Tips & tricks - what would you like to see

13»

Comments

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

No worries. Worst thing about reading words from others...you don't hear the inflections in their voice if had been spoken...and we tend to elaborate more when speaking vs typing...which was my fault !

:-)

• mshuraih mshuraih Member, PRO Posts: 179

1- I am beginner to intermediate i think
    2- Many things to learn still but what would help me to improve is to know how to use the debug function.

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

1 intermediate
    2 I would like to have things like IAPs and Facebook itegration explaied more simply

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Armelline said:

• Advanced

Sine and Cosine - wonderful explanation, thank you. It inspires all kinds of ideas. :astonished:
    I'd love to learn more.

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

@jonmulcahy said:
    Check out the link in my signature :)

Done and it looks great. I'll take a few days soon and really try to digest and get it working. Looks thorough and people are saying great things.

Cheers

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Socks said:
    Attached is a sin/cos ruler to go with your video, grab the end of the angle line and drag it around to any angle you want and the cos and sin of that angle will be displayed.

I just had a chance to really look at that demo for the first time and bloody hell is it impressive and useful!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2015

@Armelline said:
    I just had a chance to really look at that demo for the first time and bloody hell is it impressive and useful!

Cheers Armelline, if you want to switch off the 5° quantising just open up the rules for the 'grabber' and switch off Constrain Attribute (locked to 5° increments) and switch on Constrain Attribute (free movement).

I think there is scope to extend a demo like this to show people what cos and sin are doing (at least in respect of what's useful in a lot of GS game making), for example once people - after dragging the angle about - get used to the idea that for every angle their are two values, a cosine and a sine value, and they can see they are simply the horizontal and vertical distance from the centre point (assuming a radius=1) to where that angle touches the edge of a circle - then you could show how useless these small values are for mobile gaming by zooming out to show the tiny vertical and horizontal coordinates they generate - you could then be presented with a slider that multiplies the cos and sin values (for example 300*cos(angle)) which immediately shows you why you might commonolly multiply the cos/sin values to get something more useful for - for example - an iPad screen.

You could then introduce the idea of replacing the angle value (which is currently manually dragged about) with a value that increases or decreases all by itself (for example using game.time or an interpolating value as the angle value).

And as game.time increases at the pretty sedentary (and axiomatic!) rate of 1 second every second . . . which would mean a 1° change in the angle every second, so 6 minutes for an actor to complete a circle (360° = 360 seconds = 6 minutes) . . . we could see how you might want to multiply the game.time value to speed it up to something more useful for games.

And then it would be fairly easy (at least visually) to see that all these values are related to the circle's centre point - and once we've made the cos/sin values bigger, and automated the changing angle, and sped it up . . . how we might then want to change where the centre point sits on the screen . . .

So we end up with a visual explanation of a AAAsin(game.timeBBB)+CCC

AAA = multiplying cos/sin to make the whole deal bigger than a tiny 1pixel radius
    game.time + *BBB = automate the angle so it just keeps changing
    CCC = move the centre point of the circle around

. . . if I get a chance I might throw a demo project together explaining all these concepts.

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

@Socks said:
    . . . if I get a chance I might throw a demo project together explaining all these concepts.

Wow! Just wow! Very neat. Thanks for the extra detail.

• barleyesqbarleyesq Member Posts: 72

[1] Intermediate user
    [2] Am desperate for better text and font options. Especially custom fonts without having to create images for everything!

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74

Intermediate - Learning how to implement cash shop items/ads into the game

• msecchiamsecchia Member Posts: 9

Hi,

New user here.

I am making a vocab game to learn languages, and I'd like to understand how to choose a non-repeating random answer from a table.

For example, I first show the English word, then I pull out 8 foreign language words, one of which is correct. My problem is that I get repeats coming out.

What is the best way to randomly query a table, and check that it has not already been pulled out?

I am currently using Loop, but I must be using it wrong, as I have been trying for three days but to no avail.

Thanks!

Mark

edited June 2015

@msecchia said:
    Hi,

New user here.

I am making a vocab game to learn languages, and I'd like to understand how to choose a non-repeating random answer from a table.

I think that's such a specific question that you'd be better off posing it in the forums, there are lots of very helpful people who will doubtlessly have some useful input, I won't personally nominate anyone (@tatiang #TableExpert :tongue: ) but I'm sure you will get lots of helpful input if you put together a clear and detailed overview of what you are trying to achieve.

• msecchiamsecchia Member Posts: 9

thanks Socks! Just posted it.

• ThoPelThoPel GermanyMember, PRO Posts: 184

1) New

2)

• Advantages / disadvantages of single scene VS multiple scene
    • Different architectural approaches for apps
  • egorgesegorges Member Posts: 21

New user.
    I'd like more samples on using tables: search, edit, copy.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

1) New User but educated in programming.
    2) Most often when my project isn't performing, the bug was in an equation/expression. I struggle with proper formatting of complicated functions. I may be trying to do too much at once. I don't know what the expression entry fields can or can't do.

Early on, my struggles came down to things like not realizing I couldn't type in a variable name (that I had to select it from the dropdown thingy) and not knowing the 'translations' of basic systems like Do While, For, and loops. Basically I didn't understand the definitions and implications of Attribute and Timer. I needed (and maybe still do) simple but deeper dives and inspiration examples for the different behaviours and rules.

• AssortDisAssortDis Member, PRO Posts: 22
    1. Somewhere between beginner and intermediate
    2. I would like to know more about how to use functions like sine, cosine for complicated movements. And I didn't know putting ".." would combine text and functions together so similar tips or tricks would be nice.
  • bloodnitebloodnite Member Posts: 50
    1. I've released a couple of games now but still a beginner.. I rely on templates to get my games off the ground
    2. It would be fantastic if there were built-in code/rules such as in app purchasing for all projects at start-up, etc. Perhaps some other items like a built-in menu overlay? Just the obvious basic items that I've sure lots of beginners try to figure out.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

I think I'm an advanced user. I'd love to see some topics on pushing the boundaries of what you can do with GS, but I'm most curious to see how to setup some type of source control. I've been looking at GitLab, but have not really dove in yet.

edited July 2015

@Simple Apps said:
    2) Changing pivots and follow throughs.

Take a look at this thread/project.

• fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309
    1. intermediate/advanced
    2. Love to know more about multiplayer, servers, and what's gamesalads plans with it. Playstogether?
      I have 300,000 active users and no analytics and no way to communicate.
      How do I use my network to push sales? Currently I use chartboost house ad, but no way to add different ads in different locations.
      What would be great is if we had something like an uiimageview.
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@tappwater Games said:
    Intermediate - Ive never really gotten deep into what GameSalad can do.. To be honest, I've never actually used tables. I just don't understand why to use them

Tables are law. Tables are joy. Tables are life.

:) OK, I like tables.

• zenfinizenfini Member Posts: 7

Intermediate
    The one trap that catches me constantly is the fact that everything is in parallel. Often as I am working, I will read several commands in a row thinking they execute that way, but they don't. They all happen "at the same time". Better examples of how to manage events in sequence or from one actor to another.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

@zenfini said:
    They all happen "at the same time".

I DIDN'T KNOW THIS.
    IT EXPLAINS SO MANY BUGS.
    I have also spent much time painstakingly shifting around rules as they snap in and out of the 'wrong position'.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Yep, you really need to use attributes as listeners, or something along those lines, to ensure things happen in the order you want them to. :)

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@Hymloe said:
    Yep, you really need to use attributes as listeners, or something along those lines, to ensure things happen in the order you want them to. :)

I will have to test this but always assumed code is run top to bottom..........

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

@gattoman I heard that within the actor, it's top to bottom, but on the layers, it's bottom to top.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Code is, in most cases, run top to bottom. It isn't guaranteed, though. In 99% of cases it won't matter, and if you have problems in your logic it's something else. In some cases it really does, though. I made a Pop the Lock clone out of curiosity, and I found it that project was insanely sensitive to order of execution. But in most it's not a big concern. You can guarantee order of execution by using timers and/or rules, and in most cases that will be enough.

I did make a feature request for this, though. Vote for it if this is something you'd really like to see: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=406

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Here is a good one I have come up with....being able to select multiple actors in my project and shift all of them at the same time. This is similar to the snapping recently added to the creator that I love so much...but several being able to be moved to snap at one time.