Whats happening with game salad today?

SarahbushSarahbush Member, PRO Posts: 55

Is something happening with game salad today?
Its crashing constantly -

im also really worried as its suddenly not letting me do simple rules - its messed up a game I've been working on for months and i don't know what to do! The game was working fine and i did some basic rules and now its not working at all..!!

PLEASE somebody help.....

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Do you have the latest version? If not, try updating... If you have the latest version maybe un-install and re-install.

Has anything else with you system recently changed, OS update?

• SarahbushSarahbush Member, PRO Posts: 55

I have the latest Gamesalad version - the first thing i did today was instal it.

How do i uninstall and reinstall it?

ill check to see if i need to update my mac.

thanks for the reply
    :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Sarahbush said:
    its messed up a game I've been working on for months . . . . // . . . PLEASE somebody help.....

Do you have a recent back up of your project, or are you just working on a single file ?

• SarahbushSarahbush Member, PRO Posts: 55

Im just working on a project - which I'm saving every few seconds.

i really don't know what to do - basically I've got a level system and players start on level 1 once theyve completed it it unlocks level 2 - but for some reason it when i click level 2 to play it doesn't do anything -it just makse the click noise (it was working fine)..

Also after the splash screen it now won't let you click level 2 - the only way i can is by testing it starting on the levels page..

Im so stuck with what to do :(:(:(

its soon close to completion and now it seems like its worthless

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@Sarahbush said:

This is a realllllll downfall on GS part. We come to having to save like you say...every few seconds or after every single change. I fill like it's causing me to have GameSalad OCD or something. Sometimes I save and then save again with not having even made changes.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

If you can play level 1 but not level 2 perhaps there is something causing level 2 to crash. This would likely be something you 'coded' on level 2 and nothing to do with Gamesalad Creator itself.

If that is the case you'll need to trouble shoot your level two. What changes were recently made just before it started crashing? I'd start with those edits/updates and see if you can fine the error there.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Sarahbush said:

Writing and rewriting over the same computer file, every few seconds, for months, unfortuntely pretty much guarantees you are bound to occasionally loose work to corruptions or disk errors.

Hopefully this is just a coding issue and you can rescue your project, but you really shouldn't be working this way if you want to keep your work safe !

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited August 2015

I am sorry you are having so many issues. We are looking into crashes and would like to get any steps to reproduce or any additional information you can provide us. Feel free to send us your project as well.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@BlackCloakGS I have found...although hard to pinpoint why and no way to reproduce...BUT...I can say if you open GS after a Mac restart and that cookbook message comes up....your good to go for a while...but then close a project...walk away to smoke a cig or eat....never having done a force quit or command quit from the dock icon....when you come back and open a project, you can predict it's going to crash.

Then you open GS brand new again and the cookbook message comes up it appears to be good to go, however then not only does the tabs a above stay greyed out so you can't click them....so does the play/preview button. You then have to force quit GS...open fresh and finally you are good to go for another phase of creating....just don't stop for 30 mins or you can predict another crash. Without making an hour-two hour video there's no way to even try and give proper information other than a wild paragraph I just typed let alone a crash report.

It's incredibly hard to just type "the last thing I did was insert an image". "All I did was open GS project" "I clicked save button and it crashed".

When we have a crash....what are we needing to put in comments? How can we help...exactly ?

Help us, help you...help us all (portal). Lol

• twinpixtwinpix Member Posts: 49

After not using GS Creator Mac for about a year I spent the last 10 days trying to make a game. It's been the most frustrating experience EVER with this program. It's so buggy it's just unusable. Randomly it seems that behaviors won't trigger properly (Change Scene suddenly doesn't work, grouped behaviors just stop working and have to be re-created, Rules just suddenly don't get recognized).

After all these years of using the beta versions, I would have thought the bugs would have been ironed out by now. What a shame that it seems like it's worse now than ever. Sad face.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@twinpix said:
    After not using GS Creator Mac for about a year I spent the last 10 days trying to make a game. It's been the most frustrating experience EVER with this program. It's so buggy it's just unusable. Randomly it seems that behaviors won't trigger properly (Change Scene suddenly doesn't work, grouped behaviors just stop working and have to be re-created, Rules just suddenly don't get recognized).

After all these years of using the beta versions, I would have thought the bugs would have been ironed out by now. What a shame that it seems like it's worse now than ever. Sad face.

sounds like something might be borked in the project. GS has it's fair share of issues, but I would say most people would agree that the behaviors you described are pretty reliable.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@twinpix said:

@twinpix:

Can you open a support ticket and get us as much info as possible about your machine, OS version, GS version, and publish or upload your project so we can take a look? What you're describing sounds pretty unusual and whatever it is, we'd like to find it and fix it.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• CodeMonsterCodeMonster ACT, AustraliaMember Posts: 1,078

I can also agree the creator has been quite a frustrating experience lately, actors not being able to be dragged and placed on the scene, crashes a lot, but in the end, gamesalad is still a work in progress, and like every other software out there, there will always be bugs and glitches.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@dgackey said: (edited)
    ... give basic info about your machine, OS version, GS version...

Maybe GS should make it mandatory for anyone asking for help about crashes, to supply at least these details before posting a plea for help on the Forum.