game logic test

EldonRougeEldonRouge Member, PRO Posts: 14

I didn't know where else to post this... i'm looking for some feedback please.

I can solve the easy lvl in about 15 clicks or less.... i cannot easily solve medium or hard.

Currently, all lights are set to random... to i need to set them to a specific orientation that i know is solvable?

thank you for your input!

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/133461

Comments

• kobayaashikobayaashi Member, PRO Posts: 143

Hi @EldonRouge. I just had fun playing the medium level - on one occasion I managed to turn all the lights off, but no joy on turning them all on! :smile:

I think that if a puzzle is presented to a player to solve, then there should actually be a solution, else it's not a challenge but an imposible and frustrating experience. If it were me, I'd find my solution, and work backwards to work out the initial configuration to offer.

That's not to say that people still won't tear their hair out if they can't find the solution, but at least you'd know that there WAS a solution to begin with! :smile:

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2015

@kobayaashi said:
    If it were me, I'd find my solution, and work backwards to work out the initial configuration to offer.

Agreed, set all the lights on (the solution) then automate (unseen by the player - and instant) a number of random clicks . . . in fact you can introduce levels of complexity (beyond easy / medium / hard) by the number of automated random clicks used when setting up the level . . . so whereas 1 automated random click would come with an obvious solution, 7 automated random clicks would be less easy to solve.

This is not unlike setting a Rubik's cube, start with the solved cube and give it a few twists to mess it up.

• LucasJG1994LucasJG1994 Member Posts: 28

It's a nice game, I just played it in hard mode and found I couldn't progress any further once three lights were left to be turned on.

It's a good game but needs to have a solution. Keep on making these games and you'll become a master in no time. ;)

edited October 2015

The easy and medium levels I was able to solve, so it's just the hard level.

• EldonRougeEldonRouge Member, PRO Posts: 14

Thank you for the feedback!!!

I do intend to have a series of levels with preselected patterns, and wanted to include an ongoing as well. But I feared being totally random was going to be too hard.

I had considered starting with a win screen, and automating a series of random clicks in the background so the puzzle is truly solvable given how the game works. I will do exactly that.

Much appreciated!

@EldonRouge No problem, but if I may suggest concerning the difficulty that you can add more square of lights around the puzzle making it slightly bigger and intimidating. Plus try using different shapes too.

Also about the clicks, why not put a leader-board that shows those who solved your puzzle with little clicks. Just an idea.

• EldonRougeEldonRouge Member, PRO Posts: 14

@LucasJG1994 thank you! i was considering doing a leaderboard, but haven't looked into that yet...

(I'm still following Thunder_Child's tutorial on publishing for itunes, for my first completed app)