Updates 1.24.40 and 1.24.5828 are live

13»

Comments

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180

Wow @viking sounds like you have something mind blowing on the making !! Google just accepted my Vikings Game! awesome!

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

yes loading times are very impressive....even if my apps broke...i don't mind....because
    loading times is very important with high end hardware phones and tablets .Thank You so...much Gamesalad Team...for your hard work.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@viking Thanks for the kind words. What we're doing is simple... we built a custom profiler for the engine. We're loading user's games and profiling them. Then we're fixing the bottlenecks we see. Simple but time consuming. It's getting better every day!

@Bitvork Your info over the weekend has been very helpful. I'll see what we can do to get some fixes for game.Time and self.Time out for you. Silly bug on my part. Sorry about that. :)

• drizzlingdrizzling Member, PRO Posts: 101

@Lost_Oasis_Games and @viking
    After I fixed the contradicting code, I totally agree My game is much much faster and stable! I've publish the previous version of game salad to android.. And it lags badly..

Just yesterday I published My game using new updated version of game salad creator for android. Totally fast like iOS. Loving it! Great job game salad team :)

Guess I have more confident sharing wif my friends soon! As they wun think there's something wrong with my game due to lag!!

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Where is GooglePlay services? we need them....dont we?

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435
    edited December 2015

@freneticz said:
    Where is GooglePlay services? we need them....dont we?

Google Play Services is tied with video ads for feature requests on bugs.gamesalad.com, so we should be getting to those early next year.

(And if you haven't voted for a feature request, please do so!)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

I say this with absolutely no criticism involved, but I'm still in actual shock at the fact requested features are getting added. It feels like the first time in years this has happened. Loving it!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Armelline said:
    I say this with absolutely no criticism involved, but I'm still in actual shock at the fact requested features are getting added. It feels like the first time in years this has happened. Loving it!

custom fonts would be such a great mike drop on 2015 :)

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71

Hey guys! :) Just wanted to see if any of you were noticing this. But for awhile now I have been using GS version 1.23.1 and the iOS viewer version 1.24.38 since I could not find the matching one and things have been fairly stable. I have used creator 1.24.40 when it first came out for a bit and really liked the overall performance with the matching iOS viewer and just the creator in general. But there is a big flaw or change to the way RAM is being handled for me. You see I'm trying to design my fairly large and kinda complex game to run on iPad 2 and above and iPhone 4S and above and this means keeping my RAM usage as low as possible to prevent a crash on a 512 MB system. Now this is sorta tough for me but has been proven so far to be do-able, that is until I use 1.24.40. :/ I ran a test and heres what I'm seeing:

With GS 1.23.1 on iOS viewer I open the game on an iPad 2 and go through my logo an start screen to the level select scene and RAM is around say 30-50ish MB and thats fine for me. I then opened the first main level scene and with my heavy actor coding it goes up to 227 MB this still is okay for me and has not crashed yet on my iPad 2. I then go on to exit the level and open a new main level scene two more times and the memory usage stays within 1 MB of it's highest point(227 MB). And adhocs work just fine with this GS version, with performance being about similar as on viewer mainly just a smaller install footprint. Statistically from what I see on the viewer readouts is that when I'm in a main level the memory is mainly allocated in the "game engine" section with the "other" section having very little. Then when I exit a level it pretty much does the exact opposite, both sections do almost an even swap! Which I find interesting, because they keep swapping back and forth between themselves keeping the total memory usage at a fairly constant value in and out of levels which is great! :D -End test-

Now with GS 1.24.40 lets repeat that same process on two devices this time. Our subjects will be an iPad 2 again and an iPad 4th gen w/(1024 MB RAM) Opening and going through the logo and start scenes goes about the same as 1.23.1 so nothing to report there. I then open the first main level scene still nothing much here to report except I get a 4-5 fps boost when moving pieces around, (not the point of this test but cool). But here's where the not so cool part happens, I exit the level and instead of the "game engine" and "other" sections swapping out as in the previous test the "game engine" section retains about 150 MB of memory! That's almost a 98% retention, with "other" and a pinch in "images" comprising the rest. Crazy stuff... So as far as the iPad 2 goes we are still running "Until the next main level scene loads" then instant crash! Now at first I didn't know the reason this happened because the statistic report got cut off because of the crash. So here's where the iPad 4th gen comes in to fill in the gap. With it I repeated the steps up until the crash. Everything was the same, except when that second level scene loaded I was dumbfounded because the total RAM usage had gone up 148 MB making it total out at 375 MB!!! Now that is just plain awful and the test wasn't even over. Loading in the third and last level brought it up to 380 MB... :| The only reason my iPad 4th gen wasn't totally gimped out was because it has 1GB of RAM. This happens with adhocs from 1.24.40 too so it's not just the viewer. What I noticed was that instead of swapping memory between levels to keep it even both the "game engine" and "other" sections just kept getting larger and for some reason swapping about 50 MB after I was in a level for about 30 seconds, not a very helpful process just confusing. Soo gladly -End test- :*

As it stands I cannot fully run a iOS viewer preview or adhoc of my game on a system with less than probably a GB out RAM from GS 1.24.40 without the app crashing at the loading of the second level. I would also like to point out that my game had no content additions or alterations between my two tests.

So please if any of you awesome GS devs and community members have read this far (I know it was long and I'm very sorry) let me know what you think of this strange but game damaging change. And please @BlackCloakGS and @stevej & other devs and GS staff take a look at this, and if possible make it like it was or better even if you can. Keep up the hard work GS dudes and many thanks and congratulations for getting through my massive post! :#

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Why are you wasting your time on ipad2 and iPhone 4? Apple has the highest new adoption rate of any device company. They will be phasing them out in the near future. There is no return on investment for targeting those devices. Those people still have them becuase they have no money. Time to move on.

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314
    edited January 2016

According to the survey, 20% of people still in use ipad2, it is the largest number, including me :smile:

check out this page
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/11/06/ipad-2-still-most-used-ipad-model-early-adoption-rates-for-ipads-on-decline

iPad 2 is still the Most Popular Model

Pad 2 was still the most commonly-used iPad in October, despite the numerous other models shipped since 2011, according to a study published on Friday by analytics firm Localytics.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Why are you wasting your time on ipad2 and iPhone 4? Apple has the highest new adoption rate of any device company. They will be phasing them out in the near future. There is no return on investment for targeting those devices. Those people still have them becuase they have no money. Time to move on.

I think the iPad 2 is great, a lot of people do, it has been a mainstay for me for awhile now. Granted they performed better with iOS 7 than 8 and 9 but iOS 7 is still supported by GS so why shouldn't I develop for fairly low end systems? It's a great baseline, because if it works great on them then it will perform stellar on newer models. Regardless an increase in memory usage by nearly 150 MB (with no change to the game) just because I'm trying to use a slightly newer GS version isn't good period! :|

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

I use an iPad2 quite a bit for testing performance and memory issues. It feels like a good baseline device and being 32-bit makes memory testing much easier.

If you have a project that seems to be causing memory issues you can send it to us and we can take a look. I feel pretty good about the memory situation now, there were a couple of leaks in the past but we fixed all the ones we could find with the projects we were testing with at the time. Maybe your project does something just a little bit different that we haven't seen before.

One recent change that may make it seem like more memory is being used on scene changes is that we only unload images/sounds that aren't going to be used in the next scene. That was always the intent, but there was a bug causing everything to be unloaded and then reloaded which was understandably bad for scene loading times so we fixed it. It'll mean you won't see a big drop in memory between scenes that use mostly the same assets, but it doesn't use more memory, you just may not see a big dip like you would before.

• wow these comments are really encouraging for the future of Gamesalad

Thanks @GeorgeGS for the reply. :) Yeah I may have to send my project in because I look forward to 1.25 and if my memory issue still persists I may need help. Thanks again!

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@kirafu said:
    According to the survey, 20% of people still in use ipad2, it is the largest number, including me :smile:

check out this page
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/11/06/ipad-2-still-most-used-ipad-model-early-adoption-rates-for-ipads-on-decline

iPad 2 is still the Most Popular Model

Agreed. People don't update iPads as quickly as their phones. There are no provider plans to do so.
    Who can afford to keep all Apple devices up to date??????????

Many people still using that iPad.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Are there any known bugs with tiled actors in the newest build