Monthly GameSalad Meetup Thursday January 7 2016 at 7pm CST (01:00 GMT)

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited January 2016 in Official GameSalad Meetup

Topic: Time Based Reward Systems

Braydon_SFX will be presenting the talk:
Time Based Reward Systems in GameSalad

Description: Retention is an important part of creating a successful application, and reward systems are one way to entice your users to visit your game frequently. While you can create reward systems that are local on the device, there are potential issues with this strategy: players can change the device time and cheat the system to earn new rewards. But rejoice! With the introduction of the Network behaviors in GameSalad, we can now create systems that will look to online servers for data instead of the local device. Using the free app analytics system, Appformative, we can easily create reward systems that cannot be cheated; all without having to set up our own servers. The presentation will include:

-Setting up the necessary information on Appformative.com
-Creating the reward system in GameSalad Creator
-Becoming more familiar with the Network behaviors
-Best practices on when to call and retrieve information from online servers

Notes on location:

GameSalad is located on the 2nd floor of building 2.

If you can't join us in person, join us online

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looking forward to it!

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

I will try to make it.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Sounds great, I'll be there. What about a reward for those who stay online for the whole presentation? ;)

• epicmanepicman Games Developer Crewe, United KingdomMember, PRO Posts: 21

Awesome! Could this also mean that push notifications could be implemented? :smiley:

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

@epicman said:
    Awesome! Could this also mean that push notifications could be implemented? :smiley:

You can push notifications to a player who has the game open, but you cannot push them outside of the game. That will require a new feature being implemented by GameSalad.

• epicmanepicman Games Developer Crewe, United KingdomMember, PRO Posts: 21

@Armelline said:

@epicman said:

You can push notifications to a player who has the game open, but you cannot push them outside of the game. That will require a new feature being implemented by GameSalad.

Yes, I'm currently doing this within the app, users get notified when a new network record is added, however it would be far better if users would get notified when their device doesn't have the app open.

Push notifications could technically be done as the "next step" to the reward system, where the network server pings devices that are listening out for certain data, or if there is a different method, I and probably many developers would love the idea of being able to notify users when something is complete, such as games like "Clash of Clans" where users are notified when somethings upgraded, or even like "1010!" where you can remind users of your app.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

friendly reminder the meetup is tomorrow

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

I've been so wrapped up in art development for my game I didn't realise these features were available to us! Will have to watch the recording as usual but looking forward to it, :)

Talks are always great so thanks guys

Jay

Looking forward to the meetup tonight!

Just a head's up for those attending the meetup tonight - I will be posting a demo file in this thread later this afternoon that contains the necessary basic logic that Appformative requires to make contact with the server. The reason for this is so that we can skip the initial setup and get into the more "advanced" content during the presentation.

If you aren't familiar with the basic setup, I encourage you to take a few moments and read through the text tutorial here.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Braydon_SFX said:

Looking forward to catching the talk on video later, remember to put some clothes on this time, you know the problems it has caused in the past.

edited January 2016

@Socks said:

Looking forward to catching the talk on video later, remember to put some clothes on this time, you know the problems it has caused in the past.

The Emperor hath no clothes! :blush: @Braydon_SFX

With just a little over an hour to go, here's the file we'll be working off of during the presentation.

See you all in an hour!

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Starting in 5 min join now!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@PhilipCC said:

@Socks said:

The Emperor hath no clothes! :blush: @Braydon_SFX

:wink:

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Great presentation @Braydon_SFX !

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Super presentation @Braydon_SFX !

As you said, it is a great retention mechanism to have in your game! Thank you also for using APPFormative for the offline aspect for control and to avoid time hacking.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

Needed to work while this one was on, but will be eagerly anticipating the video!

edited January 2016

@RThurman said:
    Great presentation @Braydon_SFX !

@Hopscotch said:
    Super presentation @Braydon_SFX !

As you said, it is a great retention mechanism to have in your game! Thank you also for using APPFormative for the offline aspect for control and to avoid time hacking.

Thanks, guys! I was really excited to finally have a date where I was able to present! I want to do more of these!

Attached to this post is the final file we built last night. I've replaced the App ID with 0's, so the file won't work until you create an app on Appformative.com and then place the App ID in the appropriate places.

Thanks to all who attended! I had a blast!

edited January 2016

@Braydon_SFX You are a truly polished presenter who is a delight to behold. 5 :star: I can't wait for more of the same. Thank you.

@BlackCloakGS There was Poll about "Baby Boomers, Generation X, Milenials etc " sitting on the screen when I joined the webinar but we never saw the results. Kinda got my curiosity. :neutral:

@PhilipCC said:
    @Braydon_SFX You are a truly polished presenter who is a delight to behold. 5 :star: I can't wait for more of the same. Thank you.

Thank you sir!

@PhilipCC said:
    @BlackCloakGS There was Poll about "Baby Boomers, Generation X, Milenials etc " sitting on the screen when I joined the webinar but we never saw the results. Kinda got my curiosity. :neutral:

I think we showed the results before the meetup began! Whoops!

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Here's the video for you guys that missed it:

@ForumNinja said:
    Here's the video for you guys that missed it:

Thanks, Alex!

Just a side-note for those interested:

In the CoinsLogic actor, we use a timer and local game attributes to reevaluate how many seconds have passed since the game was first launched. The AF_SecondsAfterLaunch attribute has filled in the first scene by the Appformative.com network. Instead of constantly checking the online servers to see how much time has passed, we can grab information from the server once and store it in local attributes which we reevaluate in the CoinsLogic actor. This is a much more efficient option rather than checking the server every 2 seconds in that actor.

Also, I've learned that there is no limit on the data points on Appformative for this specific system. It says there is a 25,000 data point limit, but if that bar is reached this system will still work.

Thanks again to the GS Team for allowing me to present!

edited February 2016

@BlackCloakGS

Oops. Thought I was responding to a February invite. Excuse me. :blush:

Edit: I can't find an announcement of a February Meetup?

Does that mean you guys are so busy you can't fit one in? :disappointed:

Or does it mean too few people bother to attend (I know who you are - the 99.99% of you that never attend), so that it's a waste of the GS Team's time.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

There will be one, I'm about to put the announcement up now.

@PhilipCC said:
    Or does it mean too few people bother to attend (I know who you are - the 99.99% of you that never attend), so that it's a waste of the GS Team's time.

I try to attend! I try! :'(

@Braydon_SFX said:

I try to attend! I try! :'(

Try? You're always there, like the other five of us... especially when you are presenting. :D