Armelline's Super-Easy Custom Number Fonts - FREE template - Entirely new method

ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
edited July 2015 in Working with GS (Mac)

Custom number fonts in GameSalad have always annoyed me. The laying out of the digits, the confusing mess of numbers in the constrain attributes, the penchant they have for not working right. So I set out to create a new way of doing them that avoids these problems. My aim wasn't to reduce the amount of logic involved or to make them more efficient, it was to make adding them to a new game quicker and easier.

My aims were:

1. Be able to drag the font actor from one project to another.
  2. Not need to manually change any self-attributes.
  3. Not need to add each number to the scene by hand.
  4. Not show unused numbers.
  5. Not need to create any game attributes except those to be displayed.
  6. Allow left aligned fonts as easily as right aligned fonts.

I think I've succeeded in meeting all my aims. The tradeoff is that each number needs to have two constrain attributes in order to work this easily. If your game displays a lot of numbers, this will have an impact. However, since numbers are created and destroyed as needed, when displaying fewer numbers than the maximum you're saving constrain attributes. So you start off benefiting, after a few digits it balances out, and eventually this method becomes more resource intensive.

Watch the video below for a demonstration, and download the free project file at the bottom.

Download the FREE template here!

Edit: Please note this template, and all my free templates, are free to use in personal projects (even if you sell the resulting game) but may not be used in any other templates, whether sold or given away freely.

Comments