. What on earth would you want to use it for? A Messages replacement app?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

As @Kid_Ninja_Games said, use a web based solution. If a developer offers this kind of service, then the cost of the SMS is carried by him, financed indirectly through the app.

• Kid_Ninja_GamesKid_Ninja_Games Member, PRO Posts: 25

Just to reiterate what Armelline and ant_lad said, just because there may be some web based solution out there doesn't mean that utilizing SMS in a game would be a good look. However, if you are using GameSalad to create apps instead of games, I guess I get where you are coming from. I have had a bit of fun as of late, with simple apps that make sounds

@armelline Have you really never used an app that wanted you to send a sms to a 'friend' to get them to download?
    But yes, many types of apps use/can use sms. Messenger apps normally don't use full sms; they kind of cheat through loopholes in carrier systems.
    Remember that GS develops for more than just ios. In the android market, this is a common permission and can be used for all sorts of things.
    Developers are in business. Not having basic functionality like this can hamstring a developer. With a different company than google poised to take the android crown away from google, this becomes extremely worrisome. It greatly expands on developer capabilities, specifically the ways to wring a little bit more money out of apps. SMS is one of those ways.
    I haven't used windows mobile os for a few years, but when I did, sms was a function inside apps.
    I haven't looked into whether or not 'messages' from apps on mac os are sms or not.

edited June 2015

@ant_lad said:
    armelline Have you really never used an app that wanted you to send a sms to a 'friend' to get them to download?

Literally never. If you give me some examples though I'll take a look, but that kind of practice would make me uninstall immediately. And block any friends that SMS'd spam from apps! It boggles my mind that this is considered acceptable behaviour :D

Messenger apps normally don't use full sms; they kind of cheat through loopholes in carrier systems.

I literally meant Apple's Messages app, which iPhones use to send SMS messages. I wasn't thinking Whatsapp type things.

In the android market, this is a common permission and can be used for all sorts of things.

Makes me even more glad I don't have an Android! Letting apps send text messages from my phone... scary thought. Even if they're sending it through their own servers, still not something I really want on my phone.

Developers are in business. Not having basic functionality like this can hamstring a developer.

I really disagree that this is basic functionality. There are 100 other things I'd rather see GameSalad focus on first.

It greatly expands on developer capabilities, specifically the ways to wring a little bit more money out of apps. SMS is one of those ways.

What stops them sending SMS's to premium rate numbers, costing you lots of money?

@armelline "What stops them sending SMS's to premium rate numbers, costing you lots of money?" Honestly, nothing.
    Android even warns you with google's own apps that they can do this. However, it really comes down to how android is built and deployed. It has happened in the past, but if you read reviews you can avoid it.
    It comes down to permissions. The Photo app that google makes needs permissions to sms due to sharing a photo through sms, from the Photo app. If you have half a brain you can easily see if an app needs the permissions it is asking you to OK before downloading.
    My comment about it hamstringing developers is: whether anyone wants to admit it or not, releasing an android app is seen as the easiest entry point to getting into harvesting and selling data. Android, and even more so, the coming flavors of android, are built to facilitate that. As more come to start dealing in data, GS will get worse marks for not being able to provide the basic functionality that people have come to expect.

• smacampaniasmacampania Member, PRO Posts: 3
    edited June 2015

no deception , it needed to send a text message of solidarity for a non-profit organization at the end of the game , with the associated costs . it is absurd that there isn't a solution

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@ant_lad said:
    Honestly, nothing.

Well, at least you are clear on your terms of 'marketing' and how you would like to

@ant_lad said:
    wring a little bit more money out of apps.

Hmm...

@ant_lad said:
    SMS is one of those ways.

Yup. We get it. That's exactly why we wouldn't install an app that does that. It's probably exactly why Android is plagued with the problems it has.

How about, instead:

@pHghost said:
    Being creative and productive and trying to bring joy into peoples lives and create apps that make their lives better? Trying to make sure you bring people something of value. You know, then they might even pay you for your work, however strange that might sound to you.

@smacampania said:
    with the associated costs

LOL. Seriously...

You can always use the URL function to send them to your website where they can send you a donation if THEY decide it is worthwhile. But first I would update the website, because right now it looks very, very fake. ;)

• smacampaniasmacampania Member, PRO Posts: 3

@pHghost do you think that a donation is free ? the SMS is the fastest way to perform it ( here in Italy not everyone has a bank account but everyone has a cell phone ) . And specify the cost is to be honest . We admit the software limit .

You can give them the SMS information on the website for them to decide.

If you are in control of sending it via software, then it's bound to cause mistakes and so on.

The honest thing to do is leave the customer in control, not try to wiggle them into something. Especially if you call yourself a charity.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited June 2015

from a technical point of view, using my send/receive tutorial you could easily send an text message if you had some custom server side software :)

@pHghost said:

Being creative and productive and trying to bring joy into peoples lives and create apps that make their lives better? Trying to make sure you bring people something of value. You know, then they might even pay you for your work, however strange that might sound to you.

Try reading next time.