Wich sizes and art to use for games - want your opinion/advice

Hello everybody,
I want your opinion or advice on what size you use for your games.
When I make my games I usually use Iphone 5 landscape/portait wich has a size of 568x320 px. I publish only on Adroid and use the program Adobe Illustrator for the design of my game. I make it on 568x320 px, because when I import it in GS I don't have to resize it. Sometimes my games look a bit dilapidated and I want to improve that.

Do you have any suggestions or advice for me?
I'd really like to hear how you make your games and what sizes you use.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@passmits said:
    Hello everybody,
    I want your opinion or advice on what size you use for your games.
    When I make my games I usually use Iphone 5 landscape/portait wich has a size of 568x320 px.

An iPhone 5 screen is 1136 x 640 pixels (double 568 x 320 pixels), so you need to make your images double the size of the actor that they are being applied to.

So . . . for a 100 x 100 pixel actor, you need a 200 x 200 pixel image.

• passmitspassmits Member, PRO Posts: 26

@Socks said:

An iPhone 5 screen is 1136 x 640 pixels (double 568 x 320 pixels), so you need to make your images double the size of the actor that they are being applied to.

Thanks! The scene in GS has a size of 568x320 px. When you import a png of 1136x640 px you have to resize it otherwise it's too big for the scene. Is the image then still good for the game or does it look aweful when users plays the game on their smartphone ?

@passmits said:
    Thanks! The scene in GS has a size of 568x320 px. When you import a png of 1136x640 px you have to resize it otherwise it's too big for the scene.

You need to switch 'Resolution Independence' on - and then GameSalad will do all the resizing for you.

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

If I can add a question here: hi @Socks, what about 6 and 6s? Is the 5 size good enough for those and more imprtnalty, do Apple accept 5 size to enlarge to 6 and above?

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

@gyroscope said:
    If I can add a question here: hi @Socks, what about 6 and 6s? Is the 5 size good enough for those . . .

I think you could just about get away with it, but ideally you would work at a higher resolution for iPhone 6/6s and downsize for iPhone 5.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/iPhone-resolutions.png

@gyroscope said:
    and more imprtnalty, do Apple accept 5 size to enlarge to 6 and above?

I don't know the answer to that one.

OK, thanks for your help, @Socks

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

To expand further on @Socks answer

@gyroscope said:
    do Apple accept 5 size to enlarge to 6 and above?

Yes Apple do accept optimisation for the iPhone 5 and then size it up but if you are supporting iPhone 6 and it plus, like socks said, you should target this device and size down to the 5

• passmitspassmits Member, PRO Posts: 26

@Socks said:

Why is the screen in gamesalad cutted in half and not the original (1136x640 px) sizes? Does anyone know that?

edited December 2015

@passmits said:
    Why is the screen in gamesalad cutted in half and not the original (1136x640 px) sizes? Does anyone know that?

GameSalad projects are based around Apple's sizing convention (or 'points'), so when device resolutions change (iPad > iPad Retina . . . . or iPhone 4 > iPhone 5 > iPhone 6 . . . etc) as they will likely continue to, the project size doesn't need to change, you just need to change your asset resolution.

edited December 2015

@gingagaming said:
    To expand further on @Socks answer

@gyroscope said:
    do Apple accept 5 size to enlarge to 6 and above?

Yes Apple do accept optimisation for the iPhone 5 and then size it up but if you are supporting iPhone 6 and it plus, like socks said, you should target this device and size down to the 5

Thanks, @gingagaming :smile:

And that @passmits for me sharing your thread with a question. :smile: