Any brand loyalty anymore?

GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

I was talking to a young guy today he was 15 years old. He was playing a game on his iPhone and I asked him what it was. He said Agar. I asked him who made it??? And he had no clue. I said it was a company called mini clip. So I asked him if he liked that game so much would he get another one of their games? He said "No I just play games I like........."

He was also a huge Call of Duty player, spent countless hours and hundreds of dollars playing but had no idea who published the game....

I think this isn't a bad thing...... It means small indie game makers have a chance. You make a great game people want to play and they just might......

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

@gattoman,

I think a fun game is fun no matter what. To me the issue is more one of exposure. Can you fathom how many good names may be swept under the tide due to poor exposure?

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236

I don't recall having brand loyalty to a company and their games growing up. Not as a kid anyway, I only started noticing that certain companies put out games I was into by my early 20's. It doesn't feel so much like an "anymore" kind of thing as an age and interest kind of thing.

It's not like I have a brand loyalty to Universal because they released Jurassic Park, they also put out a bunch of other stuff I'm into or not into. I'm not going to go try to seek out movies by Universal because I liked one of their movies. I think it's not really that different for any other thing.

I especially don't think it's that different if you're just someone who likes to play games. A gaming nerd would be into figuring out companies and such, but just a regular user? Not so much. They'll just play whatever is fun.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

I especially don't think it's that different if you're just someone who likes to play games. A gaming nerd would be into figuring out companies and such, but just a regular user? Not so much. They'll just play whatever is fun.

You are probably right.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@owen_dennis said:
    I don't recall having brand loyalty to a company and their games growing up. Not as a kid anyway, I only started noticing that certain companies put out games I was into by my early 20's. It doesn't feel so much like an "anymore" kind of thing as an age and interest kind of thing.

I did, if Sierra or Lucas Arts put out a game I bought it. I LOVED their stuff.

Quest for Glory
    Police Quest
    Space Quest
    Kings Quest
    Gabriel Knight
    Full Throttle
    Monkey Island
    Dark Forces
    Tie Fighter
    X Wing

Such good games.

@jonmulcahy said:
    Such good games.

Aahhhhh Sierra

Leisure suit Larry!!!!!!!!

I loved Activision.

Hal 9000 is a great game. Good movie too.

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236

@jonmulcahy said:
    Such good games.

I definitely remember loving their games, but I never bought a game because it was from them, I would buy it because it sounded fun. Well, my parents would, I was too young during most of sierra's golden years. ;-)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

I'm a grumpy sod who doesn't like very much, so when I find something I do like I make note of who made it and make sure to check out what else they've done. I'll play anything made by Cyan, for example. I bought an Xbox 360 because I loved Jade Empire so much I just had to play Mass Effect.

Four of my top 10 films are by the same director. My entire music library consists of maybe 10 artists. I like what I like :P