Goodbye and thanks for nothing!

I have been active on this forum for a long time but GameSalad's new policy on dealing with the asset store, templates and their IP is just the last part in an endless story. The asset store was flawed from the start and the new dealings with GSHelper [who's management has been acting more than unprofessional on a few occasions I worked with them] is offloading the problem and limiting the users access to good and free templates.

Obviously the management of GS is not interesting in quality in it's userbase but quantity. Instead of being proud of the diversity and huge spectrum of GS templates they feel threatened by some members that use GS in a professional way. These actions are perfectly in line with the decisions made in the past and have not helped the product nor the community and even less the standing on GS among other game development tools. Thankfully there are a lot of options out there.

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I'm sorry to see you go. :( I hope you keep up your tutorials on your personal site, they are some of the best available!

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Also sorry to see you go :(
    As @jamie_c said, hope you keep your site going. It's awesome and I will be following you there :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2015

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean? I'm not big in the scene or selling things on the stores, so I've not experienced any of what you mention here, so don't really understand what you're saying. (Not defending anyone in particular, just trying to get a fuller picture.) And have found GSHelper to be helpful and responsive in the few times I've uploaded things there.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

This is exactly why i stay away from the third party stuff. Business is always a complicated thing. The whole idea of capitalism is competition is like oil to the engine that keeps everyone honest in the system. I say this as not taking any sides as really I hardly sell anything as to templates and such. This is part of a more systematic problem on the internet as Napster started this, "if it's only digital I have a right to it for free!'" And things kind of devolved from there. We clearly saw this recently with gamesalad removing the free option and the outrage. Nothing in this world is really free, it's just that someone else is paying for it. Life since the dawn of time has always been like this. Things cost something. If a commodity exists someone put in effort to retrieve it, like gold burried deep in the earth or effort to produce it, carving a bow out of a tree limb. People's time is valuable as they could be using for more profitable things or just hanging out relaxing. I always say "I can sit on my couch and not make any money so why should I do it for YOU for free."

Why I do my videos for free is becuase of a pass it on kinda idea, aka charity. I learned from people like tshirt booth and decided to repay his kindness I recieved onto others. I can choose to make a video or not, that is my choice. To demand or expect anything from anyone for nothing is a different story.

To put how generious this community is in perspective, we are all in a way competitors. In what other world do you find the best at what they do helping their competition? We could all simply say, "screw you figure it out for yourself," that one less game competing against mine.

I've been in the business world long enought to know there are personal conflicts causing this, even though I have no idea, no in the loop on any of this. It's just always how it is, period.

• SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524

@Armelline - I made several games with the owners of GSHelper and am still waiting for my money - some 2 years after - with a lot of promises and excuses. I took all my art from their store due to those reasons. While I had assets there I had no problems with the technical side or their responsiveness.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@SpriteAttack said:
    Armelline - I made several games with the owners of GSHelper and am still waiting for my money - some 2 years after - with a lot of promises and excuses. I took all my art from their store due to those reasons. While I had assets there I had no problems with the technical side or their responsiveness.

Ah well that's definitely understandable, and I hope that gets resolved.

GameSalad's new policy on dealing with the asset store, templates and their IP is just the last part in an endless story

Obviously the management of GS is not interesting in quality in it's userbase but quantity. Instead of being proud of the diversity and huge spectrum of GS templates they feel threatened by some members that use GS in a professional way.

How about these statements though? I assume this is in some way related to... competing marketplaces?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@SpriteAttack said:
    Armelline - I made several games with the owners of GSHelper and am still waiting for my money - some 2 years after - with a lot of promises and excuses. I took all my art from their store due to those reasons. While I had assets there I had no problems with the technical side or their responsiveness.

Heck they could atleast make good faith payments even if it was $10 a week. If this is true then it goes straight to a persons character.

• SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524

@Armelline - not that long ago there was a major push of GameSalad games for free to Amazon's platform without regard to copyright or authors already having posted their games on the platform - due to 'an oversight'. It's all about the sheer number of Games than the quality as a lot of the games were sub-par quality or even non-functional. It was messy and the replies I got from GS were extremely weak.

It was about old games which back in the days helped showcase what can be done in GameSalad [e.g. Bumps and ZombieDrop just to mention two of the games I worked on] but it showed yet again how much GS management is supporting it's users.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited July 2015

I appreciate you're upset @SpriteAttack. Not sure agitating here on the forums in the best course of action. Closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.