GameSalad game and Ketchapp publisher (Or why we had to choose another game engine)

2»

Comments

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2015

@izam said:
    @Clock yes right now we need incentivised ads in GS. But like what @BaDDApple said, 1 step forward 2 steps back. Its going to be a long wait. By the time GS comes around to supporting it, incentivised ads would most likely have moved on.

I have to agree with you here, it's like we get these features added way too late every time! And where is our state of GameSalad posts gone? Even a clear roadmap is no where to be seen! The communication from the new guys is worse than previous staff, no one seems to want to tell us what's being worked on other the fixing bugs! While I have to say the work they are doing fixing bugs is fantastic and I must give them credit for that at least, but being kept in the dark is enough to drive customers away! Sorry guys but ye really need to start adding some decent feature, full social network integration, decent ad services, custom fonts, ability to add our own scripts just to name a few!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@EireStudios said:
    Sorry guys but ye really need to start adding some decent feature, full social network integration, decent ad services, custom fonts, ability to add our own scripts just to name a few!

Beside the numerous bug fixes, the last few weeks have brought HTML5 authoring, polygonal/custom collisions and an app store based GameSalad Viewer (Google Play already up, Amazon/iTunes on the way) . . . this is better than I could ever even have imagined a year or two ago when progress was glacial.

If GameSalad had added social network integration, new ad services and custom fonts over past few weeks then someone would be posting:

Sorry guys but ye really need to start adding some decent features, HTML5 authoring, polygonal/custom collisions, an app store based GameSalad Viewer just to name a few!

The problem here is that everyone has differing needs, this thread is wanting an emphasis on ad networks, elsewhere there's a thread where sounds via expression are deemed vital for the very survival of the company :p elsewhere there's another thread puzzled as to why GS are not heads-down working on an integrated custom collision shape editor so we don't have to open one of the 3rd party apps, etc etc, my personal preference would be to put everything on hold and sort out a few of the major UI/UX issues in Creator that make the workflow much slower than it could be.

(Don't get me wrong everything suggested in this thread is good, I'd love to see it all (especially reward videos))

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451

@Socks said:

@EireStudios said:
    Sorry guys but ye really need to start adding some decent feature, full social network integration, decent ad services, custom fonts, ability to add our own scripts just to name a few!

Beside the numerous bug fixes, the last few weeks have brought HTML5 authoring, polygonal/custom collisions and an app store based GameSalad Viewer (Google Play already up, Amazon/iTunes on the way) . . . this is better than I could ever even have imagined a year or two ago when progress was glacial.

If GameSalad had added social network integration, new ad services and custom fonts over past few weeks then someone would be posting:

Sorry guys but ye really need to start adding some decent features, HTML5 authoring, polygonal/custom collisions, an app store based GameSalad Viewer just to name a few!

The problem here is that everyone has differing needs, this thread is wanting an emphasis on ad networks, elsewhere there's a thread where sounds via expression are deemed vital for the very survival of the company :p elsewhere there's another thread puzzled as to why GS are not heads-down working on an integrated custom collision shape editor so we don't have to open one of the 3rd party apps, etc etc, my personal preference would be to put everything on hold and sort out a few of the major UI/UX issues in Creator that make the workflow much slower than it could be.

(Don't get me wrong everything suggested in this thread is good, I'd love to see it all (especially reward videos))

Ya you have some very valid points there bud, but what annoys me the most is being kept in the dark, a state of GameSalad post would be nice and an updated roadmap would be even better :wink:

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@EireStudios said:
    Ya you have some very valid points there bud, but what annoys me the most is being kept in the dark, a state of GameSalad post would be nice and an updated roadmap would be even better :wink:

100% agree, I'd love to see both.

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

Just wondering how hard to implement reward video in GS?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@app_sauce said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:

Is it really feasable for GS to contstantly be changing/adding ad services and features?

If that's your goal I feel like an engine where you can actually code things is better suited, so you can do that if you need flexibility in integrating ad services or other api's.

The thing is most of the other drag and drop engines also allow you to code if you want to. This enables people who can code to create a plugin to add api's/libraries. So it wouldn't always be "man, gs team why can't you add support for xyz api" if enough people want support for heyzap or facebook someone can create that plugin and sell it for $20 bucks. I know that the new pricing model makes it hard for me to complain since it's only a 1 month commitment but I like making games in gs. Imagine if @2create would've launched a game with Ketchapp using gamesalad because he could plugin heyzap ad mediation. I hope that gs eventually has something similar to plugins or extensions but who knows. It would definitely make it the best drag and drop engine for mobile development.

Gamesalad has something started that will do all this. It's called graphine but has been put on hold as they work on creator. I believe this will be resurrected at a future date. A group of us were alpha tester for the early builds. It will require lots of relearning but will fit this role.

• app_sauceapp_sauce Member, PRO Posts: 206

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

Gamesalad has something started that will do all this. It's called graphine but has been put on hold as they work on creator. I believe this will be resurrected at a future date. A group of us were alpha tester for the early builds. It will require lots of relearning but will fit this role.

I think they should just add the feature to gs creator if possible. Or have a plugin to create our own code and add it to creator. Otherwise it just seems like a cash grab. If graphene would have all the same features as gs plus the ability to add code what would be the point of gs creator? A cheaper price point maybe? In which case just call it gamesalad 2.0 or get rid of the gamesalad name and call everything Graphene.

SocializeTwitter , **My Site ** **Play Loop Zen Free **iOS HERE, Google Play HERE

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@app_sauce said:

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

Gamesalad has something started that will do all this. It's called graphine but has been put on hold as they work on creator.

I think they should just add the feature to gs creator if possible. Or have a plugin to create our own code and add it to creator. Otherwise it just seems like a cash grab. If graphene would have all the same features as gs plus the ability to add code what would be the point of gs creator? A cheaper price point maybe? In which case just call it gamesalad 2.0 or get rid of the gamesalad name and call everything Graphene.

Look at how many bugs every new feature has, even the bug fixes can cause bugs with the current software and old bugs continue to make regular appearances. I can only imagine the problems a feature like this would cause if it could even be done at all in the current architecture.

I'm with Lost on this one, Graphine is the answer but it always comes down to money. It would cost a ton to do and if they don't have it then we will have to wait and may never get it unless of course another company does it.

• app_sauceapp_sauce Member, PRO Posts: 206

@colander said:

I'm with Lost on this one, Graphine is the answer but it always comes down to money. It would cost a ton to do and if they don't have it then we will have to wait and may never get it unless of course another company does it.

Yea, I have no idea about the issues with the current code base vs starting over on a new code base. I would think it would be better to just iron out gamesalad and add features. Like they have been doing just not the features that I would like the most(to @Socks point). It does seem that most people are upset about not having rewarded videos. I think it would go along way if gs had this option. Even if it isn't full heyzap integration, which would cover most ad options. But, instead was a feature that has been promised for a while (chartboost rewarded videos) I would be very happy.

SocializeTwitter , **My Site ** **Play Loop Zen Free **iOS HERE, Google Play HERE

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

At the time I had the impression that Graphine was in late stages of production. But I don't think this was the case. I'm guessing half done........ huge amount of resources to finish a project like that........

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited November 2015

Graphene was built using an engine codewizard built at another company. It's super powerful and allows for much more than creator. The way creator was written makes it hard to add things. The new design has a better physics engine et... Having used it myself I can say I hope they go back to it. It is mega powerful and you can do so much more that in creator. I can only say so much as we all signed an NDA. What I can say is it wasn't a huge amount of resources as codewizard was pretty much writing it himself. The guy is a rock star coder.