Double Image Size?

Just looked through the image tutorial and didn't see it mentioned. We used to have to double our image size to accommodate retina display. Do we still need to do that? In other words the background for a iPad would be 1536 X 2048.

Rich

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2015

Yep, a GameSalad iPad project is 1024 x 768, the actual resolution of the screen (the physical pixels on the device) is 2048 x 1536 pixels.

• richcoyrichcoy Member Posts: 211

@Socks, thanks just wanted to confirm before I got too far. I took a year off from GameSalad and I feel really rusty. lol.

@richcoy said:
    Socks, thanks just wanted to confirm before I got too far. I took a year off from GameSalad and I feel really rusty. lol.

Always best check before diving in ! :)

Basically nothing's changed in that regard since last year, with an iPad project you still make your image assets twice the size of your actors - the only exception to this general rule is with the iPhone 6+ where you work at a third of the final resolution so your image assets would (ideally) be x3 rather than x2.

@Socks, but if I'm making a universal app aren't the images used across all the devises?

edited October 2015

@richcoy said:
    Socks, but if I'm making a universal app aren't the images used across all the devises?

It's not clear what you are saying here (to me at least), yoru use of the word 'but' suggests you've spotted an issue, but have not said what it is ?

@Socks, your statement that iPhone 6+ was 3x made me think you were saying that it was a separate set of images. I guess by your reply that is not the case. :)

edited October 2015

@richcoy said:
    Socks, your statement that iPhone 6+ was 3x made me think you were saying that it was a separate set of images.

I didn't intend to suggest that, I was just pointing out that the x2 asset size is not universal rule, there is the exception of the iPhone 6+.

@richcoy said:
    I guess by your reply that is not the case. :)

Too much guessing for me ! :smile: I've made no comment either way.

• gokchgokch Member, PRO Posts: 2

Hi @richcoy @Socks,

I am new at this GS and trying to figure out the optimum way of making apps for all possible platforms. I could not get whether
    i) I should import x3 of the actor sizes and use it for all platforms or
    ii) I should import x3 for iPhone 6+ and x2 for others seperately

or I got everything wrong, and there is another option there :smile:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Most people use 2x the image size and that is fine.

• gokchgokch Member, PRO Posts: 2

@Lost_Oasis_Games thank you for the quick reply :smile: