Ladders - A free template

ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

Something that often comes up on the forums is how to create ladders in GameSalad. I couldn't find a good tutorial or free template, so I thought I'd make one. I originally intended to do this as a video tutorial, but after trying yesterday it seems I'm still too ill to get that done. I'll hopefully come back to it later and walk through how I made this template as there are some interesting lessons learned along the way.

Anyway, here's a pretty simple way to do ladders in GameSalad. I use motion.linear.velocity x and y to move the player, but I tested it with the move and accelerate behaviours and it shouldn't be too much effort to adapt it to that if you need to.

Features:

• Drag and drop ladders wherever you want them, no extra configuration needed
  • Ladders can be placed over the top of platforms - no need to split the platform either side
  • Jump on and off ladders (easily disabled if desired)
  • Jump from one ladder to another
  • Smooth, logical feel to how they work

Two things to note:

• I added a basic jump mechanic to the player but didn't limit multiple jumps. This was partly because it was handy to be able to jump to the top of platforms when testing the template, and partly because I couldn't be bothered.
  • There appears to be a bug in GameSalad related to collision behaviours. See the "Bottom Blocker" actor. Do not remove the rule around the collision.

Comments