In-game currency vs "simple" IAP?

Hi,

I am wondering if I should "implement" an in-game currency or just "simple" iap. For example, should players be able to buy(iap) "IG gold" to buy new games or directly buy new games?

What are your experiences about it? What do you think about it?

Tks,

Stéphane.

Comments

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

i prefer to sell in-apps for real money instead of having a currency
    but if you want to sell a lot of things currency makes it much easier for you to setup

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

Ideally, you may benefit the most from having both. Say for example, you could have a simple IAP of $4.99 to unlock a permanent "Double IG Gold From Treasure Chests" bonus, and you could have a $4.99 IG Gold Pack worth five hours worth of farming treasure chests. Then you have something that appeals to the people who are value-oriented and the people who are convenience-oriented.

But you definitely always want to have a consumable IAP in there somewhere if you're going freemium. Then if you have a superfan who just wants to unleash mass support onto your game they have a way to do that. Some people are millionaires who spend thousands on their hobbies, you should try to make space for them since it'll pay for the updates for free players.

Similarly, my own habit with freemium games is to spend ten bucks every 40 hours I play. Simple unlocks put an end to that quickly. It makes a maximum amount of support I can show.

• Agent ArgyleAgent Argyle Member, PRO Posts: 188

One thing to be aware of is that you cannot use consumable IAPs like in app currency to pay for non-consumables like permanent upgrades in iOS. So if you do have an in-app currency, you should use it to buy consumable items like extra lives or power-ups.

• lotte205lotte205 Tallinn, EstoniaMember, PRO Posts: 41

@Agent Argyle why can't I buy non-consumables with in-app currency, extra characters for example?