My upcoming RPG game

deej011deej011 Member Posts: 159
edited June 2015 in Announce Your Game!

Here is my RPG game preview this is 6 months in the making. The video is just the creator preview so a bit laggy and music isn't in sync but works perfectly on device.

Comments

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited June 2015

Looks great! One suggestion though, replace the 0-9 text font (used when dealing damage and when using potions) with a custom font where you use images for 0-9 instead. That way your game would look even more polished. Personally I would also have changed the right stick color from red/yellow to dark blue/lighter blue to make the controller interface more consistent.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Holy crap! That looks awesome.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

Great job!

• deej011deej011 Member Posts: 159

Thanks guys

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looks really nice !! :smile:

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Very cool!

How do you put the areas together? Do you design them outside of GS and then create them inside? How do you manage tiles etc.?

Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Thanks again guys. I design the levels outside of GS with simple tile software than import them into GS

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@deej011 I am really glad someone is making an rpg, I always love to see projects that takes time , it shows how serious you are in building this game, and it inspires me. it looks awesome ! great job . This gave me the feeling of " Breath of Fire" on gameboy advance , and i love the loading screen but it might get a bit repetitive , i only suggest that you put different loading screen pictures if thats possible, i wish you the best in completing the game and I hope that you release it soon.

• CobraBladeCobraBlade Member Posts: 97

Looking good @deej011. Keep up the good work buddy.

@deej011 said:
    I design the levels outside of GS with simple tile software than import them into GS.

Does it import directly (automatically)? What software is it, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

Beautiful!!

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Yes... What software did you use?

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

I'm guessing possibly Tiled... It's a pretty good free tile map editor. I was using on an unfinished project to create tilemaps that I then imported to GameSalad as a CSV file. Worked pretty good.

• MhatMhat Member Posts: 4

Looks great. These types of RPGs are my favorite type if games by far. Good work, can't wait.

@Chunkypixels said:
    I was using on an unfinished project to create tilemaps that I then imported to GameSalad as a CSV file. Worked pretty good.

Cool. So this import works directly? Are there any tutorials on this?

Thanks!

edited June 2015

Cheers guy thanks for the feedback. Yea Tiled is a free tiling software I just turn it into a png and import my map into the game

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited June 2015

@pHghost its a while since I did it, but from what I recall it didn't import directly. One of the Tiled export options outputted the tile map data in a format that I could strip the data out of and copy over into an CSV file, which could then be loaded into GS as a Table. Once imported into a table it was just a case of setting up the game to pull the map data from the table file.

Sounds more complicated than it actually was... once I'd figured out which export format to strip the data from it was pretty easy to implement.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

@deej011 the GUI is well designed! :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

@robertkdale Thanks I'm really happy with how it has turned out.

@deej011 said:
    I just turn it into a png and import my map into the game

Ah, I see. I would normally be a bit wary of using large single .png files because of memory use, but this will get a lot more streamlined in 0.14, with the new rendering engine, megatextures and also the scaling filter for pixel art.

Thanks for sharing!

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@pHghost will games become faster in 0.14 ? i mean will they do something about game performance ?

@Icebox1910 said:
    will games become faster in 0.14 ? i mean will they do something about game performance ?

The memory footprint should be much smaller, if you use your graphics optimally. But of course, the best way is always to make sure you have clean code.

Some of the performance that was due to bugs/bad optimization should be resolved as well, so it should help with performance.

edited June 2015

Thanks @ice cream

• agueisagueis Member Posts: 420

Very good game , congratulations and good luck with sales

• Bowhill GamesBowhill Games Member Posts: 191

Hi @deej011 love the look of your game nothing better then a good RPG can I ask did you create the art yourself or is it a pack you have brought? I only ask as im in the process of creating one and don't want to spend all of my time focusing on the art when I should be perfecting the game play.

(site currently under construction)

Hi @Bowhill Games I pay people to make the art for me.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@Bowhill Games, There is some pretty nice free/donation RPG are available at the link below if you're interested:

http://kenney.nl/assets/roguelike-rpg-pack

• expertmcexpertmc Member Posts: 49

sooooooo cool!!!