Windows Creator 1.0.5760.38782 is now available!

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

If you're already using 1.0 then you don't really have to do anything to get this build. It just magically updates, you know?

If you aren't using this build, shame on you! Go get it here: http://deploy.gamesalad.com/GetGameSalad.exe

Changes:

• Updated publishing binaries to match latest engine release.
  • Reworked how we upload symbols and source file linkage to our debugging servers. This means we'll be even faster at isolating crashes and issues when they occur.
  • Removed beta artwork from about screen.
  • Fixed a rare crash when the login server was acting a fool.
  • Added crash detection to native preview. Now, in the unlikely event that preview craps out on you, you'll get a handy message telling you it's dead. Simply go back to the editor and preview again to continue.
  • A few native preview fixes for occasional crashes. :smiley:
  • Updated our code signing certificate for GetGameSalad! and Launcher to use extended validation.
  • Enabled detailed log file generation during GetGameSalad to help debug some issues for some folks. If you run into any odd errors running GetGameSalad then send your GetGameSalad.log file in to support for some review. That file sits right alongside GetGameSalad.
  • Fixed a bug related to touch count incrementing but never decrementing in preview.

P.S. If you're wondering about our version scheme, here's how it works: 1.0 is the main version. The third number is how many days have elapsed since 1/1/2000. The fourth number is how many seconds have elapsed in that day divided by 2. So, in essence, it's a pretty darn precise measure of when we built. Man, we're nerds!

Comments

• Machinist AppsMachinist Apps Member, PRO Posts: 65

No mention of back button support? Dude, don't leave me hangin!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Plucked Studios Yeah, all the engine changes available on Mac are here too. :)

Sweet! Thank you :smiley:

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@CodeWizard said:
    Yeah, all the engine changes available on Mac are here too.

Is that a convoluted way of telling us that there is a Mac Creator 1.0? :o

Many of us don't read the Windows Creator releases because we're not interested, so we'd not find out for a while if you don't announce this separately. ;)

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

Mac and Windows Creator share the underlying engine code which is used for native preview on Windows and both preview and project loading on the Mac. This is the same engine that's used when you publish to an iOS or Android device, use the viewers, etc.

So, if we call something out specifically in the Windows release notes about Windows Creator it might be something Windows specific like adding the popups for in-app purchases, or something shared that I can't think of a recent example for, but ideally shared things will be in both Windows and Mac release notes.

When we talk about publishing fixes like the recent Android changes or iOS 9 support then that's available for anything published to those devices using either Windows or Mac Creator.

Essentially once you publish your project it doesn't really matter what you used to make the project, it all goes to the same place.

Does that make any more sense?

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

Is there any way to change where it actually installs? I don't like installing anything on my main Windows drive. Its a habit I picked up after getting Vista and the endless blue screens, re-installs that followed! lol

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797
    edited October 2015

Awesome! Can you guys change the trial time to how much you use instead of just signing in then losing a day?

• NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2015

How do we turn off this automatic updating? Here in a school lab the laptops are using deep freeze, so every time the computers reboot it will revert back to whatever version was installed during the deep freeze, so updates have to be manual. I'm concerned that a project made in say 1.0.5xxxx.4xxx might have issues if it's brought into an older version like 1.0.5xxxxx.3xxxxx. I have the Automatically Check for Updates button unchecked, but it still appears to be downloading and patching.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@jdlcrater said:
    Awesome! Can you guys change the trial time to how much you use instead of just signing in then losing a day?

You shouldn't "lose" a day of trial unless you've used the tool for 15 minutes or more in a day, AFAIK.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

@dgackey said:
    You shouldn't "lose" a day of trial unless you've used the tool for 15 minutes or more in a day, AFAIK.

I did not know this. Thanks Mr. @dgackey ! What is AFAIK?

@jdlcrater said:
    I did not know this. Thanks Mr. dgackey ! What is AFAIK?

@dgackey

Please tell us, what is that acronym?

Everything I try to translate it to is not nice.

Maybe that's just my mind. >:)

I still think you guys should make it timed instead of day-ed(?).

@PhilipCC It is: As far as I know

edited October 2015

@jdlcrater said:
    PhilipCC It is: As far as I know

Thanks, you're better than Google or Wikipedia. ;)

More trivia, acronymfinder also suggested: As for all I know

@PhilipCC said:
    Thanks, you're better than Google or Wikipedia. ;)

More trivia, acronymfinder also suggested: As for all I know

lol I used Google and Wiki

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited October 2015

I don't want to say anything, since mines is a rare case, although the new Windows Creator is extremely fast and rarely crashes if at all, since the normal preview never worked for me, I depended on html preview all this time, which is disabled now, so it's a bit incovenient for me since I have no way to test quick changes and have to upload to arcade for testing, as when I get the 400 bad request while trying to upload, I have no way to test things. :|

I guess it's time to find a video card in a few days, I assembled this computer from cheap parts and purposely omitted a video card to cut costs and depended on the cpu instead since it was originally made for making digital art work, which didn't require much power. Anyway, lack of a real video card is the reason why I never could get normal preview to work. :#

EDIT: For now, I'll use 13.40, until I get the gpu upgrade. Although, it's a bit odd that 1.0.0 doesn't want to co-exist with any other GS versions like how nightlies and stables use to, as it eats them(uninstalls other ver.) everytime I run it. o _0

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Franto We'll push a build with an option that lets you run native preview without being embedded in the main window. We should also get web preview running again. :)

@CodeWizard Thank you, much appreciated! :)

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@CodeWizard When will we see some of the improvements from the Windows version migrating over to the Mac version? Sounds like load times and performance is getting better on PC, but recently got much worse on the Mac Creator. Myself, @Armelline, @Kirafu and others have expressed concerns about no response about the Mac problems we are experiencing. Can you please address slower load times and lower performance on AdHoc builds with the Mac version along with the memory leaks slowing down the Mac Creator again?

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2015

I would like to give a big thanks for all of the work on stablizing the windows client. I am experiencing dramatically less crashes than before. I've noticed that deleting an actor off a scene has a chance of crashing if GS is already low on memory.

I'd like to ask, are there any plans to work on optimizing the windows client? I find that any time I start getting deep into a game, actors or scenes with alot of coding tend to lag bad. It seems there may be a memory leak because I will have to close Gamesalad its lagging so bad and reopen to continue. The more complex the actors are that im working with, the quicker the lag returns.

I see the buzz behavior has been added to the windows creator but I'm unable to get it to work on my android app. Does this behavior work on android devices?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@Plucked Studios yes it should work on android devices

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Plucked Studios yes it should work on android devices

YAY! Did not see this!

I finally got this installed, and with my upgraded computer, can finally use Native preview, and it's quite incredible and loads much faster than html5 preview ever did. Mouse somehow doesn't activate touch buttons, but my game's actions are covered in the keyboard anyway, which works, so I'm able to test my game. : ) Great performance with the creator.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Franto said:
    Mouse somehow doesn't activate touch buttons

Hmm, it should work. Anything special about what you're doing? Weird resolution?

If you want to send me a project or a publish link I can take a look.

@GeorgeGS My "mouse" is actually a wacom intuos 3 tablet pen, would that affect the touch behaviors in native preview? {It worked in html5 preview}. It might be the resolution as you suggested, I will send the project.