100 scenes with 100 repeated actors in each scene! File size Problem!!

Hey guys, I am having an issue which i don't think concerns optimisation of rules inside each actor or anything else. I currently have about 3 scenes done already with each containing about 100 actors. But the thing is that my game runs smoothly, without any issues, but when I see the file size, it has increased to about 12mb which is way too much with only 3 scenes, and I will be doing about 100 SCENES!

I actually have about 6 actors in total with 3 movable and 3 non movable, but they are repeated multiple times on each scene, specially the non movable ones which covers about 70% of repeated actors. But I don't understand why my file size has increased to about 12mb in just 3 scenes. And the thing is, when I copy a scene the file size increases only by 200kb but whenever I rearrange those actors on the copied scene, suddenly my file size boosts to about +2mb. And I don't even have any images/animations(except for the background) setup for the actors, just boxes. I hope when I compile my file to and IPA file, and even if my gamesalad project file size is exceeding 100mb, it shouldn't be a 100mb file when I upload it to the app store, otherwise, that would be obsolete and people won't download it lol.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

File size is mostly to do with artwork, music and audio files. I'd not expect adding 97 more scenes to increase the file size too much, unless you add new graphics with each scene. That all said, you might be best off using tables to spawn the levels for your game, and using only one scene. An added bonus of doing it that way is that you can use Tiled to make the levels, and they're super-easy to make - drag and drop the actors in seconds.

• GameAlchemistGameAlchemist Member Posts: 106

Thank you @Armelline , You're always helpul :D. But just one question, wouldn't making the graphics tiled, treat them as one actor. Since I want to destroy or move the actors individually, I guess I won't be able to use Tile, or is there some other kind of tile you're talking about? Btw I've setup Payoneer, and now I'm just waiting for their approval for my Identity submission. Hopefully I'll pay you soon enough.

Hey @Armelline , I am now able to spawn everything from tables but I still have to keep the scenes due to reason you may know about the AI since you saw my file. Now the thing is I am using one spawner in every scene, and it has quite a few rules and timers for spawning each level. Currently things are working smooth but I hope everything doesn't get extremely laggy because that one spawner is spawning everything on the scene and later it's going to have about 100 rules for the levels with a timer in each rule. And I assume that the lag will only occur in the beginning and hopefully it won't crash. If you have any more suggestion, the please let me know, otherwise I think I will be fine. Thanks.

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

@Armelline - Does GameSalad support Tiled levels?

@ookami007 said:
    Armelline - Does GameSalad support Tiled levels?

Not directly, but Tiled can export to CSV. I've made several games whose levels are made using Tiled. Saves a ton of time.

@GameAlchemist said:
    Hey Armelline , I am now able to spawn everything from tables but I still have to keep the scenes due to reason you may know about the AI since you saw my file. Now the thing is I am using one spawner in every scene, and it has quite a few rules and timers for spawning each level. Currently things are working smooth but I hope everything doesn't get extremely laggy because that one spawner is spawning everything on the scene and later it's going to have about 100 rules for the levels with a timer in each rule. And I assume that the lag will only occur in the beginning and hopefully it won't crash. If you have any more suggestion, the please let me know, otherwise I think I will be fine. Thanks.

Sorry, missed this last night. I'm not clear on why the AI forces you to keep your game on different scenes.

As for lag, the scene will take a second or two to generate at the start, but after that there should be no difference between spawning and pre-placing the scene.

Ok. Now I have quite a few scenes ready, but still even though I am spawning everything from one spawner, and through tables, the file size keeps increasing way too much. And I have realised what the problem is but don't know the solution:
    1. Whenever I make a new scene, file only increases by 200kb(Not a problem)
    2. When I create a new table, nothing happens.
    3. BUT, whenever I tweak the Spawner(this thing is handling all the scenes, and what to spawn when) to call upon the spawning positions for each actor, The file size increases by 2mb, which is insane for only one level.

And because of all this when I finish my game, I am guessing my game size will be around 160mb. And I don't even have the images for actors yet.

Btw, I am using "Collisions With Tables" from deepblueapps as a source to spawn all actors for a scene.