State of GameSalad on 9/19/2015

2»

Comments

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@GameAlchemist

I am quite certain that Graphene will not see the light of day in 2015. :)

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• TitanFuryTitanFury Member Posts: 55

Why can't you just add new game features instead of focusing on all of this tutorial stuff? The creator is missing a BUNCH of crucial features (it doesn't even have a finger swipe option....) that need to be incorporated into it in order to make it worth the money you're asking. The truth is brutal, but it must be said.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257
    edited October 2015

@TitanFury I think their goal may be to get more people used to using Game Salad and building habits around it. That should get more potential buyers through the showroom and into the sales office. Right now they occupy a good space with no competition. Other simple kits can't publish. Other kits that can publish aren't simple. If they want people to find the value in the kit, they need to show them that and it will require a strong learning path.

That said, the changelog still shows a lot of non-tutorial stuff they're working on anyways. There's been more and bigger changes outside the tutorials than in them. The stand-alone HTML5 publish route is massive, and its their second publishing-related update in a month or two (the botox injection being the other). They talk about the shift to learning a lot, but by their actions they're still investing a lot in expanding the kit, possibly more than onto the tutorials and learning.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@TitanFury said:
    ... (it doesn't even have a finger swipe option....)

If you mean swipe to change scenes or flip pages by that, then it can already be done.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@TitanFury said:
    Why can't you just add new game features instead of focusing on all of this tutorial stuff? The creator is missing a BUNCH of crucial features.

It's a business. It seems they are trying to make GS more profitable. New users means new money. We all want GS to succeed. If these "crucial features" were cheap and easy to add they would done so years ago.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

First gamesalad isn't making the content, myself and @Braydon_SFX , @jamie_c are providing the lions share of the content for this. It's a fairly straight forward implementation of a window with embedded content in association with the academy. This is not taking resources away from normal development. As @codewizard has said they are debugging and working on loading times et.. Don't expect to see any major features this year. They are finally focusing on making the software solid before making major changes. You can't keep ignoring the problems and adding stuff. Ultimately gamesalad need users aka new users to keep going. Yes, they need to keep their current users but we need to understand a feature is not a ten minute thing. I constantly see people post a feature request and then add this would be simple. How do you even know how simple it is? The truth is you have no Idea. So can we stop with that kind of conjecture?

I for one am very pleased with the stability advances in recent months and the roll out of HTML 5 publishing which gives you a way to make money by creating client content. Some of us on here are helping to free the staff to do their coding magic and help more to provide community services. A group of users provide most all of the tutorials and moderate the forums and are now doing the game of the month contest.

If we all spent more time helping the community and less complaining we could make more progress. In my point of view there are more takers around here than givers.

• GameAlchemistGameAlchemist Member Posts: 106

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    This is not taking resources away from normal development. As codewizard has said they are debugging and working on loading times et..

Good to know they are working on loading times. Hopefully I'll be able to change scenes on the fly without restricting myself to a one scene game :D

• turnerlevey@verizon.netturnerlevey@verizon.net Member, PRO Posts: 1

When will version 0.14.0 be out?

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483
    edited October 2015

@CodeWizard one month completed ..is the any updates on state of gamesalad and road map.Any updates on Load time and scene change loading time,in the next update? please please please...very important in kids apps...

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Creator has been working excellent for me lately...regardless of build.

According to latest "State of GameSalad" I undestand crashes getting reduced to less than 5% must be a task taking a good amount of time.

For once I can say I believe the Staff are on the right track...silience ? I think they have made most of their intensions pretty clear and do not require to much elaboration. Stabilty and fixes.

I give em 2 thumbs up for now :-).

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2015

@Thunder_Child said:
    Creator has been working excellent for me lately...regardless of build.

According to latest "State of GameSalad" I undestand crashes getting reduced to less than 5% must be a task taking a good amount of time.

For once I can say I believe the Staff are on the right track...silience ? I think they have made most of their intensions pretty clear and do not require to much elaboration. Stabilty and fixes.

I give em 2 thumbs up for now :-).

If that's the case you're lucky because others like me are seeing more crashes than before. And they seem to get more with every update as Creator performance seems to get worse with every update.

I also don't think that they've made their intentions clear at all and they need to elaborate very much. As a mobile developer I want to know if there'll be a point in the near future at which I can make games that are competively viable on the market. I know that good games can be made with GameSalad and that ads can be shown. But our games have insane loading times, no system for leaderboards and achievements on Android and no support for rewarded ads. Tell that any professional game developer who doesn't already know GameSalad and he'll burst out laughing.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@Hoodloc said:
    I also don't think that they've made their intentions clear at all and they need to elaborate very much. As a mobile developer I want to know if there'll be a point in the near future at which I can make games that are competively viable on the market. I know that good games can be made with GameSalad and that ads can be shown. But our games have insane loading times, no system for leaderboards and achievements on Android and no support for rewarded ads. Tell that any professional game developer who doesn't already know GameSalad and he'll burst out laughing.

I'm still using build 13.33. I get few crashes and acceptable loading times.
    I don't speak for GS but if you have been around here long enough you already know your answer. There is a lot of feature requests that will not be seen in near future.

edited October 2015

@Hoodloc said:

I did have one crash last night. I have been exremely busy lately so there is quite a chance Im just not seeing it. Hope everyone gets what they are looking for out of GS soon. I have about 8 games in adhoc right now and although they do have loading times...thry dont seem to be terribly expessive. Since I came to GS there has always been loading times. Its true I see many games on the market they dont seem to have any at all. Its the only creator I have experience with so I may not be very good barometer to judge certain aspects of how the creator.

Also I only have ever used iAds so again Im not familiar with what we should or shouldnt have...

Sorry to seem all in with GS :-). Just happy with certain changes of late.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Thunder_Child said:
    Also I only have ever used iAds

Take the plunge and start using chartboost, you are missing out on good money if you are only limiting yourself to iAds.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Lovejoy said:
    Take the plunge and start using chartboost, you are missing out on good money if you are only limiting yourself to iAds.

Ok. You have never failed me yet...Im on it ! :)

• ChechesoftChechesoft Member, PRO Posts: 171

@TitanFury said:
    Why can't you just add new game features instead of focusing on all of this tutorial stuff? The creator is missing a BUNCH of crucial features (it doesn't even have a finger swipe option....) that need to be incorporated into it in order to make it worth the money you're asking. The truth is brutal, but it must be said.

Finger swipe?? There are lots of tutorials about it..., but yeah, you don't want them...

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Thunder_Child said:
    Ok. You have never failed me yet...Im on it ! :)

I don't deal too much with my own personal project, but even so its still a good amount of pocket change every month.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited October 2015

Not sure where is best to bring up this question again but does anyone from the GS staff have any updates on the loading time issues experienced in the recent creator builds? doesn't seem like this has been addressed this month

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but I was wondering:

How hard would it be for gamesalad to have actors that could be used as masks! Ie, like they work in illustrator etc, also using the alpha channel! Potentially could be great instead of using layers with better results because of the alpha channel usage?

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451

Can we please get a weekly or fortnightly state of GameSalad post going again guys? Its starting to get very annoying being kept in the dark! Even an updated roadmap would be good right now.