Hello!

MalosoMaloso Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone.

I downloaded GS a week ago and have been enjoying learning to use it. I am an avid gamer and have always been interested in creating games, however I have always had trouble trying to learn to code, thus I am here :smile:
I am from New Zealand, am currently employed as a Land Surveyor and also have a degree in accounting and finance, so game making is a step in a completely new and exciting direction. I particularly like the idea of creating something of my own.

I do have a couple of questions. I have been following some of the free tutorials by Jaime Cross and have considered his book which has been suggested by a number of people. However I see he uses mac and I am pc user so I am wondering how easy it would be to follow. I have the same issue following any tutorials done in mac but I usually figure it out in the end.

As a pc user, is it possible/easy to transfer work over to mac, and vice versa? I have access to both at home so just curious if there are any limitations.

I have read that you can only have one account here and no account sharing. I use GS on multiple computers and at the moment, 2 IPs. Will there be any issues?

One last general question, does anyone here create games for a living, or is it mostly hobbyist?

Thanks in advance. I hope to get more involved here on the forums as my knowledge of GS increases.

Comments

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

@Maloso said:
    Hi everyone.

I downloaded GS a week ago and have been enjoying learning to use it. I am an avid gamer and have always been interested in creating games, however I have always had trouble trying to learn to code, thus I am here :smile:

Welcome! And I hope your experience with GS is a good one!

I am from New Zealand, am currently employed as a Land Surveyor and also have a degree in accounting and finance, so game making is a step in a completely new and exciting direction. I particularly like the idea of creating something of my own.

It's a great feeling when you publish your first game! I hope you can create your own!

I do have a couple of questions. I have been following some of the free tutorials by Jaime Cross and have considered his book which has been suggested by a number of people. However I see he uses mac and I am pc user so I am wondering how easy it would be to follow. I have the same issue following any tutorials done in mac but I usually figure it out in the end.

The differences are slight. If you are having issues, I suggest renting a virtual mac online and doing your development (or at least learning) on the virtual mac. Personally, I had the same issue you are... I am a PC guy and learned on a PC. Other than the interface, the behaviors are basically the same and now they are much more similiar with the .13 updates.

As a pc user, is it possible/easy to transfer work over to mac, and vice versa? I have access to both at home so just curious if there are any limitations.

It's possible. You can export from Mac to PC or export from PC to Mac. I hear, but haven't tested that .13 is fairly seamless.

I have read that you can only have one account here and no account sharing. I use GS on multiple computers and at the moment, 2 IPs. Will there be any issues?

I have no problems logging on using my PC and then switching and logging on using my Mac. Not sure if you can have both versions of GS running at the same time.

One last general question, does anyone here create games for a living, or is it mostly hobbyist?

I have like 10 jobs (.Net programmer, hypnotherapist, stage hypnotist, writer, college instructor, magician, mentalist, game programmer, internet marketer and slave to my cat - tho the last is more of a calling that a job)

Thanks in advance. I hope to get more involved here on the forums as my knowledge of GS increases.

Look forward to seeing you more active on the forums. Feel free to check out my site monkeyuncle.com. I have some tutorials and free basic templates.

Good luck!

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

Howdy

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Here is a video comparison of the Macintosh and Windows versions of Gamesalad, it should help you learn some of the differences and make watching Mac based tutorials a little easier.

• MalosoMaloso Member Posts: 2

Thanks @ookami007
    I had a look at your website and it looks good. I tried to download one of your free templates to have a look at it however I keep getting an error when I go to checkout. (" The page you are looking for doesn't seem to exist.") Any ideas?

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

In the description they give a dropbox link

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

@Maloso Sorry about the issues. I corrected them and you should be able to get as many templates as you wish. I also have new tutorials on the site as well.