I found a way to solve the 0.13.4x poor performance.

kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314

I found a way to solve the 0.13.4x poor performance,
if your game FPS drop on 0.13.4x,
but smooth on 0.13.3x,
you can try this.

I go back to use 0.13.33 , publish game to gamesalad server,
so this game engine is 0.13.33.

then,
use 0.13.47 download and sign game from gs server,
I found this way can be performance is great!!!!

now FPS always be 60 on iPad2 and iPod touch 5 !!!!!
It is amazing!

Provided for your reference,about FPS performance drop solutions.

my game "Roll Turtle" use this way,
now recovery FPS 60 run on iPad2 and iPhone 4s,
They are both iOS9,
Perfectly smooth running, has a lot of particle effects :)

Comments

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

I will try this out! :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Nice idea. For me I don't worry about going back that far supporting devices. Apple has such a high adoption rate, I'm not sure the extra work returns enough reward.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

@Lost_Oasis_Games Neat! Does Localytics have one of those for Droid? I went to their site and at a glance it all seems to be behind paywall.

Probably the cross-over point for where something like @kirafu 's fix would start having tangible value is around the 10k installs mark. Then you're looking at over 1000 people on iPhone 4/4S. They would be having a real presence in the store ratings since they would account for 10%ish of users posted reviews complaining about performance. Might be the difference of half a star, and the retention of a few hundred users.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Moik said:
    They would be having a real presence in the store ratings since they would account for 10%ish of users posted reviews complaining about performance.

People tend to complain more than they do praise, so (completely made up figures) imagine 100 were happy with a product and 100 unhappy, you might get 40 or 50 of the unhappy group posting a negative review, but maybe as few as 5-10 of the happy group posting a positive review - it's the same dynamic you see in forums, people will post to say "X is broken, help !", but less people will log in to post "Everything is working fine" - so all these kinds of public forums tend to overrepresent negatives.

So, I'd imagine the 10% of 4/4s users would be overrepresented if they had an unhappy experience.

But, luckily two other factors are likely to play into this, the 4/4s has been around for such a long time that I expect users are now long aware that their model is drifting out of reach of the latest games - and are used to new games not performing great. The other factor is that owners of older phones tend to download less apps than owners of newer models (there is supporting evidence for this somewhere, I forget where right now), which means the phone model uptake chart above won't directly translate into viable app customers, the percentages will be skewed towards newer models, so although 4/4s owners might make up around 10% of iPhone users, they might only make up 3-4% of potential customers.

@Socks said:
    The other factor is that owners of older phones tend to download less apps than owners of newer models (there is supporting evidence for this somewhere, I forget where right now),

Makes sense to me. Probably the older phones are likely closer to full and their long-time owners are now more stingy with their space/more discriminating since they would need to delete something. Dropping potential installs to 3-4% makes sense to me.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Moik said:

If your phone is that old it's likely the income isn't there. I agree with @socks which is why I believe the return isn't there.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

Agreed. You can also check adoption insights via https://mixpanel.com/trends/

I know people that still own the old iPhones and none of them are gamers. They all simply use their phone to make calls, check emails, gps etc so as everyone has mentioned it probably isn't worth the effort to support those old models.

I just plan to put in my description which models are compatible, and now that we can detect what phone players are using, I may even have a notification pop up telling those who have old models that the game old supports device x and above and to email me for support (hopefully deterring them from leaving a negative review)

@supafly129 Excellent link! Probably the simplest data reporting I've encountered.

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314

great report!

I think there are still a lot of people have iPad2,
    like me,I have iPad2 and iPad mini2,
    and there are 90% game is run perfect on iPad2,
    if iPad2 run perfect, iPad air or air 2 absolutely perfect.

there are the number of reports about iPad?

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Yup. I'm using 13.33 build for now. It's a decent build. (Not perfect) Went from 12.20. That was a gold build!