Community run Game of the Month Contest?

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554
edited September 2015 in Announce Your Game!

Hello everyone! As many of you have noticed, there's been a lack of GOTM threads these past months. This has been due to us being very busy making GameSalad a more awesome tool for you guys. We would love to keep the GOTM contest running so that you guys can show off what great games you've thrown together though!

It's been suggest by a few users that we put together a panel of GameSalad users to run future GOTM contests and serve as judges in deciding a winner. So the big question is, would any of you guys be interested in being panel members? If so, feel free to say so in a comment below or shoot me a PM!

We're currently thinking of having a group of 3 community members on the panel alongside 2 GameSalad staff members to bring the total number of judges to 5.

We would also love for someone to continue doing the interviews with the GOTM winners, so if anyone is interested in interviewing the developers that win the GOTM contest feel free to shoot me a PM as well. If nobody is interested, we'll just do the media posts.

Have any suggestions or questions about how this new GOTM contest will work? Ask away!

(Note: Any panel members would be unable to submit games created by themselves for obvious reasons)

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I'd love to see the return of GOTM! I would be willing to help in any way that I can!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Due to my involvement with various projects each month I don't think I can really serve on a panel, but I'd be happy to help with organising things/making posts/interviewing winners and things. Anything I can do to help, let me know!

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

I'll give the game of the month winner $30 thru paypal, which is equivalent to a month of PRO.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited September 2015

I am willing to be on the panel.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I'd be willing to be on the panel as well.

From the experience of the past panel, how much time does it eat up? And how would it work with people being distant from each other? I can easily imagine it with a group of people in one room, talking about the different games to make a decision, but that is a lot more complicated over the internet (personal experience from a film festival panel), and can descend into a simple "cast your votes and let's see who get the most points," without any discussion among the panel members themselves about the plusses and minuses of the games. Sometimes there might be a clear winner, but in other cases, not so much, and group discussion is a necessity.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
  • sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

This sounds like an awesome thing to do! Made me happy, though Im not in a position right now to help in any way, Im afraid.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

Yep great idea, let the community run these things and shift resources to GS dev.
    There are plenty of vets to run GOTM.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

These were always fun.

Good moral boost and disstraction. I don't think it would consume too much time. I am by no means a veteran but could help or fill in if needed. Could be persuaded to throw in some money (credit) in the market place? But with prizes comes politics and constant complaining......

Rethinking... maybe no prizes or small enough people wouldn't fight over it. Just for the glory and prestige of winning......!!!!!!!!!

There was usually 20 entries or so? I guess it would take a bit of time each month....

• cbtcbt Member Posts: 644

I want TOTB back :)

And @quantumsheep back, I miss that fella.

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

We are creating a simple game, let us come and try if you guys organizing :) Yes we want that $30 support :smiley:

• How can I join this contest?

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Great idea! :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I don't really have the time to sit on the judge panel but if this gets going and there is any desire for it I'd be more than happy to offer free coupons to my Udemy Gamesalad class and free PDF copies of my book as prizes/gifts to the winners.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@ramonguerra85 said:
    How can I join this contest?

Contest has not started yet. They will post when and how to enter if it gets going.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554
    edited September 2015

@pHghost Very good questions!

how much time does it eat up?

I'm not 100% sure how much time it would eat up on average. It could vary quite a bit based off of the submissions each month. I know that some of the GOTM winners were tough to choose in the past!

The main parts that would take up a panelist's time are:

1. Keeping track of the GOTM submissions / previewing them.
    2. Chatting with the other panelist's to determine which game should be the winner.

What I found to take the most time was interviewing the winners / creating the blog post.

how would it work with people being distant from each other?

There's a few ways we could work this out. My ideal choice would be to provide you guys with a Slack channel to converse in, so that the Gamesalad staff panelists could easily chime in as well.

Sometimes there might be a clear winner, but in other cases, not so much, and group discussion is a necessity.

I think that having a short discussion period before casting votes would be good idea in general. That way everyone would get a chance to give their opinions. We've also put together some criteria to use to judge the GOTM submissions.

@Lovejoy That's very kind of you! I'm not against the idea of a free month of Pro being awarded to the GOTM winner, you don't need to pay for it :)

Also, thank you to the panelist volunteers! I'll pm you guys in the not too distant future.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@ForumNinja said:
    My ideal choice would be to provide you guys with a Slack channel to converse in

Sounds good. Discussion is really important, even if it's just each panelist sharing a couple reasons why a particular game is their candidate of choice.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@ForumNinja said:
    @Lovejoy That's very kind of you! I'm not against the idea of a free month of Pro being awarded to the GOTM winner, you don't need to pay for it :)

Ok, well just let me know whatever you decide to go with, i don't mind either way.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

:-) I will work hard on my game

• IsaacPhoenixIsaacPhoenix Member, PRO Posts: 15

I am very interested in this, however depending on how many people we have it may be better to have more than three people. If enough people are interested we could have several rounds or judging. Even a youtube channel that would allow others to garnish their own opinions and then help the winner market their game. Just a thought but I would love to be a part of the panel as well.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@ForumNinja , I would love to help out on the panel.

These GOTM's are great for the community, healthy competition and inspiration, not to mention a ton fun!

I would miss not entering myself though! :)

• ncarlson29ncarlson29 Member Posts: 17

As someone who is new, this sounds great!