What type of resource do you find most helpful?

ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
edited June 2015 in Community Tutorials

What type of resource do you find most helpful, and do you learn the most from?

I just prepared to make a video tutorial, and in doing so realised I had, well, a template sat there. So it seems worth finding out what people actually find most helpful, and how best to present the information I want to share.

I feel there's a lot of value to my Illustrated Guides, and plan to continue those regardless. But other things there's more flexibility for.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Are mods able to change polls? Judging from the number of views vs votes, it might be helpful to make this poll anonymous. @tatiang @RThurman

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I prefer a video tutorial with associated demo files. That gives you the best of both worlds in my opinion.

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

I think everyone enjoys watching a good video tutorial, when done well by someone who really knows what they are talking about. Rather than an explanation video of something thats already complete, I prefer to watch the project built from scratch, to see and hear the thinking behind the process. If a demo is provided well thats icing on the cake.

So my vote would be _ video tutorial and demo templet.

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

I enjoy the gif with a demo template

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

I prefer text tutorials. If things change I can still find my way. I often don't have time to sit through a 15 min video, or won't be able to hear parts of it.
    Maybe a generational thing- I often get antsy when watching a video because I want to be working on something in the brief time I have

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2015

@ant_lad said:
    I prefer text tutorials. If things change I can still find my way. I often don't have time to sit through a 15 min video, or won't be able to hear parts of it.
    Maybe a generational thing- I often get antsy when watching a video because I want to be working on something in the brief time I have

This is how I personally feel too, which is why I've mostly put my focus into written tutorials so far. Videos are the overwhelming winner currently, though, so got to give people what they want!

My Illustrated Guide series isn't going anywhere though!

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

I like videos becuase they often tell you WHY you do a certain thing. A projectfile can be good for sure, but nothing beats a well explained video tutorial

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited June 2015

With nearly 700 subscribers i could have told you people enjoy videos ;) . But for definitive information text is best for reference. If you're looking to do something written, why not do a book on expressions examples and other such things with a simple example project outlined. This type of reference material would be invaluable and even verterans like me would use it to find info fast.

As to my vote, i prefer the forum and the conversations we have about subjects.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited June 2015

@The_Gamesalad_Guru and to think...you could have made even better tutorial videos IF you had only waited for the 21.5 4k. but nooooo you had to be a big dummie and get a 27". Whatever. Enjoy your videos on that lame 27" 5 k display.

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

A full and complete listing of expression editor syntax and operators would be good :smile:

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

I'm a visual learner. Watching some one with experience and then doing it myself is the best way that I learn.

Although reading a book and following instructions provide a good pathway to understanding the fundamentals it can be cumbersome and less efficient.

In sum you don't truly begin to learn until try and fail yourself. Watching an experience user do a video tutorial is efficient and allows me to quickly begin the learning process by trying my self with a visual reference.
    Thanks to the many Advanced GS users posting videos I have been able to quickly and efficiently learn how to use GameSalad.

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912
    edited June 2015

Thanks for your tutorials and this poll @Armelline B)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited July 2015

@jamie_c said:
    I prefer a video tutorial with associated demo files.

I would add to that text tutorial with associated demo files as the illustrated guides you provided are very helpful and have their place in the forum as well.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

As a few others have suggested, I like a video with a demo file.

(I Chose video in the survey buttons before I noticed others had chosen Other and added the comment "video with a demo file".)