Two questions, text color and new line for display text?

SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797
edited November 2015 in Working with GS (PC)

Hey,

How do we define custom colors for text on Windows? I can't seem to be able to do this. I am on 1.23.5772.31308 Windows 10 GameSalad Creator. Also, how do I add a new line of text with "\n" in the display text?

Comments

• NicrisNicris Member Posts: 34

I wonder the same thing. This didn't used to happen, but the "Define Custom Colors" button is grayed out for scenes and actors. Sounds like a bug, can a dev confirm and let us know when this will be fixed?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited November 2015

A new line can be added two ways (I use a Mac so forgive me if either of these don't work for you):

1) Add "\n" to the text expression by concatenating it with two periods (..). For example, the Display Text expression "first line".."\n".."second line" should appear as:

first line
    second line

2) Press alt+enter (on a Mac, option+return) to create a new line within the expression editor. So it would look like this in the editor:

first line [invisible alt+enter newline character]
    second line

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

@tataing. Neither of those work. Thanks though!

• Perritech BetaPerritech Beta Member, PRO Posts: 14

I didn't try a new line, but do you have any info about custom colors not working?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

@jdlcrater said:

If neither of those work there's something you're not telling us, as both of those work :D

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Armelline said:

@jdlcrater said:

If neither of those work there's something you're not telling us, as both of those work :D

They may work on the Mac, but Windows is different. There is no support for line breaks at the moment because there really isn't a good platform agnostic way to do it. Windows uses a different line ending character than the Mac/Devices and the way the text is laid out is also different. I agree it would be a useful thing to have, but not a quick fix unfortunately.

Allowing you to create/choose custom colors in the picker isn't that difficult, but making them persist would take some time. It's on my list of tings to worry about. :)

edited November 2015

@GeorgeGS said:

@Armelline said:

@jdlcrater said:

They may work on the Mac, but Windows is different. There is no support for line breaks at the moment because there really isn't a good platform agnostic way to do it. Windows uses a different line ending character than the Mac/Devices and the way the text is laid out is also different. I agree it would be a useful thing to have, but not a quick fix unfortunately.

Allowing you to create/choose custom colors in the picker isn't that difficult, but making them persist would take some time. It's on my list of tings to worry about. :)

Since Windows GS used to be able to define custom colors in an earlier release (0.13.x), do you mean this is indeed a bug that isn't difficult to fix?

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

@Armelline said:

They don't work because I'm on Windows :D . I put them in just like @tatiang said to. @GeorgeGS I hope you can work on this soon. It is really bugging me.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

@GeorgeGS said:

I just got schooled!

edited December 2015

Since we haven't heard otherwise from a dev, I put in a bug for this issue that you can vote on here.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1489

@jdlcrater said:

@Armelline said:

They don't work because I'm on Windows :D . I put them in just like @tatiang said to. @GeorgeGS I hope you can work on this soon. It is really bugging me.

Agreed - being restricted to the basic colors is a rough one.