Universal Binaries

I have created my gamesalad project in Iphone 6 portrait , and just wondering if universal binaries is possible to do with iphone 6 portrait and if anyone has a method. Ive been looking around and most people have been saying that Ipad portrait was the place to start. Does this mean i need to restart my whole project and change it to Ipad portrait?

Best Answer

• colandercolander Posts: 1,610
    edited August 2015 Accepted Answer

Devices have different aspect ratios. In the platforms available in GS at one end of the aspect ratio spectrum is iPhone 6 and at the other is iPad. One of the benefits of creating your app in a larger device is it is easier to work with one of the draw backs is your images will be a lot larger which can cause problems.

It depends on the game you are creating. If you create your game on iPad and there is a lot of action and a lot of actors moving on a scene it could cause your game to crash on smaller and or older devices but it wont affect the resolution quality of your images. Creating it on a smaller device will be less processor intensive but images wont look as good. However I have found it difficult to spot the difference.

I created a game in iPhone 5 and at a latter date I started a remake with new graphics in the iPad platform . This caused crashes in some smaller and some older devices so I went back to iPhone 5. It was difficult to spot the difference in image quality on an iPad but I could see it. This would be even less noticeable using the iPhone 6 platform.

As always it is game dependent, there are a number of comprises you need to make when designing your game to work all devices as a universal binary. There is a lot more info in my signature and here is a link to my paid template http://gshelper.com/shop/gamesalad-templates/universal-binary-template/ if you want it. There is also a lot of free code and solutions available in the forums which could work for your gme just do a search for it and experiment.

Answers

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Rakim121 said:
    I have created my gamesalad project in Iphone 6 portrait , and just wondering if universal binaries is possible to do with iphone 6 portrait and if anyone has a method. Ive been looking around and most people have been saying that Ipad portrait was the place to start. Does this mean i need to restart my whole project and change it to Ipad portrait?

No, you can still use the Overscan method but you may need to go into your HUD actors (pause buttons, scores at the top of your screen, etc) and position them depending which screen the game is being played on.

Additionally, you could use the Stretch option.

Or, you could use one of these free demos:
    http://gshelper.com/product-category/free-templates-and-tutorials/universal-binaries/

• NalycanNalycan Member, PRO Posts: 96
    edited August 2015

It is best (period) to start off with an iPad project because of its big working screensize. All others give you a smaller space to work with. Later on you can use overscan or stretch method to get it working on other smaller devices. Also learn how to detect devicesizes so that you can adjust actors to each device.